User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
TheMechanic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Manitoba to BC on a dr650- BCBATR and more

Hey inmates, tomorrow I leave on my first long voyage by motorcycle. I'm heading to kamloops for the bc big adventure ride, there's a thread on here about it, and I might also head out to the island after the ride and climb some mountains around the Vancouver area. I'll be on the road for 2-3 weeks, and I'll chronicle my journey here with pictures from time to time.

So follow along if you're interested, I might post something interesting.

TheMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 173
To BC

Best wishes from BC to another DR650 owner. Looking forward to pictures and reading about your trip. Have a great ride.
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
TheMechanic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i'm still alive

i left russell manitoba at 7:45 am on august 31st, in the distance were dark clouds. not a good sign.

it started raining on me after an hour. it let up for the majority of the trip but continued at swift current. i hid the bike under a tree while i used wifi until it let up.

after swift current the weather was almost perfect. i ended up camping in a field just off of hatton road, 10km from the alberta border.

all in all, i put in some solid mileage on day one. better to get as much out of the way as possible.

today i made my way to lethbridge where i'm hanging out for a day. i'll make my way to kitchener bc on the third, and then to kamloops on the 4th.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Bcbatr

Hi there,

What is BCBATR?

Route map?

thx

MZ
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
TheMechanic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the bc big adventure trail ride. went last year, had a blast, going again. here's the thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871033

Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
TheMechanic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Okay, i'm back. And i'm sure beat. Yesterday I rode from Lethbridge to Kitchener which is 10 clicks east of Creston.

Here's the weather leaving lethbridge:

it cleared up later, and i came across this giant truck:

I stayed at Rider's Ranch motorcycle campground, which i highly recommend. Very friendly owner, showers, coffee, hangout spot, lots of space, and a great price. I rolled in after dark and was greeted immediately, some places wont let you in after a certain time. Here are some pics:

This is the chillout shack called the saggy sack saloon iirc:

This morning i left Riders Ranch and went past creston, but missed my turn and ended up leaving highway 3 west and going 35km in the wrong direction. Got this great picture though, and it was a great road, nice and twisty.

Later, i got stung by a bee that went up my sleeve. Luckily i had antihistamine pills, popped two and had no reaction besides local swelling.

As i headed north to kelowna i passed two guys on sport tourers going the opposite way. A few miles later i came across a brand new pair of motorcycle gloves im guessing one of the riders dropped. I was so tired i drove right by before realizing i should grab them, so i turned around and picked them up. Beautiful gloves that must have been worth a few bills. I was too tired to chase the bikers down, so i shoved them in my bag and left an old pair of my own gloves with a note inside with my phone number in case they came back to look for them. I'll gladly mail them if someone calls me about it and describes what kind of gloves they are. Anyway, that really picked up my spirit today.

As i type this, i lay on a bed at a friend's place in kelowna while eating boston pizza; a great end to a grueling day.

TheMechanic screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 08:50 PM
Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Good trip

Looks like a great trip. You're inspiring me to get a tent and get out into this amazing province. Have a good weekend ride......organizers sound really sensible.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Subscribed!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,707
Hi Jessie, I hope your making some progress with that seal... Let me know if your going to make it up my way...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
TheMechanic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Hi Jessie, I hope your making some progress with that seal... Let me know if your going to make it up my way...
Well they found some seals close in size, a littlebig, hammered one in but it was damaged in the process. It still didn't leak so I jbwelded it in there. After a 20 minute test ride it was leaking again, so were going to try to get one from kamloops.

It turns out that Suzuki apparently makes a retainer now as well. I have the part number for that and we'll try to get one in

Old 09-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
Well they found some seals close in size, a littlebig, hammered one in but it was damaged in the process. It still didn't leak so I jbwelded it in there. After a 20 minute test ride it was leaking again, so were going to try to get one from kamloops.

It turns out that Suzuki apparently makes a retainer now as well. I have the part number for that and we'll try to get one in
Suzuki should be supplying that retainer to all DR 650 owners free of charge including shipping as part of a recall... I hope your not stuck there too much longer...
Old 09-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
TheMechanic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The proper seal will be in tomorrow, and the retainer will be in Vancouver on Thursday. Hopefully I make it there without it popping again.

Tried two different types of seal in the mean time along with kneels, both failed.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Hopefully you have better luck than the 2 Kiwis: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...789269&page=11 :Their seal troubles start at post #159
Old 09-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
TheMechanic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I made it to Vancouver and to the bike shop with not a minute to spare. Traffic here is ridiculous. Anyway, got the retainer and installed it in the parking lot. That should be the last I hear from that oil seal.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Seal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
I made it to Vancouver and to the bike shop with not a minute to spare. Traffic here is ridiculous. Anyway, got the retainer and installed it in the parking lot. That should be the last I hear from that oil seal.
Hi. Could you tell a bit more about the seal please.......I guess something happened on the ride last week, but those of us not there don't know much about it. Maybe Gunnerbuck could talk about it as he seems familiar with the problem. Those of us with DR650's would like to hear more about it....I'll look at the reference to the 2 Kiwis too. Thanks, and good luck with the return trip!