User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Terlingua OP
Terlingua

Oddometer: 245
Bigger Battery

Last year I replaced my stock 14amp battery with shorai 18amp it did a better job starting my bike in HOT weather. But for the last few months I have been working to much to ride. I started it last month and I've had it on the charger over night. Yesterday I try to stater it but it was dead. I call Shorai their are trading me out at 50% off. I ask if there was any thing with more amp's that would fit? Yep, LFX21AG-BS12,,CCA315. So it on the way. I'll like you know how it dose.
09 KTM 450 XC W-plated
Terlingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terlingua View Post
Last year I replaced my stock 14amp battery with shorai 18amp it did a better job starting my bike in HOT weather. But for the last few months I have been working to much to ride. I started it last month and I've had it on the charger over night. Yesterday I try to stater it but it was dead. I call Shorai their are trading me out at 50% off. I ask if there was any thing with more amp's that would fit? Yep, LFX21AG-BS12,,CCA315. So it on the way. I'll like you know how it dose.
sorry ... but you went to a smaller battery. Shorai LFX18 actual AH is less than 1/2 of KTM 990's factory spec 11AH AGM. KTM 950 oem spec'd a 14AH AGM .. LFX18 is about 1/3 of actual amp hour originally spec for KTM 950. Shorai LFX21 measured about 6AH actual at 1amp drain rate.

assuming you've got a 950Adv, Shorai LFX18 is way too small for a 1,000cc class bike. if your 950 is doing adventure duties like a LOT of KTM folks. you need the largest LiFePO4 you can stuff into space available. or stick with stock 14AH AGM. for trips close to home in moderate temperatures LFX21 might do the job?

visit this orange crush thread where I've just finished doing tech support for a 990Adv in Finland on a RTW. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914232

pretty much all the issues will be covered in detail above link ..

Shorai LFX36 next to EarthX ETX36 ... assuming you've got enough space, both will do a good job in your KTM950 for adventure duties. EarthX has the advantage of internal BMS, overcharge and under discharge MOSFET protections.

_cy_ screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 03:42 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Terlingua OP
Terlingua

Eh? Ok

Well hell I thought I'd found some thing to share.
09 KTM 450 XC W-plated
Old 08-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well hell I thought I'd found some thing to share.
you have .. most KTM folks are not aware of this LifePO4 info...
yet KTM folks are the most like to splurge $$$ to save 10+ lbs on a LiFePO4 battery.

fess up ... most KTM folks are weight wienies

_cy_ screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 04:23 PM
Old 08-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Terlingua OP
Terlingua

Cv

Now you have me thanking, yes it has a smaller case. But the CCA and the Ah is by their spec higher. The bike started fine when hot with the 18ah I was just look for more if posable. Now you tell me that 14ah battery with 220CCA is about the same as 21Ah battery with 315CCA. Enlighten me.
09 KTM 450 XC W-plated
Old 08-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Terlingua OP
Terlingua

weight wienies?

Really? Are you really from Oklahoma? Because I've never heard any one form there that use them kind of words. Are you just a BMW snob trying to show off?
09 KTM 450 XC W-plated
Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Now you have me thanking, yes it has a smaller case. But the CCA and the Ah is by their spec higher. The bike started fine when hot with the 18ah I was just look for more if posable. Now you tell me that 14ah battery with 220CCA is about the same as 21Ah battery with 315CCA. Enlighten me.
yup really from Oklahoma, yep I ride an old airhead everywhere ... LiFePO4 batteries are typically rated with PB/EQ or lead acid equivalent. actual amp hour capacity is what you really want to know. checking out my LiFePO4 testing thread for mucho more info...

just kidding about weight wienies ... anyone riding a beast like 950 can't be tooo concerned about weight

my R80G/S is a pig at 368 dry, 450lb with 9gals fuel. been checking out KTM to get down below 300lbs wet for TAT. but probably will do it with my old airhead.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
I went through 2 shorais. They are fine in warm weather, but I think I cooked on a long ride last year during high temps on the slab. And in the cold, they suck. I had the first one replaced due to a "bad cell" but then they only offered me a 50% refund on the second one (and the said my charging system was probably to blame which I know is not the case.) I ended up keeping it and use it in my RC51 for now but I won't rely on it for an extended trip or harsh weather (either really hot or really cold.) I went back to the stock Yuasa for the KTM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I went through 2 shorais. They are fine in warm weather, but I think I cooked on a long ride last year during high temps on the slab. And in the cold, they suck. I had the first one replaced due to a "bad cell" but then they only offered me a 50% refund on the second one (and the said my charging system was probably to blame which I know is not the case.) I ended up keeping it and use it in my RC51 for now but I won't rely on it for an extended trip or harsh weather (either really hot or really cold.) I went back to the stock Yuasa for the KTM.
what model Shorai and what model KTM?
at what cold temp did problems begin?
what's the voltage measured at battery when engine is rev'd to 4,000rpm?

Shorai makes a good LiFePo4 but only if you install one with large enough actual amp hour capacity. using a too small LiFePO4 is one of the most common reasons for failure.

KTM 990 used for adventure duties needs a LiFePO4 battery with actual amp hour equal to original KTM 11AH AGM. this is where problems starts .. LiFePO4 mfg don't provide actual AH spec's so it's very hard to determine which battery to go without some help.

for adventure duties correct size Shorai LiFePO4 battery for KTM990 is LFX36, but unfortunately case will not fit in 990. EarthX ETX36 will fit in 990Adv, has internal BMS, overcharge and under discharge protections using MOSFETs.

if your KTM 990 is doing adventure duties in the middle of no-where in cold weather... go with stock 11AH AGM or the largest LiFePO4 you can stuff into space available.

_cy_ screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 11:09 AM
Old 08-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
what model Shorai and what model KTM?
at what cold temp did problems begin?
what's the voltage measured at battery when engine is rev'd to 4,000rpm?

Shorai makes a good LiFePo4 but only if you install one with large enough actual amp hour capacity. using a too small LiFePO4 is one of the most common reasons for failure.

KTM 990 used for adventure duties needs a LiFePO4 battery with actual amp hour equal to original KTM 11AH AGM. this is where problems starts .. LiFePO4 mfg don't provide actual AH spec's so it's very hard to determine which battery to go without some help.

for adventure duties correct size Shorai LiFePO4 battery for KTM990 is LFX36, but unfortunately case will not fit in 990. EarthX ETX36 will fit in 990Adv, has internal BMS, overcharge and under discharge protections using MOSFETs.

if your KTM 990 is doing adventure duties in the middle of no-where in cold weather... go with stock 11AH AGM or the largest LiFePO4 you can stuff into space available.
I have a 950 and had the 18. I believe it was 14.1 volts, with high beams and fans kicking on under load it measured 13.7 -13.8, which was dead in the range specified by Shorai while under load. First Shorai battery was a LFX18A1-BS12,which was replaced by same.

Trouble in cold weather was basically anything under about 45 degrees and got a lot worse the colder it got. When it was in the 30's I would have to do the whole vodoo start method in cold weather. Turn the bike on, let some current run, attempt to start. Turn bike off turn back on repeat until it would fire up. I wanted to like the battery. But for me the trouble was not worth the weight savings/longer supposed life and I did not feel it was going to perform well in my particular climate. I had my original stock yuasa go for 4 years without ever being on a tender.

I know some people have had better luck with them, just sharing my experience.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I have a 950 and had the 18. I believe it was 14.1 volts, with high beams and fans kicking on under load it measured 13.7 -13.8, which was dead in the range specified by Shorai while under load. First Shorai battery was a LFX18A1-BS12,which was replaced by same.

Trouble in cold weather was basically anything under about 45 degrees and got a lot worse the colder it got. When it was in the 30's I would have to do the whole vodoo start method in cold weather. Turn the bike on, let some current run, attempt to start. Turn bike off turn back on repeat until it would fire up. I wanted to like the battery. But for me the trouble was not worth the weight savings/longer supposed life and I did not feel it was going to perform well in my particular climate. I had my original stock yuasa go for 4 years without ever being on a tender.

I know some people have had better luck with them, just sharing my experience.
KTM 950 stock 14AH AGM ... Shorai LFX18 is about 1/3 actual amp hour capacity of original 14AH AGM.

Li-ion batteries has an extremely low internal resistance so delivery of power is different from lead acid. but amp hour reserve capacity is measured the same.

Li-ion will deliver max current until battery is almost dead. then power will take a dramatic drop. under warm conditions. KTM 950 provided there are no issues will normally start with a few seconds of cranking. LFX18 will deliver starting under ideal conditions. but what happens if/when conditions are not so ideal... like when temps drop to say 25f?

LiFePO4 batteries performance dramatically changes when temps drop. this is where having reserve amp hour capacity comes in. there's also cold start procedures that uses up current to warm up LiFePo4 battery. that requires reserve AH capacity which is very small with LFX18.

if your KTM 950 had been fitted with a LiFePO4 battery close to your original 14AH AGM with a Shorai LFX36 or EarthX ETX36 .. you'd be extremely happy instead of an unhappy camper.

Shorai LFX36 next to EarthX ETX36, which has advantage of internal BMS, overcharge and under discharge protections.

_cy_ screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 12:20 PM
Old 09-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
KTM 950 stock 14AH AGM ... Shorai LFX18 is about 1/3 actual amp hour capacity of original 14AH AGM.

Li-ion batteries has an extremely low internal resistance so delivery of power is different from lead acid. but amp hour reserve capacity is measured the same.

Li-ion will deliver max current until battery is almost dead. then power will take a dramatic drop. under warm conditions. KTM 950 provided there are no issues will normally start with a few seconds of cranking. LFX18 will deliver starting under ideal conditions. but what happens if/when conditions are not so ideal... like when temps drop to say 25f?

LiFePO4 batteries performance dramatically changes when temps drop. this is where having reserve amp hour capacity comes in. there's also cold start procedures that uses up current to warm up LiFePo4 battery. that requires reserve AH capacity which is very small with LFX18.

if your KTM 950 had been fitted with a LiFePO4 battery close to your original 14AH AGM with a Shorai LFX36 or EarthX ETX36 .. you'd be extremely happy instead of an unhappy camper.

Shorai LFX36 next to EarthX ETX36, which has advantage of internal BMS, overcharge and under discharge protections.
CY. Thanks for the addition info. I admit i didnt know that detail. I had done some basic research when i got the shorai and figured i would give it a try. It didnt work out for me. Maybe next time ill try the route you suggest. For now the stocker is what i will run. I probably have another couple of years with it. My first lasted almost 4 years.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
Terlingua OP
Terlingua

New battery

The lady at shorai told me the Lfx21a6 would fit. Well it may fit some thing but it ant a Ktm 950. So back it go. Has any one try the Antigravity Ag1201 yet? it small enough to fit and has 360 CCA.
09 KTM 450 XC W-plated
Old 09-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

here's Shorai LFX21 next to EarthX ETX24 which has been confirmed to fit 990Adv. someone just came back from Artic circle summer trip 990Adv with EarthX ETX24. for winter duties ETX36 would be correct and fits 990. Shorai LFX36 would also do an excellent job for winter. but case size is too big for 990.

EarthX has advantage of internal BMS for cell balancing, high/low voltage protections with MOSFETs.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 986
339 bucks for the EarthX36,,,,,
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote