Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Top Bloke OP
Porky Rider

Oddometer: 111
Bluhduh It broke down where?

Here

After 2 and a half trouble free days of great riding through the desert, the big girl decided that she would go no further. After a morning of hellish corrugations I slowed down to give myself a rest and the bike spluttered and would not restart.

I spent the afternoon pulling it apart. Checked wiring (including side stand eliminator) - all good. ECU threw no fault codes and there was spark going to the plugs. Pulled out the fuel pump which appeared immaculate on the screen (I didn't take it apart because I had no idea there was another filter in there). There was fuel flow to the injectors also (I pulled the line and ran it). Air filter was still clean as a whistle and there were no obstructions in the throttle bodies.

After I exhausted all that I know, I put the bike on a mate's ute and drove it the 1200km (~750mi) back home where it now sits in my shed.

I now plan a full disassembly for cleaning and my first thought after hitting the forum again is to look at the fuel pump. Any better ideas?
Top Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
JKRUBI
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Bloke View Post
Here

After 2 and a half trouble free days of great riding through the desert, the big girl decided that she would go no further. After a morning of hellish corrugations I slowed down to give myself a rest and the bike spluttered and would not restart.

I spent the afternoon pulling it apart. Checked wiring (including side stand eliminator) - all good. ECU threw no fault codes and there was spark going to the plugs. Pulled out the fuel pump which appeared immaculate on the screen (I didn't take it apart because I had no idea there was another filter in there). There was fuel flow to the injectors also (I pulled the line and ran it). Air filter was still clean as a whistle and there were no obstructions in the throttle bodies.

After I exhausted all that I know, I put the bike on a mate's ute and drove it the 1200km (~750mi) back home where it now sits in my shed.

I now plan a full disassembly for cleaning and my first thought after hitting the forum again is to look at the fuel pump. Any better ideas?
check compression first
JKRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
tunp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Check your fuel pump pressure. Mine did a similar deal, and i did similar checks and had fuel flowing thru pump when bike on, but the pressure was not high enough for the bike to run. New fuel pump and all was good.
tunp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Top Bloke OP
Porky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunp View Post
Check your fuel pump pressure. Mine did a similar deal, and i did similar checks and had fuel flowing thru pump when bike on, but the pressure was not high enough for the bike to run. New fuel pump and all was good.
I have stripped down the bike for cleaning and removed fuel pump. I have ordered a new pump and filters (even if the pump is fine I wouldn't mind having a spare) will keep the forum up to date as I go.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 756
Before I clicked the Here link, I thought it might have been Mt Beadell.

Thats a long way from nowhere the bike chose ! I bet your glad you had the ute nearby.

Was out at Newell Junction one year and missed meeting Len Beadell by 2 days. Now out there, that is fuggin close !

Be sure to post what it was. Im looking at doing the GCR next easter.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
Top Bloke OP
Porky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
Before I clicked the Here link, I thought it might have been Mt Beadell.
I cheated. The photo was taken at Bishop Riley's Pulpit a few days earlier. Where it broke down was pretty unremarkable and I had other things than photography on my mind.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
Top Bloke OP
Porky Rider

Talking We have a winner!

I pulled it right apart for cleaning and education purposes while waiting for the parts.

Here was the problem:

But while I was at it:

I took 70 litres of fuel for the trip, 60 in a steel drum and 10 in a plastic jerry can. I filled the bike up with Opal at Ilkurlka and put 10 litres into the drum with 50 litres of Ultimate 98. I had pulled the low octaneplug prior to using the crappy Opal.

Now, whether the fuel was bad (wouldn't surprise me as they reuse 44 gallon drums and fill them in Kalgoorlie periodically) or the filters were nearly clagged anyway is academic. If I had been carrying a filter kit I wouldn't have had to turn back.

New additions to the spares kit:

Fuel filter kit + world's most valuable O rings
Fuel pump (en route from inmate gefr)
Side stand switch eliminator
Old 09-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #8
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Don't know.. Maybe it's just the picture, but while that filter is sure a bit dirty, I've seen worse filters out there while the bike was still running.. Don't want to plant anything into your mind, but are you sure this was the problem?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #9
Top Bloke OP
Porky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Don't know.. Maybe it's just the picture, but while that filter is sure a bit dirty, I've seen worse filters out there while the bike was still running.. Don't want to plant anything into your mind, but are you sure this was the problem?
Nope, not sure at all. But it was my first thought and it appears to be fine now. Coulda been the crap fuel out of a 44 that was sitting up on the rack....I'll set the fuel I drained out on fire later and see if it woofs
Old 09-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #10
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Bloke View Post
Nope, not sure at all. But it was my first thought and it appears to be fine now. Coulda been the crap fuel out of a 44 that was sitting up on the rack....I'll set the fuel I drained out on fire later and see if it woofs
Haha:) watch them eyebrows
Old 09-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #11
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
The filters look fine to me as well. All my filters look like that. Fwiw. Yet, I hope it will fix your issue