ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
I cant wait.

I was thinking about renting a MTB at crested butte's last weekend, and riding the evolution bike park..

Worth it?
Definitely worth renting a MTB if you like riding pristine single-track - we have some of the best in the world. CB Sports, and the Alpineer both rent I think. But, I don't know anything about the bike park, I've been riding the area since 1986 and have yet to go to a bike park. There are real trails everywhere - once again, a map is your friend. Pick one up and ask MTB questions at one of the two places mentioned above.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #17
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I'm here now.. Survived a car fire at the top of monarch pass when Insulation fell on the turbo.. yea.. Now pyro gauge wont work.. intermittent.

Anyway.. Rode cement creek the first day. Ass already hurts. Meet the cutest pair of rangers you could ever dream.. Kickin myself for not taking a pic, they were so nice.. and did I mention cute?

I need a recommendation for some easy single track around crested butte?

Fritz at gunny motorsports told me Hartman rocks, and said they groom them.. I need a bit more I do believe, but I'm headed there right now..
Old 09-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
fooswolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I don't know if it is easy or not but I've heard the 401 trail up on Gothic Road is a beautiful single track trail for bicycles.. There are videos on youtube.
fooswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
I'm here now.. Survived a car fire at the top of monarch pass when Insulation fell on the turbo.. yea.. Now pyro gauge wont work.. intermittent.

Anyway.. Rode cement creek the first day. Ass already hurts. Meet the cutest pair of rangers you could ever dream.. Kickin myself for not taking a pic, they were so nice.. and did I mention cute?

Fritz at gunny motorsports told me Hartman rocks, and said they groom them.. I need a bit more I do believe, but I'm headed there right now..
Don't leave CB without one evening at the Wooden Nickel. Period!
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
jnclem
True Airhead

Quote:

Single track for MTB, or for Moto? Miles of it at Hartman's for sure, but for easy ST for MTB around CB, try the Lupine Trail and come back in on the Lower Loop. Good views, great ride. 401 is fantastic, but a long ride and push up to the top to start. Love that ride, I just have no idea what kind of shape you are in fresh up from Iowa. For MTB riding around CB, ask at the Alpineer in CB, rather than Gunnison Motorsports.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #21
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Single track for moto.. I will try to locate the suggestions when I get back to my map. Some I have a good idea.

Just finished floating from almont to gunni in a tandem lake kayak.. Wow..

Rode gunsight pass the day before..

Seems to me I enjoy the trails the most right before all the chatter loose rocks start messing with me. First gear isnt quite low enough. Didnt really like hartman rocks.. Not much for the desert and limited traction in the sand.

Regardless if my cummins wont get me home.. Im here now and eating it up!

You guys have been a great help. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #22
jnclem
True Airhead

Quote:
Single track for moto.. I will try to locate the suggestions when I get back to my map. Some I have a good idea.

Just finished floating from almont to gunni in a tandem lake kayak.. Wow..

Rode gunsight pass the day before..

Seems to me I enjoy the trails the most right before all the chatter loose rocks start messing with me. First gear isnt quite low enough. Didnt really like hartman rocks.. Not much for the desert and limited traction in the sand.

Regardless if my cummins wont get me home.. Im here now and eating it up!

You guys have been a great help. Thanks!
OK, I'm not so good with single track for the moto, but I know the area for MTB very well. 401 is not open to Motos. All the stuff up cement creek is always covered with them, block and tackle, double top, reno-flag-bear- and the deadman's switchbacks. The one's i mentioned, Lupine and Lower loop are closed to motos. If you haven't been up Slate River, over Paradise Divide, and down East River, don't miss that one - not ST, but spectacular.

Sorry I can't be more help, my bike is too big and I am too unskilled to ride much ST on it. I just do the easy stuff.

Oh, another one is Doctor Park. Up the Taylor Canyon to Harmells, left up Spring Creek, right turn up there onto Dr. Park trail, takes you back down to Taylor just above where you started.

Have fun, and let me know if you need a good mechanic for your van.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
OK, I'm not so good with single track for the moto, but I know the area for MTB very well. 401 is not open to Motos. All the stuff up cement creek is always covered with them, block and tackle, double top, reno-flag-bear- and the deadman's switchbacks. The one's i mentioned, Lupine and Lower loop are closed to motos. If you haven't been up Slate River, over Paradise Divide, and down East River, don't miss that one - not ST, but spectacular.

Sorry I can't be more help, my bike is too big and I am too unskilled to ride much ST on it. I just do the easy stuff.

Oh, another one is Doctor Park. Up the Taylor Canyon to Harmells, left up Spring Creek, right turn up there onto Dr. Park trail, takes you back down to Taylor just above where you started.

Have fun, and let me know if you need a good mechanic for your van.
I'm guessing he did Slate if he did Gunsight Pass since it's on the route. I agree, Slate was beautiful scenery. I did Gunsight, Slate Road, and some other out-and-back ride off of Slate. Neat area.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Did most of the rides mentioned. Heading over to Taylor now. I could use any contacts for my cummins.. Pm me please..
Old 09-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After a turbo fire on monarch pass.. A "should I unhook the trailer and save it kind of moment". and almost catastrophic engine failure.. I arrived in almont CG. Found a pair of strange prescription eye glasses in the trailer after a short walk.. FREAKY!
But I must say after all the rides I took in the almont area. Crested butte is the most beautiful. Particularly gothic rd. and above lake Irwin

I dont think Im ready to dry camp up there yet. But one day..

rebar screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 06:43 PM
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote