User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
ColoradoBigfoot OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
It was the best of times/worst of times

Well my divorce from KTM is finalized. Sold all remaining KTM "stuff" I have accumulated over the last 1.25yrs of brand ownership. There have been other motorcycles in my past that, when we parted ways for one reason or the other, there were no hard feelings (so to speak). Not so with the 990R. Maybe my "anger" stems from the fact that I absolutely loved the motorcycle.......when it was running and not in need of "repairs". My 2012 bike needed three trips to the shop. Two of these problems occurred while on multi-day rides which required vehicular "rescue". Because of this I lost faith in the bike. Not very "fun" to hope your bike starts every time you turn it off, especially when your miles in on some forest road BFE. I lost faith in the brand when they did not cover one of the problems under warranty (exp apr, serviced in early Jun). The dealership went to bat for me, but KTM refused ($145 repair).

So....you may say "don't let the door hit you on the way out" or "once you get past these "common" problems associated with the 990 it will run forever". Either way I no longer respect the brand and here are my talking points:
  • Folks often say you only hear the bad things on blogs like this and are not representative of the whole body of work for a bike. Well, this site is pretty accurate in the problems associated with the 990.
  • The 2012 990R is the last in a long production run yet still has the same issues as one produced 4 years ago. Had I known the problems that I read about on this site before purchase were so widespread amongst all the bikes produced (and not just a select few) I would have never bought one. Crazy to say, but I feel tricked by KTM. Won't happen again.
  • Seems the only things that do not need replacement (or break) are non-KTM components like suspension, bars, brakes.
  • After experiencing some of the common problems discussed here during my first year of ownership, I began to believe the calls for replacing fuel filters, water pumps, batteries, etc., etc.. as a preventative measure to avoid breakdown. Found this to be totally unacceptable on a last-of-the-line, $15k motorcycle.
  • In summary, I made a bad purchase of a poorly constructed (side-stand relocate?), overly priced motorcycle and I am angry at myself and very, very disappointed in the KTM brand...more Harley than Honda
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,034
(i am going to research your posts because i want to know what would drive someone away)

*edited* i went through your posts in the last year, and no mention to issues that make the 990 suck, or specifically the problem you had with yours.

details? or was this post just general whining?
NY to Inuvik to Deadhorse Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
tcskibike2008
SnowHawker

Oddometer: 191
Sorry you had such a bad experience. I for one would never buy a new bike of any brand, I let some one like yourself pay through the nose and work out all the issues just to buy it from you at half the price.. I bought a 2004 950ADV at 6K and could probably sell it for that still after 3 years.

Someone is probably getting a well sorted out bike that's going to last for years.

You sound like a Japanese bike will suit you better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBigfoot View Post
Well my divorce from KTM is finalized. Sold all remaining KTM "stuff" I have accumulated over the last 1.25yrs of brand ownership. There have been other motorcycles in my past that, when we parted ways for one reason or the other, there were no hard feelings (so to speak). Not so with the 990R. Maybe my "anger" stems from the fact that I absolutely loved the motorcycle.......when it was running and not in need of "repairs". My 2012 bike needed three trips to the shop. Two of these problems occurred while on multi-day rides which required vehicular "rescue". Because of this I lost faith in the bike. Not very "fun" to hope your bike starts every time you turn it off, especially when your miles in on some forest road BFE. I lost faith in the brand when they did not cover one of the problems under warranty (exp apr, serviced in early Jun). The dealership went to bat for me, but KTM refused ($145 repair).

So....you may say "don't let the door hit you on the way out" or "once you get past these "common" problems associated with the 990 it will run forever". Either way I no longer respect the brand and here are my talking points:
  • Folks often say you only hear the bad things on blogs like this and are not representative of the whole body of work for a bike. Well, this site is pretty accurate in the problems associated with the 990.
  • The 2012 990R is the last in a long production run yet still has the same issues as one produced 4 years ago. Had I known the problems that I read about on this site before purchase were so widespread amongst all the bikes produced (and not just a select few) I would have never bought one. Crazy to say, but I feel tricked by KTM. Won't happen again.
  • Seems the only things that do not need replacement (or break) are non-KTM components like suspension, bars, brakes.
  • After experiencing some of the common problems discussed here during my first year of ownership, I began to believe the calls for replacing fuel filters, water pumps, batteries, etc., etc.. as a preventative measure to avoid breakdown. Found this to be totally unacceptable on a last-of-the-line, $15k motorcycle.
  • In summary, I made a bad purchase of a poorly constructed (side-stand relocate?), overly priced motorcycle and I am angry at myself and very, very disappointed in the KTM brand...more Harley than Honda
tcskibike2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
ColoradoBigfoot OP
Adventurer

First issue May 2012, speed sensor cable around 400 miles. Speedo went crazy and would go from 0-112mph while I putted along in 1st gear. This also impacted my tripmeter and odometer to where I had no clue as to my DTE. Ride ended then and there, returned home under power. Fixed under warranty.
Second issue, Jun 2013 (near 12k miles). Bike just died on me. No sputter, No electrical spaz. Just as if I turned the key off. Dealer said he found a hose/quick-clip fastener disconnected in or near the tank. Not sure exactly and frankly don't care. It was broke and I wanted it fixed. Dealer felt, after he repaired it, that it had to have been poorly connected at the factory (based on how it connected for him, way to joined to rattle lose).
Not covered under warranty.
Third issue Aug 2013, First mullti-day ride since issue 2. Road 348 miles on day one. Bike ran perfect. Parked at hotel, went to start next morning, no fire. Tried to push start w/o luck. charged battery for over 2hrs. turned over readily, but again no fire.
Vowed to sell the bike and never ride it again. Do not know what the problem was the third time and don't care. Bike sold Aug 2013.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
ColoradoBigfoot OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcskibike2008 View Post
Sorry you had such a bad experience. I for one would never buy a new bike of any brand, I let some one like yourself pay through the nose and work out all the issues just to buy it from you at half the price.. I bought a 2004 950ADV at 6K and could probably sell it for that still after 3 years.

Someone is probably getting a well sorted out bike that's going to last for years.

You sound like a Japanese bike will suit you better.
Damn tootin' about a Japanese bike. Would have bought a Honda adventure in a New York minute had they made something comparable to the 990r. Again, go back and read my talking points. Friggin' crazy to expect/accept the types of issues the 990 that has a cost of $15k...personally I treat used bikes like used cars, stay away if possible. Thought I was buying a quality product with the KTM (new) hoped it would be the last bike for me.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
don't let the door hit you on the way out
!

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
First issue May 2012, speed sensor cable around 400 miles. Speedo went crazy and would go from 0-112mph while I putted along in 1st gear. This also impacted my tripmeter and odometer to where I had no clue as to my DTE. Ride ended then and there, returned home under power. Fixed under warranty.
Second issue, Jun 2013 (near 12k miles). Bike just died on me. No sputter, No electrical spaz. Just as if I turned the key off. Dealer said he found a hose/quick-clip fastener disconnected in or near the tank. Not sure exactly and frankly don't care. It was broke and I wanted it fixed. Dealer felt, after he repaired it, that it had to have been poorly connected at the factory (based on how it connected for him, way to joined to rattle lose).
Not covered under warranty.
Third issue Aug 2013, First mullti-day ride since issue 2. Road 348 miles on day one. Bike ran perfect. Parked at hotel, went to start next morning, no fire. Tried to push start w/o luck. charged battery for over 2hrs. turned over readily, but again no fire.
Vowed to sell the bike and never ride it again. Do not know what the problem was the third time and don't care. Bike sold Aug 2013.
I have owned a 950 SM since new and have over 44,000 miles on it. I have had ups and downs but always loved the bike and it still never fails to put a smile on my face. I went out and purchased the actual Shop Manual and have lurked here and used the HOW and in the process have become a proficient mechanic on the LC8 the past 4+ years. These bikes are not for someone who is going to run to the dealer everytime the bike has a small issue. These are a bit tempermental but the riding experience is worth some of the shit you go through to those of us who really love these big katooms. Hell I had one dealer (KTM multi line dealer) that doesn't know shit about this bike and I will never take there again. Issues AND solutions are very well documented on this site. If whoever bought the bike is able to read and comes across this site, they will no doubt sort out what sound like minor issues and have an incredibly awesome machine.

It is too bad you had a bad experience. But complaining about a connector that came loose after riding the bike over 12,000 miles, in your words seems a little overreaching:

"Dealer said he found a hose/quick-clip fastener disconnected in or near the tank. Not sure exactly and frankly don't care. It was broke and I wanted it fixed. Dealer felt, after he repaired it, that it had to have been poorly connected at the factory (based on how it connected for him, way to joined to rattle lose).Not covered under warranty."

Was it the quick disconnect fuel line? If so, just using basic trouble shooting you could have identified and fixed this without a trip to the dealer. It is too bad you didn't use this site for assistance with your issues instead of using it to bash the brand.

I understand there are people who just want to ride their bikes and not turn a wrench themselves, KTM's are probably not the bike for those folks. But because you don't seem to have even bothered to try and diagnose what the issues were, and to me without knowing more details they could have been an easy fix as a loose battery terminal connection for the third issue, I think your case of hatred for the bike is pretty weak. Good luck with your next bike.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
ColoradoBigfoot OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I have owned a 950 SM since new and have over 44,000 miles on it. I have had ups and downs but always loved the bike and it still never fails to put a smile on my face. I went out and purchased the actual Shop Manual and have lurked here and used the HOW and in the process have become a proficient mechanic on the LC8 the past 4+ years. These bikes are not for someone who is going to run to the dealer everytime the bike has a small issue. These are a bit tempermental but the riding experience is worth some of the shit you go through to those of us who really love these big katooms. Hell I had one dealer (KTM multi line dealer) that doesn't know shit about this bike and I will never take there again. Issues AND solutions are very well documented on this site. If whoever bought the bike is able to read and comes across this site, they will no doubt sort out what sound like minor issues and have an incredibly awesome machine.

It is too bad you had a bad experience. But complaining about a connector that came loose after riding the bike over 12,000 miles, in your words seems a little overreaching:

"Dealer said he found a hose/quick-clip fastener disconnected in or near the tank. Not sure exactly and frankly don't care. It was broke and I wanted it fixed. Dealer felt, after he repaired it, that it had to have been poorly connected at the factory (based on how it connected for him, way to joined to rattle lose).Not covered under warranty."

Was it the quick disconnect fuel line? If so, just using basic trouble shooting you could have identified and fixed this without a trip to the dealer. It is too bad you didn't use this site for assistance with your issues instead of using it to bash the brand.

I understand there are people who just want to ride their bikes and not turn a wrench themselves, KTM's are probably not the bike for those folks. But because you don't seem to have even bothered to try and diagnose what the issues were, and to me without knowing more details they could have been an easy fix as a loose battery terminal connection for the third issue, I think your case of hatred for the bike is pretty weak. Good luck with your next bike.
Never said the bike was not incredible. F'in loved the thing. Just not all that excited about taking an adventure bike into the wild not knowing if it will get me home. The 990r could not accomplish this task more times than I thought reasonable in the time span allotted. Also, don't you think I would have done everything possible before calling someone to pick me up 4hrs away? Lastly, why on earth would I want to carry spares and enough tools for a shop mechanic when I just paid $15k for a new MC? I'm not riding on a 1970 BSA or something. Maybe real 990 lovers like working on bikes in the forest, in front of the hotel, or wherever. Not me. If that makes me weak so be it. Would rather ride than wrench. At $15k one would expect to not have problems for a few years at least. I mean jeez, this bike stranded me more times for mechanical issues in 1.25 years than all of my other bikes owned combined. That sucks!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Never said the bike was not incredible. F'in loved the thing. Just not all that excited about taking an adventure bike into the wild not knowing if it will get me home. The 990r could not accomplish this task more times than I thought reasonable in the time span allotted. Also, don't you think I would have done everything possible before calling someone to pick me up 4hrs away? Lastly, why on earth would I want to carry spares and enough tools for a shop mechanic when I just paid $15k for a new MC? I'm not riding on a 1970 BSA or something. Maybe real 990 lovers like working on bikes in the forest, in front of the hotel, or wherever. Not me. If that makes me weak so be it. Would rather ride than wrench. At $15k one would expect to not have problems for a few years at least. I mean jeez, this bike stranded me more times for mechanical issues in 1.25 years than all of my other bikes owned combined. That sucks!
My point was based on your own postings. From them it seemed like you either didn't feel you should have to or didn't want to try and trouble shoot the problems as it was a new bike, which I totally understand. I also understand what it is like getting stranded. I got stranded last year on a trip after a shitty dealer worked on my bike to do something I should have done myself. And I wasn't calling you weak, just that you had a weak case for hating on the 9X0. Anyway I understand your pain and agree that it sucks to be stranded. By the way, I do carry spares of certain things that have caused me issues in the past when I go on a trip, it always seems if I have them I never need them, but if I am without them, that is when they will be needed!!!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
borborygmus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
best/worst of times

I do think you are a little fickle, however I do agree with you about ktm's ability to keep producing a product year after year with ouf fixing obvious problems. But maybe KTM is being loyal to the after market, how could some of these companys exist if ktm actually fixed stuff mid-production. I have had 4 ktms and problems with all of them but the most memoriable was the first year pds rear shock on a mxc, how could they sleep at night knowing they let that pos make it to production and actually shipping them out that way!
I now have a 05' 950 adv with all the fixes-love it. My dirt bike is a gasgas 300 with no fixes, runs and runs! love it more.
KTM's motto aught to be " buy it, fix it, ride it!"
borborygmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 645
I hope you are not sorely disappointed with your next motorcycle purchase. Don't buy a Ural.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
The guy bought a brand new bike and got stuffed 3 times and got sick of it.
Nothing that a sane person couldn't understand in my opinion, if i spend 15k then i would want it to be bloody perfect!

My KTM's never let me down, only costly one was the 450sx, the rest was great.
Got my 950S for 4500euro, dumped some cash into it to overhaul the culprints and it has been bulletproof ever since.
And i thrust the thing to keep running for the trip i am planning. But i only thrust it because i overlooked the bike, not someone that calls himself a dealer.

You're better off with a used 950/990 that you personally overhaul, in the end it's way cheaper, more reliable and you're not dependent on someone else that steals the money out of your pocket.
I'd say try again with a cheaper and used one, one that you maintain yourself. Twice the fun from a katoom is the wrenching inbetween the rides. If you just want to hop on and ride, KTM is not your brand, sorry.

To me KTM is the most exciting brand to ride, the thing could shit the bed all the time and i would still fix it and keep on riding it. Because nothing comes close to it, sadly enough.
I hope you find a bike to your liking and that makes you happy, in the end it's all we want from our scooter.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Sometimes people confuse crappy mechanics at a crappy dealership for a crappy vehicle, true?

Then these same people will shell out $500 for I-phones, ipads and ipods they can't even change the battery in and that's swell, true?

I liked it better in the old days before elec-tro-nics when the only people that rode were the ones that knew they were going to have to walk every now and then at least to the nearest phone booth or farmers house for a little petrol.

Those people had class!
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,293
You're gone, I'm back...and the world turns on and on. Whatever.

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I bought my bike from a similar guy who didn't like his either. Had 530 miles or so on it, 6 weeks old, $1300 off MSRP and two sets of tires

So thank you for giving back to the community.
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote