Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #31
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,092
I got to sit on a 350 and 250 Freeride. They are a very cool consumer grade motorbike, short, soft and easy. Think KDX200 that's is 200lbs of flash, style and turnsignals. If anyone thinks the two stroke isn't street legal in Europe, they are mistaken about Euro homoligation. The Freeride 250 comes with the regular equipment for street legal status in Europe(signals, high/low beam, horn, tail light/brake light, parking light). The Italian dealer, Numero Kappa, had one of each on the floor when I visited and they are priced at Euro$6609 for the 250R and Euro$7557 for the 350. The 250R felt lighter, leaning from side to side, but the 350 looked trick and compact. Right next to the Freeride models, he had 125 Duke, 200 Duke and 390 Duke, SWEET!!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #32
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Stop View Post
who the fuck designed that graphics kit?
The level of expertise on this thread is shocking.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #33
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode View Post
Eh, i s'pose. I'd buy a 125cc four stroke fuel injected step through honda with high low range trans and somewhat modern suspension.
Lotsa good Trail 90's for sale locally.
Maybe pump one up to 8 hp,go crazy!
Old 12-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #34
crossplane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
For anyone interested in some real world feedback I picked up a freeride 250R in Brisbane AUS on Saturday - rode around on it for most of (edit: in reality, probably just a little under half a tank?) a tank of fuel over the weekend just getting a feel for it.

It's remarkably fun, I really like it, though some friends of mine have reservations regarding how 'tough' it is if you were really bombing around on it, but I can't see any reason to think you're going to break it by riding it as intended. The gearing is super short, however sixth is VERY tall, it's great actually for transit stuff.

The engine and throttle response is super crisp and it's very very torquey off the bottom and has a nice mid range - it definitely encourages shifting as not a great deal seems to happen up top. Dunno how it will be after it's run in, though.

um... what else... I unfortunately dont go on christmas holidays until the 20th so I'm stuck at work daydreaming about taking it out again, but other things I noticed -

the stock ADR (australian registration requirements) gear SUCKS, the huge fender they put on stresses the whole rear guard and it makes me really nervous about that plastic subframe.. I am going to take it off

The stock mirrors are shithouse, but once again, I just removed them and put on those plastic swivel mirrors that swivel on a ball joint to hide them.

You get a spares kit that includes spare carb needles, spare jets, etc etc - also you get a bigger front sprocket in the kit, an awesome little toolkit and you get replacement tops for the clutch and brake perches (so you can remove the OEM mirrors). I thought this was a really nice touch.

The stock tyres are awesome so far for rocky and hard pack stuff... I love them!

Clutch action is perfect but so far the brakes are really soft and while they have a lot of feel and are very progressive, I'd prefer the lever to have a bit more pressure behind it. I am almost pulling it in to the bar and the rear brake you have to really push hard. I do like having progression and feel but I don't like how much force is required.

Fit and finish of the bike is pretty damned good (it's my first KTM that I've had, but I've owned new Yamahas and Beemers before among other second hand bikes) and I'm so far pretty thrilled with the bike.

Very very positive so far, but be mindful I've only clocked around 50km on it offroad so far. Also, it's fucking loud. Like, really loud. OEM pipe is way louder than I expected. The 350 4 stroke is quiet as a whisper, this is quite loud indeed
crossplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #35
crazybond700
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
2 stroke sounds loud when its revs up, but when you go further away most of the time the 4 strokes are more hearable (when stock exhausts are mounted, open exhaust are always loudy).

Its looks like a nice bike to me, unfortunatly we dont have lots of space to ride with a bike type like this, if I would have lived in spain, italy of something like scotland I would definitly buy one (Probably the 2 stroke).

The new 350 4T has been tested and it is much better than the first years bikes. The front end is stiffer, which was a major drawback on the first years model.
crazybond700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #36
MotorcycleRN
n00b

Oddometer: 1
When will someone build direct injection 2-stroke motorcycles that are street legal in the United States of Pussyville????
MotorcycleRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #37
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleRN View Post
When will someone build direct injection 2-stroke motorcycles that are street legal in the United States of Pussyville????

Sadly, probably never. The public here has been sold on the 4-stroke is cleaner line for so long that you wold never be able to sell enough to justify production or importation.

Just look at the outboard motor market. IIRC only Mercury, Yamaha and Evinrude do 2 strokes now, and in a fairly limited range. They will likely be gone soon too. It is a shame because the direct injected engines don't smoke or smell and certainly use no more fuel than a comparable 4 stroke...

I would kill to have a modern version of a Suzuki GT750 with direct injection.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #38
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Sadly, probably never. The public here has been sold on the 4-stroke is cleaner line for so long that you wold never be able to sell enough to justify production or importation.

Just look at the outboard motor market. IIRC only Mercury, Yamaha and Evinrude do 2 strokes now, and in a fairly limited range. They will likely be gone soon too. It is a shame because the direct injected engines don't smoke or smell and certainly use no more fuel than a comparable 4 stroke...

I would kill to have a modern version of a Suzuki GT750 with direct injection.
Nissan/Tohatsu build DI EFI 2-strokes as well--we (my place of employment) are a dealer of them. They aren't going away any time soon.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #39
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
That is good to hear. Mercury keeps talking about endi production of thier OptiMax line, and given Bombardier's lack of customer support I would not be surprised if they went the way of OMC, too.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote