ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Are you ATGATT?
Dunno, dont care. Biker gear for me. 4 1.01%
Maybe a helmet, maybe not. I dress for the weather and my destination. 6 1.52%
I dress for the weather and my destination, and always a helmet when on the road. 27 6.82%
Usually a helmet, motorcycle jacket and gloves, but don't make a big deal about gear. 48 12.12%
Most of the gear, most of the time. 130 32.83%
ATGATT..... all the gear, always. 163 41.16%
ATGATT plus; all the recommended gear then some. 18 4.55%
Voters: 396. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Aj Mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Are you ATGATT?

A perennially hot topic, so it might be an idea to see where folks are at on this apparently contentious issue.

Me, for nigh on 5 decades.... Tend to be clad for the weather and where I am going, topped off with an open faced helmet when I am on the road.

In more temperate climes that would include a jacket and gloves, but here in the tropics I just pop on a helmet and ride off.

Off road: no helmet for pottering, but helmet and a decent amount of gear if going hard.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 07:41 PM Reason: Add pictures
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
Old 08-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
TortillaJesus
Authentic

Oddometer: 3,029
nigh?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 308
nearly
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I always wear a helmet, boots, and gloves. I usually wear a mesh jacket even when it's hot.

However I ride 6 miles to work and I often ride in shorts there, a t shirt if it's hot.

If I'm riding more than 15 minutes I wear a jacket. More than 30 kevlar padded pants or chaps.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
comfort
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,893
Minimum for around town is jeans, armored jacket, boots, gloves and a full face. Any further, the armored pants are added.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
Sevv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Fullface
Leather jacket w armor
Race gauntlets
Kevlar jeans w knee armor
Race boots to mid calf

Occasionally replace the foam pad in my jacket with my trackday spine protector.
Sevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
When I first started riding motorcycles (about 12 years ago) it was shorts, tank top, and bowl helmet (maybe DOT approved) and sneakers or hiking boots (at least I didn't wear flips). Eventually, jeans, cowboy boots or similar, tank top, open helmet. Of course this was in hot weather, in the colder weather it was the leather jacket and chaps. Finally, last year, moved to full face helmet, gloves, aerostich jacket and Macna overpants with alpinestar boots. Got the LD hot weather shorts and shirt for riding in the heat. Seems to help okay. Of course now, when I stopped anywhere, I will always get the "aren't you hot?" question. I also commute 19 miles to work daily mostly interstate so even have it on then. I'm very lucky for the long period I rode to my job with just my slacks and golf shirt on. Now, other than stopping some place on the ride home. I don't mind.
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,390
Usually the only thing I am lax on is armored pants, if its a short ride to a job or a friends house I'll wear regular pants. When I lived in Florida on the coast I rode around a few times in shorts with no helmet along the beach at low speeds. It was nice, but I felt naked...

On trips in the summer heat, I find my mesh gear is cooler while riding and sun burns suck when you go the T-shirt and shorts route.

If I know I'll be off the bike a good bit, I'll just wear all leather steel toe work boots instead of my sidi onroad boots. But, thats about the same protection any way.

So, it's most of the gear most of the time. I have crashed once on pavement wearing regular jeans, they don't hold up that well. Broke one helmet, but the Tourmaster jacket and red wing boots held up fine after a 50 mph slide, I slid on my 3/4 jacket and it actually protected my skin. Thankfully I was able to keep my knees up. That crash made me appreciate my Held Steve gloves, those metal things on the palm actually work.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Put "most of the gear, most of the time" as I would be lying if I said ATGATT. I ride with full face helmet, textile jacket/pants combo, gloves, and boots on 99% of the time. The only time I don't wear any of this is when I am at work and need to go out to grab lunch, I will wear everything except the armored pants.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,807
Comfort.

My ATGATT is comfortable from 20 degress to 100 degrees, sun, wind or rain.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Aj Mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
One day in; overwhelmingly ATGATT, or thereabouts.

A bit surprising - Given that the tops seems a bit contentious, and the subject of some long running threads, I would have expected a bit more of a spread, and a few more in the helmet, jacket and gloves group. As it is with 67 votes, well over 80% wear most or all of "the gear", or more.

But then ADVrider members are probably, in general, serious about their hobby, thus likely to invest in the gear that goes with it.

Here in these tropical parts, registered motorcycles outnumber cars by about three to one. Bikes are generally seen as just a way to get around, with 95% of them being sub 1/8th litre scoots. But even among the more "serious motorcyclists" with bigger machines, you would be hard pushed to find a single ATGATT.

A surprising amount of helmet compliance in the picture below.... probably a police checkpoint nearby that morning.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 07:46 PM Reason: add comment to a photo
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
A bit surprising - Given that the tops seems a bit contentious, and the subject of some long running threads, I would have expected a bit more of a spread, and a few more in the helmet, jacket and gloves group. As it is with 67 votes, well over 80% wear most or all of "the gear", or more.

But then ADVrider members are probably, in general, serious about their hobby, thus likely to invest in the gear that goes with it.

Here in these tropical parts, registered motorcycles outnumber cars by about three to one. Bikes are generally seen as just a way to get around, with 95% of them being sub 1/8th litre scoots. But even among the more "serious motorcyclists" with bigger machines, you would be hard pushed to find a single ATGATT.

Been there and elsewhere. Definitely a culture thing. And as another pointed out this particular site is going to attract those serious about the "sport" lifestyle aspect. If I lived in Thailand I might ride a scoot minus gear also. Perhaps in the future...
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #15
WIDELOAD
Bunburyist

Oddometer: 139
It I turn left or right when leaving my home within 400 Metres either way there is no speed limit...vehicles are often travelling in excess of 100 mph...it would be more than a little foolhardy to ride with no protection.
That said...I'm a lifetime member of the UK Motorcycle Action Group who have always fought to repeal the UK helmet law...like them I consider it the riders choice
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote