ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Almont & Crested Butte trails and road recommendations

I'm headed to the city of Almont Co 7/2 to float the gunni with my kayak and do some trail riding.. I'm more into views and vista's than technical riding..

Anyone care to share or PM me their favorite rides/dry camping sites in the Almont area? I wouldn't mind trying some easy single track since I never have..

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
Some really good video in this thread of some of the single track nearby.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912143
Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,325
I'm assuming you're using the Suzuki 400? The Reno Divide 2-track over to American Flag has a few rough spots in it, but that 360 degree view from the top of AF is amazing and worth it. The roughest spots are in that Reno Divide section, but I've ridden it on a KLR650. Just slowly pick your way through a few short rocky sections, and it will be worth it.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I'm assuming you're using the Suzuki 400? The Reno Divide 2-track over to American Flag has a few rough spots in it, but that 360 degree view from the top of AF is amazing and worth it. The roughest spots are in that Reno Divide section, but I've ridden it on a KLR650. Just slowly pick your way through a few short rocky sections, and it will be worth it.
Yes.. A 07 DRZ400s with guards and knobbies..

Iv done cumberland pass and st elmo last year. Cotton wood rd.

My skill level isn't what concerns me as much as my physical ability. After 4 days last august , I could barely walk.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,338
Some fun easy-to why the hell did I do this on my DR. Is out at Hartmans Rocks, just South of Gunny. They have a good map at the trailhead. It is a great trip if you only have a few hours. I ride it every time I go to Gunny to see my daughter.
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,049
Crusty Butt

Two things that would be easy for you to do and scenic would be:

From Altmont, south on 135 towards Gunnison for 6.8 miles, right on 730 (paved and dirt) for 23 miles to 12, where 730 dead ends into 12, you can go left for 24 miles (dirt) out to the paved road and turn around for a 30 miles ride (all CO 12) back to Crested Butte. For a shorter ride, just turn righ,t and it is 6 miles to Crested butte.

Go north out of Crested Butte on Gothic Rd for 1/2 mile, turn left on Slate River Rd, go 9 miles down Slate River Rd to where the road turns up the big hill, from the bottom of the big hill, go 2 miles (up the hill) to a right turn onto Paradise Divide Rd, follow the Paradise Divide Rd for 1.2 miles to Washington Gulch Rd, turn right and it is 7.5 miles back to Gothic Rd. When you get back to Gothic Rd, you can go left for a easy ride up to Schofield Pass (all the hard stuff is past the sign at the top of this pass), or go right for a short ride back to Crested Butte.

Gothic Mountain

West Beckwith Mountain from Co 12

CO 730

The Hill

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report

andy29847 screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 04:09 AM
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 273
Ummm, that's not The Raggeds, not that it really matters, that is West Beckwith moiuntain, nevertheless, those directions are pretty much right. My preference is to go up "the hill," known as the switchbacks, and NOT turn right to Washington Gulch, but instead turn left to Paradise Divide, cross over and descend Gothic road. Paradise Divide is, well, paradise.

You can also go up into Taylor Canyon to Taylor Park, Tin Cup, etc., but this year you have to go north on 135 to the Jack's Cabin cutoff to get there due to construction.

Other non-technical rides are East of Gunnison to 114, up 114 to, I think it's FR 788, Los Pinos Pass, i can't remember all the road numbers right now, but it's all well marked. From Los Pinos pass you can turn left on CR 27 and ascend to Slumgullion pass (saw two moose on that route the other day) or descend to highway 149. From the top of Slumgullion, a right drops you to Lake City and the Mocha Moose Coffeehouse. From Lake City, you could take one of several routes into the San Juans, or The Alpine Plateau road to Highway 50 west of Gunnison. From the intersection of CR 27 and 149 south takes you to Lake City, North back to Gunnison.

Or, make the mostly paved loop from Almont, 135 to Gunny, 50 west to 92, 92 over Black Mesa (spectacular), to Crawford, Paonia, buy some fresh peaches, then 133 to Kebler pass and back to Almont through Crested Butte, or down Ohio Creek over Ohio Pass. If you go through CB, stop at Camp 4 coffee - you can tell I ride a GS.

The point is, the rides, non-technical and very scenic, are just as prolific around here as the single-track. Just pick a direction and go. It's really hard to find the ugly parts.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
jnclem
True Airhead

Now, after all that writing, I see that you say you are coming on 7/2, but posted today. Can we assume you meant 9/2?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:08 AM   #9
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Ummm, that's not The Raggeds, not that it really matters, that is West Beckwith moiuntain
Thanks for the correction, I don't care if he goes or not. It is fun to look at the pictures and remember the rides. I have stayed in Gunnison but always rode north of US 50. I'll have to try the route over to Slumgullion that you mentioned.

CO 730

Slate River Rd.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
Now, after all that writing, I see that you say you are coming on 7/2, but posted today. Can we assume you meant 9/2?
My bad.. Yes September 2nd..

Thanks everyone.. Now I need to figure out the trails mentioned, and add them to my googlemap.. Unless a online map already exits?

Last year I was overwhelmed with info gathered here.. So much, I needed internet access to retrieve all of it. Wasnt to bad running down to pitkin general store for internet.

Any suggestions the best way to compile/store info so you don't need to be tethered to verizon? All hand written? Or a memory stick/laptop?
Old 08-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
My bad.. Yes September 2nd..

Thanks everyone.. Now I need to figure out the trails mentioned, and add them to my googlemap.. Unless a online map already exits?

Last year I was overwhelmed with info gathered here.. So much, I needed internet access to retrieve all of it. Wasnt to bad running down to pitkin general store for internet.

Any suggestions the best way to compile/store info so you don't need to be tethered to verizon? All hand written? Or a memory stick/laptop?
Hmmm...sounds rather complicated. I think I'd just get a map and either mark on the map or write down my own instructions in my own hand to apply to my map later. I'm sure there are even GPS tracks out there for these rides, but all the ones I've seen mentioned here are easy to follow with either just some map marks or following a few, simple, handwritten instructions. Or print the maps out on Google Earth with your own big red marker lines to follow. Honestly...most of the routes mentioned here will be readily identifiable if you have a decent map in hand. It's not a Lewis & Clark adventure.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Hmmm...sounds rather complicated. I think I'd just get a map and either mark on the map or write down my own instructions in my own hand to apply to my map later. I'm sure there are even GPS tracks out there for these rides, but all the ones I've seen mentioned here are easy to follow with either just some map marks or following a few, simple, handwritten instructions. Or print the maps out on Google Earth with your own big red marker lines to follow. Honestly...most of the routes mentioned here will be readily identifiable if you have a decent map in hand. It's not a Lewis & Clark adventure.
This. I still prefer real maps to gps. Just fill up your tank and start riding, it'll work out fine. Impossible to have a bad ride in that area. Period.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
This. I still prefer real maps to gps. Just fill up your tank and start riding, it'll work out fine. Impossible to have a bad ride in that area. Period.
Yes. I don't use gps either.. Iv got good maps, know how to use them, and gunni is close for more.
But its convenient to be able to search around the net for inspiration for the next days spur of the moment ride, while farting around in the evening though. It does make you feel humbled when all your notes vanish with the verizon signal. Googlemaps is great for finding dispersed camp sites spur of the moment..

Shit, I might head to telluride after a few days, dunno , and I'd be asking here, from a grocery store parking lot in Montrose, where to ride. Maybe clear creek res. Im not going to want to come back even worse this year.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
jnclem
True Airhead

Answering your question inspired me to ride Paridise Divide today. Beautiful as always. Still a little snow up there, but not on the road. It has been very wet in the area, and I was surprised by some of the road washouts. All of that was in very tame areas though, and easy work arounds. Great ride.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I cant wait.

I was thinking about renting a MTB at crested butte's last weekend, and riding the evolution bike park..

Worth it?