User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
firecrotch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
From fj1200 to nc700x

My first street bike is an '89 fj1200. I maunly use it as a commuter and occasional weekend tourer. I love the bike but half to admit am craving something newer. I just love the looks and price of the nc700x. Plus theres just an absolute ton of old fireroads where i live that id love to explore.

My concern though is that I am spoiled on the fj.

The power plant of that 1200 is just like nothing out there. I only have room for one street bike though as i already have my dirtbike too.

I really dont care about drag racing as much as I want plent of power to get me away from traffic if needed while on the freeway. That fj you barely twist the throttle half way and your doing 100 plus. The reviews I read on the Honda sound like its just a glorified scooter.

Just curious if anyone else went from a powerfull bike to the Honda and where ok or was it just to much a drop off in power?
firecrotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,469
I owned an '88 BMW R100GS and a Yamaha FZ1 at the same time. Not exactly the two bikes you are comparing, but same principle. Loved the motor in the Yammie. Sold it and kept the BMW. I've ridden the NC700x and its somewhat comparable to the beemer power wise. I miss the power of the FZ1 when I want to pass on a curvy road with short straights, but otherwise I'd rather ride the beemer. But that's me. Others would never be satisfied with the power of the Honda or beemer.

See if you can get a test ride on the Honda. It will be a lot different than the FJ. Nobody but you can tell if it will suit you.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,267
Glorified scooter, now there's a clue.

You will most certainly be unhappy with an NC700X if you have to ask.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
velocity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I have a Burgman 650, which is probably even less powerful than the NC700.

I haven't ridden the Burgman in quite a while (been enjoying a DR650, Bandit 1250, and a Stelvio 1200)... I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy the Burgman. I found a really twisty road, and the unintimidating throttle allowed me to get a nice roll-on / roll-off flow going. On the freeway it was fine. I was able to cruise at 80 for a bit, but preferred to cruise at 70 mostly, and felt relaxed doing it.

With the right frame of mind, you can enjoy the NC700. You'll have to plan your mountain road passes a bit more carefully - sometimes that's frustrating, and sometimes it's a lot of fun (like trying to get around a guy on the track who's just about as fast as you, but not quite.)
velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
SkiMan
Nora's freezin' on the...

Oddometer: 127
I rode a 90 FJ1200 for a number of years and absolutely loved the bike as a weekend tourer. Extremely comfortable with ability to cruise all day in the upper digits. Twist the throttle at any speed and your gone!

After awhile I found that it was getting a bit heavy and that I wasn't using the full potential of the FJ so decided to make the change to something with less power and lighter. I still wanted throttle response and something that would offer me the weekend touring ability (even if i had to invest in some aftermarket changes). Also wanted fuel injection!

While I initially looked at the Honda, I passed it by pretty quickly as I thought it just wouldn't offer enough of the punch I was so use to. Started looking at naked bikes that I could set up for that weekend touring I wanted.

In the end I wound up with the Yamaha FZ8 (too bad they've now abandoned it) and it's turned out to be exactly what I wanted. Fairly comfortable, can flat foot it, enough after market stuff to get it to where I want it for weekends, 55 mpg, handles nicely on the twisties, and ultimately it has the initial punch that I had in the FJ. And the kicker....got myself out the door with a leftover 2012 for just under $8k (again, this occurred before they announced the FZ-09)

Good luck with the search and what ever you decide to go with!
SkiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
My wife owns an nc700x and if you want an easy to ride, smooooooth, great gas mileage, comfortable bike then it's perfect. I've taken it out a few times with friends and its fun to lean over in the twisty's.
Kafn8td is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #7
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity View Post
I have a Burgman 650, which is probably even less powerful than the NC700.
Nope!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I took one for a spin. For a commuter, it does everything exceedingly well. But for the “experience” of motorcycling, it’s like kissing your sister.

To each his own.
’00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Like isaid above, take to the twisty's and it is surprising. It won't win any acceleration awards, that's for sure.
Kafn8td is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMasz View Post
I took one for a spin. For a commuter, it does everything exceedingly well. But for the “experience” of motorcycling, it’s like kissing your sister.

To each his own.
Good description.

I was very happy with it on the first ride and wanted to sell
everything and get an NC, but 2nd ride put things into perspective.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote