Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #46
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBigfoot View Post
"fear"has nothing to do with my issue, unless you call fear as being out in the backcountry having a great time riding late in the afternoon, say 3:30pm and deciding to head back to camp "now" because you may have to allow enough time to repair your bike before it gets dark.
Again, if you are a person who thinks its cool that you own a $15k bike that has "character" (like a Harley or a 60's era euro bike) more power to you. For me, regardless if these repairs are minor and i could have done fixes on the trail myself (provided I tote along a complete set of shop tools, fuel filter, water pump, fuel pump, side stand switch, clutch slave kit, ect., etc...). Question my MC aptitude all you want, but I bet 99% of the non-ktm/Harley motorcycling public would agree that fixing your bike while out on a ride is not something they are excited about nor something that should be expected. Does it happen? ABSOLUTELY! Would three shop-required problems in the first 1.25 years of ownership on a BRAND NEW motorcycle have you question it's quality and craftsmanship? You bet!
You lost faith and confidence in the bike? The bike is not the problem.
One has confidence to travel in remote areas because one is prepared.
That means having tools and parts to fix things. Being aware of your riding capabilities. Having the knowledge and experience to make correct decisions.
Things are going to fail, get used to it. What are you going to do about it when they do?

Next time you might not be in the wilderness of a hotel parking lot, but actually in a real situation say 150 miles in a desert. What happens if the failure is because you crashed and now your bike wont start. ( it does not matter what bike you have, you now need to fix it )
It may mean just a quick diagnosis and fix to get you going or you can sit on your hands and actually at the worst case...die.

The 990 is great machine. It has a few, well documented issues, that once you understand you can confidently ride solo, offroad, around the world. Like many have done and keep doing.
Oh no so your water pump goes on you every 40km, and if you did not maintain it, it might happen on a ride. Pull the oil filter, keep going for 100s of miles till you can fix it. Oh no so your fuel filter is clogged and if you did not maintain it you might need to carry a $30 tinny part with you that you can replace on the side of a trail in 20 minutes.

Funny thing is your problem happened to me just last week. Here is how it went for me...
I just finished a 3500 mile offroad ride and rushed to change the oil and a few other things the night before. The next morning we were off to ride the rubicon trail on our 990s and a minute after we departed my bike "just died". "Oh no! I think it might be time to sell this POS and cry bloody murder"
It took 10 seconds to diagnose the issue, loosen one lower tank bolt to make room to reach in, connect the hose, tighten the tank. On our way. Total down time a couple of minutes. I'm far from a mechanic, but I try to learn and understand as much as I can about the hobby that I enjoy and love. No fear to keep going either, because I know that I can handle most things that the trail throws at me and my bike.

Sorry OP, but your issues with your bike were GALACTICALLY minor. What's next, you can't believe that a $15K bike got a flat? You can't believe that outside of Oregon they make you pump your own gas?
The OP bitching just reminds me of the sentiment in this Lewis CK video...
Everything is amazing and nobody is happy

And I do think DuctTape nailed it with his comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Most fear is just a lack of knowledge.
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #47
PopQuiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Same bike, same year, only a few minor issues...worst of which was a defective battery. Since that was replaced, it has been flawless and the more I ride and work on this bike, the more I like it. That all said, I am always prepared. As many have said...get to know your machine and you will not worry about it.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #48
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,768
Just turned over 55,000 miles on my '04 "S" the other day, you know, the ones that were SUPPOSED to self-destruct on the way home from the dealer. Water-pump, clutch slave, fuel-pump, etc..
The only time my bike left me stuck was the fuel-pump shit the bed. The good news was, it died in my driveway! Couldn't have been better. I've since put a vacuum pump in so as to never re-live the horror.
Still running with the ORIGINAL water-pump. Go figure.
Sure the bike has a couple of weird things, the clutch has given me fits since day one. Sort of a "dragging" thing that cannot be cured. I've tried everything short of a new bike. That, and my 55,000 mile old ZX11 shifts about 10000 times nicer then the "S". In fact, I think an old John Deere tractor probably shifts smoother then my bike.
All that being said, it's the COOLEST bike I ever had and I'll never get rid of it.

CW
'90 Kawasaki ZX11...'76 Kawasaki 900 Z1...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #49
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburkat View Post
The OP bitching just reminds me of the sentiment in this Lewis CK video...
Everything is amazing and nobody is happy
That was awesome.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #50
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,648
I feel the OPs pain. I bought a new 06 990 and had the following happen whilst under warranty and less than 10000 km

Cracked cases due to side stand
Cam chain tensioners
Crank Angle Sensor (completely stranded - 6 week fix)
Starter motor spragg clutch (completely stranded - 2 week fix)
Clutch slave cylinder (f'kin inconvenient, but not stranded)
Mud under the low guard, ripped the guard and speed sensor off, better than the 950s instead of going over the bars.

Out of warranty

I think the water pump seal went at 16000km
Blew two rear shocks.

That being said ............ I still rue the day I sold it

But I already had an SE in the garage

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #51
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBigfoot View Post
... but I bet 99% of the non-ktm/Harley motorcycling public would agree that fixing your bike while out on a ride is not something they are excited about nor something that should be expected. ...
Maybe, but that other 1% makes so much noise about it that you'd think 99% of the people are excited about it and welcome the opportunity for the roadside fix
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #52
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
Just turned over 55,000 miles on my '04 "S" the other day, you know, the ones that were SUPPOSED to self-destruct on the way home from the dealer. Water-pump, clutch slave, fuel-pump, etc..
The only time my bike left me stuck was the fuel-pump shit the bed. The good news was, it died in my driveway! Couldn't have been better. I've since put a vacuum pump in so as to never re-live the horror.
Still running with the ORIGINAL water-pump. Go figure.
Sure the bike has a couple of weird things, the clutch has given me fits since day one. Sort of a "dragging" thing that cannot be cured. I've tried everything short of a new bike. That, and my 55,000 mile old ZX11 shifts about 10000 times nicer then the "S". In fact, I think an old John Deere tractor probably shifts smoother then my bike.
All that being said, it's the COOLEST bike I ever had and I'll never get rid of it.
CW
Yeah, but you ride like a pussy
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #53
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Yeah, but you ride like a pussy
That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all day!
'90 Kawasaki ZX11...'76 Kawasaki 900 Z1...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #54
txbear55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Sheesh! Can we stop so I can read a more interesting thread!
txbear55 is offline   Reply With Quote