Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
FLX OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
our first road trip - seattle to cali and then...?

well, this is my first ride report or more so my first ride report to come. i'm very excited i hope it will be adv worthy even so we ride a road bike.

the plan is to leave tomorrow evening (8/30) and be back in one piece on saturday sept 7th.

the general idea is to camp the second day in norther california and then look at a map and see were to next

this is my company and transportation:

i hope the moto holds up and it will be an adventure within reason
FLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Dell_dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Sounds like a fun trip!

I'm thinking of heading to CA for a short couple day outing myself soon.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
You cant go wrong with Rainier beer aboard!

Have fun!
N-Id-Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 866
Good luck!! We need pictures!!!!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
FLX OP
Adventurer

just a quick update -> we made it and had a blast. motorbike hold up well and we ended up riding 1650 miles here is a rough map

View Larger Map

now it's time to do laundry and take a shower. day 1 with pictures to come tomorrow morning
Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
its tomorrow morning....

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
FLX OP
Adventurer

Day 1 Friday Aug 30
145 Miles
Seattle to Kalama

View Larger Map

probably one of the least exciting days, we left seattle after work and went south on I5 to kalama. traffic was really bad till olympia (about half way).
had that evening the only technical problem -> gas cab started ratcheting in both directions and i could not unscrew it. got it eventually of by taking it apart but was kinda afraid for a second our trip might end before it really started.
also had the only close call of the trip that day. i run out of gas and had to switch to reserve while changing from a slow moving lane on the interstate to a significantly faster one but luckily the guy in the fast lane hat good brakes.

break along the way:

we stayed at the kalama river in, only exciting part about it was that elvis stayed there in 1962 on his way to the worlds fair in seattle

later that night we went to a local bar and got drunk with the locals
Old 09-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
FLX OP
Adventurer

Day 2 Saturday Aug 31
Kalama to Mount Ashland Camp Ground
349 Miles

View Larger Map

one of our longest days on the trip, we left kalama in the late morning and riding on i5 that day was just perfect, south of corvalis was barely any traffic and we were able to see the landscape change at a good rate. we got our supplies for the night in ashland which is really pretty, we did not have much time to walk around but it fore sure seems like a pleasent place to live. we campt at mout ashland camp ground it's at 6,600ft and the view from up there is great. in case someone is curious: campground is free, no wather (small creak was dries out when we were there), only bummer was that they had a strict fire ban so we cloud not start the camping part with a propper fire. the last few miles from i5 to the camp ground were cravel/dirt which was a welcome chance to get get our bike a bit dirty

obligatory portland strip club picture:

break along the way:

the camping spot:

the view was amazing:

dorky star laps (45minutes), just don't see the stars that clear at home in the city:
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
FLX OP
Adventurer

Day 3
Mt Ashland Campground to Sarah Totten Campground
124 Miles

View Larger Map

well this one was a nice and short day. after making our way back thru gravel onto i5 our poor motorbike had to climb siskiyou pass -apparently the highest point on i5. i know from riding around seattle that it does not like high elevation but this pass was a whole other level, had to climb it in 3rd gear drafting a truck. lucky thing is while it's steep it also is fairly short so we got that over with. afterwards we turned west onto hwy96 and that street has to be the most fun i ever had riding. so many curves and always a nice view at something. along the way we meet some guy on a sports bike who had just dodged a deer, he and his bike were find but he broke the turn signal in the front of - for sure a wake up call and i paid a lot more attention to the side of the road instead of the hawks above me afterwards. along the way be got passed by 5 dea suv's who were going seriously fast on that narrow street, i did not think much of it at the time but the camp host was saying that there are a lot of pot farms in the woods and they probably got tipped of by some hikers. well we camped at sarah totten campground which is really scenic right by a river and went for to happy camp for beer, wine and foot. the supermarked there is good but the town is just sad, must have been a nice place to live 25years ago but now it's pretty depressing there.

company at the camp ground:

the campground:

there were deer everywhere, no woder the guy hit one:

we got steaks but had no plate so a freshly washed stone had to substitute:
Old 09-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
FLX OP
Adventurer

Day 4
Miles: 78

Sarah Totten Campground 2nd Night

well, we really liked our place at the klamath river so we decided to stay a second night. went on a short joy ride on hwy 96 in the morning then stocked up on supplies in happy camp (a town) were me meet a guy on a harley telling us about his buddy who fell asleep on a bmw because it was to quite and smooth and rode it into the river. then we went back to the camp. since we still had a lot of daylight left we decided to give the pacific crest trail a shot. was a nice workout after just sitting on the moto for the last few days. hiked for about 4 hours, was nice in the shade but a bit to warm in the sun. the elevation gain was intense.

on the trail:

96 is down there by the river, quite a climb:

view was nice:

trail sign picture:

cooling down in the klamath river:

end of day 4:
Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
FLX OP
Adventurer

Day 5
Sarah Totten Campground to Lewinston - Mary Smith Campground
180 Miles

View Larger Map

Pretty uneventful day with nice riding, original plan was to camp at lake shasta but when we stopped there it had barely any water in it so we rode on. riding 299 was pretty scenic with the view over the lakes and mary smith camp ground is a pretty good one too. only bad thing that was was that while starting the fire i managed so soak my hand in gas without noticing and when i started the fire it got really hot - still have a bubble on my pinky to remind me of that night.

lake with light:

sunset:
Old 09-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
FLX OP
Adventurer

Day 6
Mary Smith Campground to Martens Diary Campground (for Horses)
166 Miles

View Larger Map

well another day on the road, we took 299 back to redding and had some breakfast then north on i5 till weed. weed is a pretty strange pace, it has to have the biggest souvenir shop to resident ratio i ever encountered. we got our beer, wine and foot for the night there and then continued north on hwy 97. the plan to find the campground was to look for the right forest road after we passed grass lake on the left, bad news is the lake was dry so we did not notice it and overshot by quite a bit and had to backtrack. the last 15 miles to the campground are on an open range so not only had we try to stay on the bike on gravel and forest roads but also look for cows. the original martens diary camp was under construcktion so we used the horse campground close by - turns out horses and motorbikes have similar measurements

saw that along the way, thought you guys might be interested:

not much to see while riding 97:

home away from home:

the cow which ended up chasing us:

end of the day:
Old 09-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
FLX OP
Adventurer

Day 7
Marten Diary Campground to Bend
195 Miles

View Larger Map

one of the most boring days, north of upper kalamath lake hwy 97 is just straight, has a speed limit of 55 m/h and clear cut trees. we decided to stay in a hotel in bend in order to get a proper shower and adapt to city living again. bend was not as fun as i had hoped it would be, i have a few friends who go there frequently for bicycle racing and was not assuming the city would be such a retirement community with lots of trophy wife’s and poser cars. we went to a pretty cool bar with live comedy and 1$ beer so that kinda saved the city for me

gravel road back to 97:

lonely road:

found a real stuffed giraffe in a dinner:

hwy 97 and bad weather:

deschutes brewery:

vip moto parking:
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
FLX OP
Adventurer

Day 7
Bend to Big Pines
Miles: 234

View Larger Map

i have to wrap this up, going to interbike on sunday so three today.
rode 97 north across the border to washington, once in wa the speedlimit at least gets bumped up to 65, riding throu the reservation right north of the or/wa border was a interesting experience, they had bad forest fires and i could still small them. riding in oregon north of bend got really cold, should have brought more cloth with us, also climbing to mountain passes put up quite a challenge for our little motorbike, was a few times back to climbing in 3rd with the trucks. the winds on top were intense - when a truck came the opposite way either the front came up or we found ourselves a few few to the side. there were lots of remote towns with noting around for more then 50miles, wonder what they do for fun?!
last thing to note is i got stung by a bee in the troat the day, was riding at 60ish and it with hit my throat but i could not let go of the bars because of the wind, then it crawled in my collar and stung me - was not that bad the first night but then it really swoll up and i had a chubby's double chin for a few days and a hard time drinking. good news i found the be and smashed it

mountain break:

yours truly:

pee break:

riding the yakima canyon road is really fun:

short hike from the big pines camp ground:

FLX screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 08:46 PM
Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
R65

My first BMW was a new black R65. The wife and I toured a lot on it and it was always reliable, and fun to ride.

Thanks for sharing.

Art
oldenuf is online now   Reply With Quote