ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Newfiebullet OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Newfiebullet's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Goose Bay, Labrador
Oddometer: 193
KLR 650 suspension upgrades

Has anyone here tried the 465 Suspension package available from KLR650.com?

It seems like a pretty good price, just wondering if it's any better than simply rebuilding my stock suspension.

http://klr650.com/465SuspensionSpecial.htm
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 193
As I probably mentioned before; I've been going through the whole suspension issue recently and according to the 4,558,265 threads I've read, the 897 people I've talked to and after reading all the tea leaves;

- yes the Progressive stuff is much better than stock but about half as good as a shock from Cogent Dynamics or Ricor. The front progressive springs are likewise an improvement but nowhere near as good as Ricor Intiminators, CD Drop in Damper Cartridges or Racetech Emulators with straight rate springs would be.

This isn't my opinion, but rather a synopsis of the research I've been able to do. I plan on using the Cogent Dynamics stuff but your needs really depend on what your useage is. Stock stuff is barely adequate for pavement duty though you still need to address the brake induced fork dive. The Progressive stuff is OK for limited offroad use and the Ricor or Cogent stuff is suitable for the worst that you SHOULD put a KLR through. You could also go full blown with an USD fork/Emig racing conversion and a high end Ohlin's/Works or Cogent reservoir shock but that doesn't seem necessary unless you are racing the bike....in which case, the KLR is the wrong bike to begin with. ...still cool though.

2 pennies,
Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Newfiebullet OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Newfiebullet's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Goose Bay, Labrador
Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
As I probably mentioned before; I've been going through the whole suspension issue recently and according to the 4,558,265 threads I've read, the 897 people I've talked to and after reading all the tea leaves;

- yes the Progressive stuff is much better than stock but about half as good as a shock from Cogent Dynamics or Ricor. The front progressive springs are likewise an improvement but nowhere near as good as Ricor Intiminators, CD Drop in Damper Cartridges or Racetech Emulators with straight rate springs would be.

This isn't my opinion, but rather a synopsis of the research I've been able to do. I plan on using the Cogent Dynamics stuff but your needs really depend on what your useage is. Stock stuff is barely adequate for pavement duty though you still need to address the brake induced fork dive. The Progressive stuff is OK for limited offroad use and the Ricor or Cogent stuff is suitable for the worst that you SHOULD put a KLR through. You could also go full blown with an USD fork/Emig racing conversion and a high end Ohlin's/Works or Cogent reservoir shock but that doesn't seem necessary unless you are racing the bike....in which case, the KLR is the wrong bike to begin with. ...still cool though.

2 pennies,
Dave
I don't see KLR suspension on Cogent's website, Just Suzuki stuff.

The Ricor stuff looks good, and they do have a good sale advertized right now.

The really high end stuff doesn't interest me. I ride dirt roads, a lot of rail beds and some fairly rough trails, but I'm never in a real hurry, and have no interest in pushing my limits. Especially since, as you say, if I was really trying to make time I'd be better off getting a KTM or something of the sort.
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
I don't see KLR suspension on Cogent's website, Just Suzuki stuff.

The Ricor stuff looks good, and they do have a good sale advertized right now.

The really high end stuff doesn't interest me. I ride dirt roads, a lot of rail beds and some fairly rough trails, but I'm never in a real hurry, and have no interest in pushing my limits. Especially since, as you say, if I was really trying to make time I'd be better off getting a KTM or something of the sort.
Understood. Cogent's website sucks (to be blunt); it seems that they really, really want you to call them but trust me, they definitely have KLR stuff. Rick's Moab shock is specifically designed for KLR's and is considered to be high end, yet relatively affordable. It does have some budget features to keep the cost down like less external adjustabilty and lack of a remote reservoir compared to a modern offroad race bike, though I've heard he can do those too. What you get for free is Rick's expertise in setting the shock up for your stated weight and useage.

I had to stop myself from ordering the Emig racing triple clamps and a set of USD forks; I always said I'd avoid mods that tried to "make the KLR into something it's not" so while I can afford it, it just doesn't make logical sense to me.

The Cogent and Ricor solutions seem to occupy the sweet spot between cost, ease of installation and performance.

I may be spoiled by my racebikes, but I simply couldn't be bothered fixing or even maintaining the stock shock. The Progressive is better by all accounts, but it looks like less bang for the buck than the CD or Ricor.

Hope this helps. I love Newfoundland!

Cheers,
Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
RandoCommando
Wannabe
 
RandoCommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Philthadelphia, Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
Has anyone here tried the 465 Suspension package available from KLR650.com?

It seems like a pretty good price, just wondering if it's any better than simply rebuilding my stock suspension.

http://klr650.com/465SuspensionSpecial.htm
Gotta be careful with that web sight.
They tend to sell Chinese knockoffs.
I bought my 465 suspension from http://www.jpcycles.com/ and saved a good amount of money.
Just google search for the best prices.
__________________
1999 KLR 650 (her name is KLaRissa) DOOHICKEY DONE!
2013 BMW F800GS (her name is FranGelicaS)
Please. Ride careful, ride safe, ride defensively! This thread should be mandatory reading!
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
Newfiebullet OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Newfiebullet's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Goose Bay, Labrador
Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Gotta be careful with that web sight.
They tend to sell Chinese knockoffs.
I bought my 465 suspension from http://www.jpcycles.com/ and saved a good amount of money.
Just google search for the best prices.
Hmmm, good to know.

I'm still on the fence about sinking money into the suspension. If I end up deciding on a new KLR next spring, there's no sense spending a load of money I'll never get back on this one.

Does anyone know if the rear shock and fork upgrades that fit the Gen 1 bikes can be used on Gen 2 as well?
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,620
+ 1 on Dave's analysis.

Been riding with a Cogent Moab rear shock which is specifically made for the KLR for 40k miles since about late 08. It has been through its suggested refresh too where the wear parts are replaced as well as the shock is brought back up to the latest revisions. CD are constantly improving their product. Design updates, new coatings to reduce stiction, new valving etc.

There are 'spring updates' out there. Cheaper for sure. That is not what you are paying for in the CD. It is the damping system where the difference and money is. And that is really, really good! That is what makes all the difference.

New F - keep your old shock and if you sell the bike, you can sell the Moab separately. There are differences between the gen 1 and gen 2 systems. On the fence? It all depends upon the riding you do, and what you expect out of your suspension. For most a spring upgrade is all that they need. If you want a planted bike, both on or off road and ride accordingly near the limits, Moab is the way to go.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 05:44 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
Oddometer: 5,369
Moab on the back, Ricor valves in the front.... no need to bother with new springs. I had YZ forks on my klr for a while & while I liked the ride, the fatter tubes would hit the tank unless you limit the lock. I put back the stock forks with the Ricors & guess what... pretty close. unless you are jumping the bike or riding really hard (and take the time to tune them) the USDs don't offer you that much more on the KLR. going back the original forks also let me keep my lowered fender, which has a number of advantages. I rode side by side with my son's DRZ and a friend's 640 Adventure... dirt roads, washboard, potholes, etc... the ride is close enough to not make you want to buy another bike.

having serviced dozens of klr forks at tech days, the one observation I have is.... if the owned didn't service the oil, it is low. that's huge on the klr. my new 05 needed 50cc per leg to make the book spec of 190mm. that extra 50 made the hiway wobble go away, and bringing the oil up to 170 got rid of (most) the brake dive and improved the ride considerably.

the Ricors servicing information is/was confusing because there are places that say to use the factory level, and other places where it says different. for the KLR, Gen I forks, use 5 wt oil... collapse the fork, remove the spring, fill until 40mm from the top. this works. ATF and Marvel oil 50/50 is what I use, it is the same flow as Belray 5 (which sources say is really 7.5).

so 4 years on the Ricor valves & nothing but good to say about that. install is easy, drain the oil, pull the springs, drop the valve in the hole, fill the oil, install springs.... done. whats not to like
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Tommyg2bad
Adventurer
 
Tommyg2bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 93
I've got the 465 with rap on one klr and the cogent on the other. For customer service and quality I would go with the cogent any day. The rap is nice to have for drastically changing loads but I think Rick at cogent can do something similar.
Both are dramatically better than stock, but a phone call to Cogent is worth the dime.
Tommyg2bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
Hmmm, good to know.

I'm still on the fence about sinking money into the suspension. If I end up deciding on a new KLR next spring, there's no sense spending a load of money I'll never get back on this one.

Does anyone know if the rear shock and fork upgrades that fit the Gen 1 bikes can be used on Gen 2 as well?
Rear shock will fit either Gen. Racetech emulators will work with either according to their instructions. I actually went so far as to call their tech support to verify. I've only fitted to GenI's but have a GenII with a set of emulators in a drawer that need to be installed...someday. Cogent's 'cheap' shock is far better than anything from Progessive. I rebuild shocks all the time and the Cogent is a far better design and most of all it will be delivered valved and sprung for you.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
Newfiebullet OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Newfiebullet's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Goose Bay, Labrador
Oddometer: 193
Ok, here's another question.

I found the Moab shock for the KLR on Cogent's website.

Is the standard shock worth the extra $100 or so over the Adventure shock.

I do like having adjustable dampening on my snowmobiles, so I can see having it on my bike as well. But then again, my snowmobiles typically have 150hp or so. The KLR has what? 38? I'm never going to ride my KLR as hard as I ride my sleds.

Is the Adventure a good buy, or would I regret it after the fact?
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
Ok, here's another question.

I found the Moab shock for the KLR on Cogent's website.

Is the standard shock worth the extra $100 or so over the Adventure shock.

I do like having adjustable dampening on my snowmobiles, so I can see having it on my bike as well. But then again, my snowmobiles typically have 150hp or so. The KLR has what? 38? I'm never going to ride my KLR as hard as I ride my sleds.

Is the Adventure a good buy, or would I regret it after the fact?
Its a KLR. Rick can dial it in perfectly for you. Go with the Adv shock.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post

Is the standard shock worth the extra $100 or so over the Adventure shock.

Is the Adventure a good buy, or would I regret it after the fact?
I think it is. Rick does a good job of trying to anticipate what you need. He probably sets it up a little stiffer than you might? He is doing that on a shock dyno.

However, if you ride with different weights and in different roads conditions, having the ability to change the damping rate make a huge difference to the ride and handling. If you dont know the difference, you would not know... What you are really buying above all else is the superior damping system -why not use it to its best capacity?


All of Ricks products are very good
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
Ok, here's another question.

I found the Moab shock for the KLR on Cogent's website.

Is the standard shock worth the extra $100 or so over the Adventure shock.

I do like having adjustable dampening on my snowmobiles, so I can see having it on my bike as well. But then again, my snowmobiles typically have 150hp or so. The KLR has what? 38? I'm never going to ride my KLR as hard as I ride my sleds.

Is the Adventure a good buy, or would I regret it after the fact?
My head says the Adventure is a good buy and I'm unlikely to screw around with the damper settings anyway....but my heart says I need the adjustability more than I need the $100.00.

Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Moab on the back, Ricor valves in the front.... no need to bother with new springs. I had YZ forks on my klr for a while & while I liked the ride, the fatter tubes would hit the tank unless you limit the lock. I put back the stock forks with the Ricors & guess what... pretty close. unless you are jumping the bike or riding really hard (and take the time to tune them) the USDs don't offer you that much more on the KLR. going back the original forks also let me keep my lowered fender, which has a number of advantages. I rode side by side with my son's DRZ and a friend's 640 Adventure... dirt roads, washboard, potholes, etc... the ride is close enough to not make you want to buy another bike.

having serviced dozens of klr forks at tech days, the one observation I have is.... if the owned didn't service the oil, it is low. that's huge on the klr. my new 05 needed 50cc per leg to make the book spec of 190mm. that extra 50 made the hiway wobble go away, and bringing the oil up to 170 got rid of (most) the brake dive and improved the ride considerably.

the Ricors servicing information is/was confusing because there are places that say to use the factory level, and other places where it says different. for the KLR, Gen I forks, use 5 wt oil... collapse the fork, remove the spring, fill until 40mm from the top. this works. ATF and Marvel oil 50/50 is what I use, it is the same flow as Belray 5 (which sources say is really 7.5).

so 4 years on the Ricor valves & nothing but good to say about that. install is easy, drain the oil, pull the springs, drop the valve in the hole, fill the oil, install springs.... done. whats not to like
Great post; thanks for the insight. I was also ready to go Moab and Intiminators but now Rick has these new "DDC" drop in damper cartridges which apparently are similar to the racetech emulators but use shim stacks and don't required the damper rod drilling. Should be just as easy to install as the intiminators.

Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014