User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
elbigsam OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
practice spot btwn austin and san antonio

Howdy, I've had a klr for several years but still consider myself a novice rider. A friend recently bought his first bike, I steered him toward a drz 400. I'm in san antonio, he is in austin, wondering if anyone know some good spots to practice basic offroad skills somewhere in the middle? I was looking at a map? Seguin seems pretty much midway, anything in that area?
elbigsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,007
riding dirt roads or an offroad park? SW of Marble Falls are a bunch of fun dirt roads. E. of Marbles Falls on 1431 is Hidden Falls adventure park and it has lots of trails. Some pretty tough. Like I'm not sure I'd take a KLR there unless I knew what I was doing.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
elbigsam OP
Adventurer

Just looking for a place to practice skills without tresspassing.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,728
Not a lot to choose from, but as rusty mentioned your best bet is a collection of dirt county roads bordered by 290 on the south side, 281 on the east, 71 north and 16 west. Good for an afternoon of fooling around, but be aware they are public roads with no ROW on the sides that are public, and the owners will let you know it. Roads to look for are sandy-round mountain, smith-west, althuis-davis, and Llano CRs 309,310 and 315. Longer stretches can be found west of llano\doss, and west of cherokee up to lampasas.

The roads of texas mapsco map has these and others listed, and they sell those at the LBJ ranch visitor center off of 290 or your local map store. maps.google.com and mapquest.com should also show them.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
elbigsam OP
Adventurer

Thank you very much, I will get out there and try those. Got the bike up and running last night after 4 years of sitting.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
Not a lot to choose from, but as rusty mentioned your best bet is a collection of dirt county roads bordered by 290 on the south side, 281 on the east, 71 north and 16 west. Good for an afternoon of fooling around, but be aware they are public roads with no ROW on the sides that are public, and the owners will let you know it. Roads to look for are sandy-round mountain, smith-west, althuis-davis, and Llano CRs 309,310 and 315. Longer stretches can be found west of llano\doss, and west of cherokee up to lampasas.

The roads of texas mapsco map has these and others listed, and they sell those at the LBJ ranch visitor center off of 290 or your local map store. maps.google.com and mapquest.com should also show them.
Good post. The KLR is really not made for much more than that, especially with a novice rider.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote