Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #31
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBigfoot View Post
You might be on to something because I had the 10k service done just before warranty expired in April. Most comments are accurate that I probably pulled the trigger to quick to end our relationship, but once I lost faith in the reliability and began to alter where and how far I rode from home, the party was over

And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whec716 View Post
The original poster has a point.

It doesn't matter what reality is. All that matters is that he feels that his bike was not reliable. We've all had that "Feeling." I felt my Wr250r didn't have enough brappp for me. So I got a 990.

My point is, once "it" is in your head, it is time to move on.
It's all water under the bridge now. Go out and find the next thing that moves you and good luck!
Old 08-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #32
ColoradoBigfoot OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Most fear is just a lack of knowledge.
"fear"has nothing to do with my issue, unless you call fear as being out in the backcountry having a great time riding late in the afternoon, say 3:30pm and deciding to head back to camp "now" because you may have to allow enough time to repair your bike before it gets dark.
Again, if you are a person who thinks its cool that you own a $15k bike that has "character" (like a Harley or a 60's era euro bike) more power to you. For me, regardless if these repairs are minor and i could have done fixes on the trail myself (provided I tote along a complete set of shop tools, fuel filter, water pump, fuel pump, side stand switch, clutch slave kit, ect., etc...). Question my MC aptitude all you want, but I bet 99% of the non-ktm/Harley motorcycling public would agree that fixing your bike while out on a ride is not something they are excited about nor something that should be expected. Does it happen? ABSOLUTELY! Would three shop-required problems in the first 1.25 years of ownership on a BRAND NEW motorcycle have you question it's quality and craftsmanship? You bet!
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #33
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
I reckon your dealer has more to do with the experience than corporate. It's also easy to see why so many Jap adv bikes are reliable, they're boring KTM is pushing the envelope. Do you want a Camry or a Carrera?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #34
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,869
It's not for everyone.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #35
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattleycrue76 View Post
If I were you, I'd rethink my preferred method of recreation. If you are unable/unwilling to trouble shoot any problems that arise you have no business taking a bike like this seriously off road to the places where it's the most fun. They're called adventure bikes for a reason. Maybe a Goldwing would suit you better. Good luck with your next bike.
the guy was in a hotel parking lot - not exactly a wild adventure in the middle of nowhere.

If you can not/will not do the most minuscule amount of tinkering or trouble shooting - owning a motorcycle is not for you. shit owning anything other then a car is probably too much for you. I have to tinker with every single engine I own - lawnmower, chainsaw, weed whip, car, truck, generator, power washer. If you can not check a loose/unplugged connector you are hopeless.

It amazes me that people have the smarts/ability/education to be able to earn enough money to afford a $15k motorcycle. but have never learned where the fucking spark plug is or what it does.

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #36
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. REDBEARD View Post
the guy was in a hotel parking lot - not exactly a wild adventure in the middle of nowhere.

If you can not/will not do the most minuscule amount of tinkering or trouble shooting - owning a motorcycle is not for you. shit owning anything other then a car is probably too much for you. I have to tinker with every single engine I own - lawnmower, chainsaw, weed whip, car, truck, generator, power washer. If you can not check a loose/unplugged connector you are hopeless.

It amazes me that people have the smarts/ability/education to be able to earn enough money to afford a $15k motorcycle. but have never learned where the fucking spark plug is or what it does.
Capt. RedBeard, They PAY people to do that stuff for them...

NitroAcres screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 08:20 AM
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #37
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Let us know what the replacement is; that way we can all make fun of you after your gone (just kidding)...
no, he is not kidding....
NY to Alaska Ride Report Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #38
David37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Once he lost faith in his KTM, every problem big or small confirmed in his mind that his KTM was a POS. I love my KTM 950SE, unfortunately he will never understand that concept and that's why he sold his bike.
David37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #39
benh
lookin 4 a way outta town

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
The guy bought a brand new bike and got stuffed 3 times and got sick of it.
Nothing that a sane person couldn't understand in my opinion, if i spend 15k then i would want it to be bloody perfect!

My KTM's never let me down, only costly one was the 450sx, the rest was great.
Got my 950S for 4500euro, dumped some cash into it to overhaul the culprints and it has been bulletproof ever since.
And i thrust the thing to keep running for the trip i am planning. But i only thrust it because i overlooked the bike, not someone that calls himself a dealer.

You're better off with a used 950/990 that you personally overhaul, in the end it's way cheaper, more reliable and you're not dependent on someone else that steals the money out of your pocket.
I'd say try again with a cheaper and used one, one that you maintain yourself. Twice the fun from a katoom is the wrenching inbetween the rides. If you just want to hop on and ride, KTM is not your brand, sorry.

To me KTM is the most exciting brand to ride, the thing could shit the bed all the time and i would still fix it and keep on riding it. Because nothing comes close to it, sadly enough.
I hope you find a bike to your liking and that makes you happy, in the end it's all we want from our scooter.

Totally agree with this sentiment. I can see the OPs frustration considering he bought new.

For me the ownership has been different, bought it used so I expected some stuff. To be honest now that I fix the little things, it is more reliable at 23k miles than 8k miles. It takes one weekend a year of wrenching and beer drinking to have a dependable ride for a season. As years pass though sessions become shorter.

benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #40
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAcres View Post
Capt. RedBeard, They PAY people to do that stuff for them...
....apparently not in this case.
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #41
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,923
To fair some of the issues mentioned especially the water pump and fuel filter are wear and tear issues. Replace the water pump seal on current models everything 20k miles and it is unlikely to fail on the trail (I go 30k out my current one before it failed). If you don't want to do the fuel filter on the side of the road, replace it at it every or every second service and again you are unlikely to have it fail.

Side stand relocator? Some say this necessary some not, I have had 2 of these now one had a relocator and the other didn't. Take a VStrom - you need a decent aftermarket bash plate to take it off roading. GSes need crash bars etc. Many dual sport bikes aren't ready to go out of the box any more than a KTM is, maybe less so.

Issue #2 would certainly seem to be left over after a service and I wouldn't let issue #1 stop me from finishing a ride.

In terms of carrying tools many, most, these things can be fixed with the standard toolkit BTW.

But I guess if you lose you lose faith, I can understand these things.

I would suggest however that to go riding on any sort of unpaved surface and expect to never to do any sort of trailside repair is probably a little unrealistic, no matter what you are taking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #42
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,660
I got one for $1500. Doesn't run yet but.

Whining about the fuel filter? Really? The fuel filter?

If you want reliability stick with Mother Honda, you'll still have to change the fuel filter.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #43
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
And don't for a minute entertain the thought of running out and buying a liter Superbike like Ducati, Aprilia, BMW, KTM, etc because you'll have a stroke since you'll now be laying out in excess of $20,000 for something that needs, EEK! upgrades and maintenance too!
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #44
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Cool2

As someone who has purchased my 990A new from the dealer I can fully understand being upset that the bike has let you down. It is not a cheap motorcycle, to buy or to own, especially if you are not willing or able to make your own repairs or do your own maintenance. Having had many bikes in the past, from Hondas to Huskys, I know that some are distinctly more bulletproof than others, but they all have issues.

I can also understand the feeling you get once you've lost faith in a motorcycle. As others have said, it really doesn't matter what the issues were at that point, once you no longer believe the bike will get you there, every little annoyance becomes confirmation that the bike "has to go". So maybe it's best that you did just that. Start clean with something else or another (used) one as others have suggested?

These bikes are definitely for seasoned riders IMO. Both in their performance and in the time/ skill that it takes to fix and maintain them properly. I do not believe anyone would be happy with these bikes if they are unwilling to do their own service work (unless you have tons of $$$$ to throw away). I took my bike to the dealer once, and as much as I like my dealer (I actually do...) they will not see it again unless something really unforeseen happens. The monetary aspect aside, I just feel better knowing I can handle most issues that may crop up.

Oh, and I don't see the waterpump, fuel filter, side stand, etc... issues as whining personally. Those are real issues, that every one who rides these bikes must address at some point or another. Issues that to me, are so well documented that they should have been addressed long ago. At some point it just boils down to money, and how much it would cost (the factory) to fix versus dealing with the issues as they come up.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #45
erappaport
pray for rain

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
These bikes are Rally influenced, meant to be stripped of their body wrap and examined regularly for inspection, cleanup and prep.
I think that this sums it up the best, these bikes are small-production machines meant to be ridden and worked on by people who know what they are doing, or are willing to figure it out. I used to relish this part of KTM ownership, when I had a shop downstairs full of tools, and a place to leave things in pieces for as long as it took to get them sorted.

Now with a small city apartment and the bike parked outside, I can at least empathize with the wish for a turn-key machine, if one even exists.. but as so many say, there is no substitute. This bike is like the girlfriend we all had once, if we were lucky. One ride was all it took to forget the endless drama and the homicidal older brother.
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote