User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #31
airjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Polson High School Class of 81.

Awe the town pump. Kwa tag nuk is good beer stop. Watch out for the injuns though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
Day 1 includes an hour of the day before, as I left Fairfield at 11pm Saturday. I had gotten about 5 hours of sleep and was just tossing and turning, anticipating the things to come. The hell with it, better to leave now and take a "power nap" on the road than to lie in bed any more.

Here's the route for today: http://goo.gl/maps/Uheh8

Gassed up in Fairfield to get my first receipt and start the clock. Then up I-505 and I-5 I go.

It's a mild evening, and a serene ride to the next gas stop in Redding after 171 miles.

Around Shasta Lake there were some nice sweepers. Riding them in the dark was surreal.

But then, as altitude increased my ride went into the deep freeze. 2000, 3000, 4000 feet. Brrr!

After the gas stop in Klamath Falls, dawn was approaching.

Not only have I NEVER been this cold on a motorcycle, I was getting sleepy.

And, morning mist was becoming a problem on the visor (and camera lens as you see here).

I took a couple or rest stops, and each of those helped but not for very long.

So then I tried a cat nap. Pulled off here, hopped the guard rail, set my phone timer for 30 minutes and zonked out behind the big tree:

That was good for about an hour. But I can't take 15 naps and still finish this ride on time. It was time to pull out the big guns. Drugs. That's right, Diet Coke! An excellent source of caffeine.

That did the trick. I bought a half liter of the stuff and chugged it whenever I needed a jolt. Problem solved.

On into Washington State, passing the Columbia River in Kennewick:

Idaho was Beautiful. But I knew Montana was going to be something special when I saw the first speed limit sign.

Wheee!

But the last part of the ride, starting in St. Regis, was the best of all.

Now who ever said iron butt rides are boring?

Final gas stop in Polson to collect my ride end receipt. 1,035 miles.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #32
Varkenjaab
Middle Age Crisis

Oddometer: 17
Looking forward to see what route you take back home. We will be heading west from Rock Springs via Logan and the Golden Spike but looks like nothing of great interest between there and Carson City (going around Lake Tahoe). Saw "The Loneliest Rd in America" so will take that. What else is around??

Great RR. keep it up

Cheers,

Geoff
Varkenjaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #33
ckjj888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Bending amplitude great ah.

ckjj888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #34
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Day 7: Saturday, September 7

Idaho Falls put me 770 miles from home, with not much of interest between here and there. My original plan was for an intermediate overnight in Elko, NV.

I figured if I can do a Saddlesore on Day 1, I can surely do 3/4 of a Saddlesore on Day 7. I'm going for it. Here's the route:

http://goo.gl/maps/T2raf

The hotel has a free breakfast starting at 6am, and by 6:30 I've got the bike packed up and am figuring out how to make a waffle in the waffle iron. There are a few other guys there, all in white uniforms getting ready to start their work day, whatever that is.

About the only other thing worth eating there is a cup of vanilla yogurt (why the hell does anybody make VANILLA yogurt, anyway?). With that and a cup of coffee inhaled, I'm on my way at 6:45 (5:45 California time).

It was smooth sailing to the Nevada state line, and I was feeling good. I called Miz Lucy and turned in my dinner request.

Just past the state line is Jackpot, NV, the sole purpose of which I am sure is to lure gamblers from Twin Falls.

Then I get to enjoy 494 miles of I-80.

After 13 hours on the road, I roll into my garage at 6:45 and enjoy a fantastic dinner.

Miz Lucy likes her T-shirt.

The whole trip came to about 3,000 miles, including the riding around in Yellowstone.

Thanks for reading!
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #35
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjammer View Post
Awe the town pump. Kwa tag nuk is good beer stop. Watch out for the injuns though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varkenjaab View Post
Looking forward to see what route you take back home. We will be heading west from Rock Springs via Logan and the Golden Spike but looks like nothing of great interest between there and Carson City (going around Lake Tahoe). Saw "The Loneliest Rd in America" so will take that. What else is around??

Great RR. keep it up

Cheers,

Geoff
Thanks Geoff! Hwy 50 is pretty cool if you enjoy wide open solitude. See this for a good spot to stop or have a meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckjj888 View Post
Bending amplitude great ah.
Umm, ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
Hello Rod . Just found your report this evening... Great photos and reporting, and congrats on the IB . Really nice to see you back on the road!
Yo Dave! A very pleasant surprise to have you drop in. I hope things are going well!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #36
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
Thanks for sharing your ride however I don't know if I will ever be able to watch Old Faithful again without thinking about your impression of it.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #37
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
F*** the Roses?!?!!?!!?

Well F you too, buddy!
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #38
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Thanks for sharing your ride however I don't know if I will ever be able to watch Old Faithful again without thinking about your impression of it.
Oops. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
Well F you too, buddy!
Oops again.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #39
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
That is some beautiful countryside, I especially love those pictures of Montana. Thanks for posting the routes as well, I'll have to try that one in Northern Montana.
Zeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #40
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
That is some beautiful countryside, I especially love those pictures of Montana. Thanks for posting the routes as well, I'll have to try that one in Northern Montana.
Thanks for checking in! I suggest you try the West side of Koocanusa. Takes a bit longer, but is said to be much twistier.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #41
SpringheelJack
Vagrant Lurker

Oddometer: 35
Just found this RR. Good reading, and looks like a great ride. I live in MT and love seeing my state through other people's eyes.

Jackpot also hosts lots of folks from Montana - the SW part, anyway. My grandfather, who used to live in Butte, made quite a few day trips down there.

Thanks for the report.

Steve
2005 DL1000 (gone, sadly)
Lots more in the far past ...
SpringheelJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #42
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Hi Steve, thanks for stopping by! I was very impressed with my visit to your state and hope to get back there soon.

Looks like Butte to Jackpot would be a nice moto ride if you take 93 and 75....
Old 12-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #43
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
How in the heck you guys do that Iron Butt stuff is beyond me. I could barely sit in the cockpit for 12-16 hours a day and it is reasonably comfortable. My hat is off to you. Wonderful pictures and story. Uncanny how similar our eating habits are but the ages are very close. I've got a year on you but your riding is light years ahead of mine.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #44
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Hi Rutabaga -- thanks for checking in here. I'm enjoying your current RR very much... lived in Georgia for 21 years, but sadly had a motorcycle for only a few months of that time. And there's nothing special about my riding, you're doing just fine.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #45
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 306
Great steamy pics from Yellowstone!