Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Mapco OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I've had my F700GS for about two months now...

I bought it with 1000 miles on the odometer as a demo model. The break-in and first service was taken care of so I was fine with that. Not to mention they gave me like $600 off... The bike is a 2013 F700GS with the comfort package (heated grips, center stand, vario racks, computer). I've put 3500 miles on it since then with about 50/50 tarmac/dirt. I just want to give some of my impressions.

This is my first bike so I don't have a lot of experience with other bikes/brands. So far the bike was been fantastic. Absolutely no mechanical issues to speak of. I commute with it almost every day and have also done a few multi-day trips. I did the Parks HW, Elliot HW, and the Top of the World HW. I've also done a single track trail and completed a water fording. I've done two-up but mostly solo. I've ridden it in the 20s into the 80s (Fahrenheit). If I had to do this again would I buy the same bike with what I know? Probably, but I might have wanted to test ride the 800 a little more. This is a short list of some of my thoughts. Keep in mind this is all coming from a noob who just got his endorsement this summer.

Pros:
  • Smoothness of engine and good power
  • Great fuel economy (upper 50s on average)
  • Good aftermarket support
  • Heated grips are amazing and something I consider necessary equipment
  • Good looks
  • Ability to run any gasoline grade
  • Basic maintenance is simple
  • Oil level/clarity and air pressure have been good and constant

Cons:
  • Everything is expensive
  • Stock windscreen sucked
  • BMW hand guards are questionable so far when it comes to weather protection
  • Stock tires are worthless in the mud
  • Stock seat is uncomfortable after a couple hundred miles
  • I have to bring it in for dealer service to change the units on the computer
  • Vario cases are not waterproof

Farkles:
BMW Vario panniers
BMW top luggage rack
BMW skidplate
BMW engine crash guard
BMW hand guards with large protector and spoiler
BMW LED turn signals
Altrider radiator guard
Touratech windscreen with BMW adapter
Touratech headlight guard
Touratech front brake fluid guard

What I want:
New seat
Tank bag
Top vario case
New tires

Mapco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
rightspy
Crazy Dingo

Oddometer: 45
All good thoughts. Given your location, few bikes stock out of the box are going to come close to meeting the demands for your riding location. The only question is: Has the F7 limited you from doing what you want to do on a Moto? There isn't a hand guard out there that will meet your needs in AK so go get some of those elephant hand covers and you will be much happier

The F7 is my 6th bike and 3rd BMW Enduro (650 Dakar and R1200) and for what I do, this is one of the best bikes I have ever ridden...the balance I have been searching for.

At the pricepoint of the F7, sacrifices need to be made to get it out the door. A new owner has to have vision to make the F7 what they want. I dumped 1K extra before I left the dealership and another $500 from home. I've only had the bike for 2 weeks and it is far more adventure worthy than my 12GS was.

My only advice is to research/buy farkled that meet your needs.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
You did Top of the World on the OEM tires? That was brave.

We're twins, by the way.

Mine on Top of the World

I tried to do a decent review of all of my farkles/upgrades; http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=22054400

Glad you're enjoying it!
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
rhyndman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightspy View Post
only had the bike for 2 weeks and it is far more adventure worthy than my 12GS was.
Now that's interesting. I have the 7 and have assumed that the bike I would rent if I travelled to ride would be the 12. Not really sure why - I guess I have just assumed it would be more "comfortable" over distance. (I now have 8K on my 7, virtually all on road, but am itching to get offroad.)

Can you elaborate on why you prefer the 7 to the 12?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
rhyndman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
rhyndman
Adventurer

My bike is very similar, but I have the BMW touring seat and it's not bad. I wish the passenger seat were a little higher, but that's it - I'm fine with hours at a stretch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Just FYI; stock BMW seats are just to ride the bike home. The manufacturer assumes your going to get a custom seat. Every one in a while I post this and someone says they like their stock seat - OMG. For tires, I highly recommend Heidenau K60. They are adequate off pavement and last 11k + miles. Also if you change the oil, maintain the chain yourself, the 6k miles services are much more reasonable. Look over the seat reviews at the FAQ top of this page. Dave
Old 09-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #7
Mapco OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Holy crap. I found out why the BMW handguards sucked so bad. I had them installed on the wrong sides! WTF. Finally realized it after studying pictures of them installed on other bikes and wondering why the fitment was so tight on mine. I have yet to test them out but I already know that they will feel 100% better! Pretty damn embarrassing. Compare the correct install to the wrong install and you can probably see why I hated them. Now I have two extra holes drilled on each guard where the spoiler was put on the other side.

Old:

New:

Mapco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
rightspy
Crazy Dingo

Oddometer: 45
[QUOTE=rhyndman;22230222]Now that's interesting. I have the 7 and have assumed that the bike I would rent if I travelled to ride would be the 12. Not really sure why - I guess I have just assumed it would be more "comfortable" over distance. (I now have 8K on my 7, virtually all on road, but am itching to get offroad.)

Can you elaborate on why you prefer the 7 to the 12?

Weight! On highway stretches the R12GS is comfortable. I typically don't Adventure on super slab and I feel the F is more comfortable and confidence inspiring on everything else. I never had a confident feeling off road with the r12...some due to tires but mostly with weight and heft. I generally travel light and solo so I never needed the carrying capacity. The farkles also make the difference in the F...correctly selected, the bike is every bit as capable with better proportioned weight distribution.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
rhyndman
Adventurer

[QUOTE=rightspy;22236535]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyndman View Post
Weight! On highway stretches the R12GS is comfortable. I typically don't Adventure on super slab and I feel the F is more comfortable and confidence inspiring on everything else. I never had a confident feeling off road with the r12...some due to tires but mostly with weight and heft. I generally travel light and solo so I never needed the carrying capacity. The farkles also make the difference in the F...correctly selected, the bike is every bit as capable with better proportioned weight distribution.
Ok I get that. I've been really impressed by how drivable the 7 is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
sreynen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Windscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73datsun View Post
You did Top of the World on the OEM tires? That was brave.

We're twins, by the way.

Mine on Top of the World

I tried to do a decent review of all of my farkles/upgrades; http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=22054400
Glad you're enjoying it!
What windscreen do you have on the F7?
sreynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
MRA X-creen
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapco View Post

Pros:
  • BMW hand guards are questionable so far when it comes to weather protection

You don't have to question them.. i can guarantee you that they suck.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
sreynen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73datsun View Post
MRA X-creen
How tall are you and does it do a good job of getting the airflow over your helmet? Ease of mounting? Thanks.
sreynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
Turk34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
700 gs

Mine is about 5000 miles now...I have the comfort seat and happy with it...I have the OEM handguards and Cee Bailyes 18" windshield. Need minor adjustment to avoid handguards hitting to the windshield...I am looking for tank bag...Any advice? I have the GPS installed on the handlebar so tank bag should be small to see the GPS....I saw GL one of the threads....
Turk34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
Dirt Rider
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Wolfman Explorer Lite Tankbag
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote