ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Are you ATGATT?
Dunno, dont care. Biker gear for me. 4 1.01%
Maybe a helmet, maybe not. I dress for the weather and my destination. 6 1.51%
I dress for the weather and my destination, and always a helmet when on the road. 28 7.05%
Usually a helmet, motorcycle jacket and gloves, but don't make a big deal about gear. 48 12.09%
Most of the gear, most of the time. 130 32.75%
ATGATT..... all the gear, always. 163 41.06%
ATGATT plus; all the recommended gear then some. 18 4.53%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #31
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
i am not atgatt
Old 09-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #32
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,795
I would be ATGATT all the time if I could find some over-pants for tall dudes that don't suck.....

But because of that. Usually commuting I wear everything but the pants. Real rides or offroad I am geared up

Only pants I have found that even remotely fit right are Klim Dakars and they are not armored. Once I unload some of my unused gear will probably look into some used Latitudes or Badlands. But the price on those puckers my ass a little.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
I would be ATGATT all the time if I could find some over-pants for tall dudes that don't suck.....

But because of that. Usually commuting I wear everything but the pants. Real rides or offroad I am geared up

Only pants I have found that even remotely fit right are Klim Dakars and they are not armored. Once I unload some of my unused gear will probably look into some used Latitudes or Badlands. But the price on those puckers my ass a little.
The folks at Motoport will have you covered.

Priced better than the Klim Badlands or Latitude and custom made to your spec for size, color, pockets, reflective, etc. (I have almost 40K miles riding with the Air Mesh Kevlar over-pants and love them year round, on and off pavement. Other styles are available.)

Their pants are tougher than competition leather in both abrasion and tear strength and include extensive armor. You can wear them over clothes and be in or out of them in seconds.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #34
Aj Mick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
You only need ATGATT if you fall off. Don't fall off and you don't need it. On my commute I'm in jacket, helmet, gloves and boots but if I'm carving canyons it's full leathers...
A sensible attitude to my way of thinking. Risk management is what it is all about.

When canyon carving, on a track, or similar, a rider is pushing the limits, and the chance of going beyond the limit is relatively high. Single bike accidents or being taken out by another relatively lightweight vehicle heading the same direction are most likely.

In an off you are likely to land up skidding along the road for quite a bit. It is situation in which ATGATT gear, especially leathers provide good protection, particularly from abrasion.

Commuting riders don't tend to probe the limits of their bikes. Accidents as a result of loss of control of the bike at the limits are less common. Accidents involving collision with, or when evading, other vehicles are a far greater risk.

A commuter motorcyclist is surrounded by relatively large vehicles travelling at high speed, and immovable objects such as barriers, signs, power poles, raised kerbs, and much more. While ATGATT gear provides some protection, it is not particularly effective against a sudden stop when a heavy vehicle or an immovable object when moving at relatively high speed is involved.

In terms of risk management….

In the former situation, when probing the limits, the risk is higher, and good gear provides good protection if you do push it too far.

In the latter situation, riding is more about staying aware and anticipating to minimise risk, because in typical accident situations gear is of relatively limited benefit.

That is not to say, gear is unnecessary. It is more about attitude and choosing gear appropriate to your situation.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #35
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
99% of the time I will have a helmet on, if it's not required where I'm riding and the mood strikes me I may go without, but only in the city for a short trip IE dinner. In that case always eye protection and ear plugs.

I used to be very anal but somewhat relaxed over the years. Mostly I will have a leather jacket and gloves, some over the ankle shoes at minimum. The exception is when the gear interferes with my mental state. I rode across a lot of northern thailand, fullface helmet, dirt bike jersey, pants and shoes, no gloves. 100+ humid heat I was more worried about getting heat stroke than crashing. But you're right it is a statistics game which is why I will always have certain equipment like ear and eye protection, because the chances of debris hitting my eyes and being exposed to loud noise (and taking away my concentration) is 100%.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #36
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
helmet / riding jacket / long pants / boots or high tops, oft times leather high tops. yeah i know leather high tops means crap so far as protection but i get ankle support and pretty good grip. good grippy soles are preferred

the riding jackets have been far more common since getting a faster bike and using the freeway but i will still use the Dickies unlined Eisenhower for around town or even distance on particularly hot days. which i consider 90F+. but even then i may choose a riding jacket as i have a couple which vent well
Old 06-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #37
ACR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Never again, please

I wonder if the people that choose to ride with minimal/no gear have ever experienced the pain associated with the previous in,

A) bone /skin to metal
B) bone/skin to dirt
C) bone/skin to bone/skin
D) bone/skin to pavement
E) bone/skin to concrete

I have experienced all except for C. Seeing what happened to Anderson Silvas leg, I can imagine colliding with a pedestrian, or worse, motorcyclist. The level of pain experienced is something which I hope to never feel again. Since there is gear to minimize the chances of feeling such pain, I wear it.

If more people crashed and scared themselves, the gear would be worn in hopes to never feel that misery again. That is, of course, if they're not complete idiots.
ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:03 AM   #38
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR View Post
If more people crashed and scared themselves, the gear would be worn in hopes to never feel that misery again.
It helps not being scared if you are good in predicting when you're going to need how much gear. Sorry for you if you are scared.
*got road rash from crashing his bicycle and even by feet, but never from crashing one of his motorcycles - geared up or not*
Old 06-08-2014, 04:45 AM   #39
Jamesx2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
full face helmet, shield down most of the time
MX boots
Jeans
High vis yellow jacket
leather gloves

Why do some people ride without gloves??
Old 06-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #40
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 127
I read a lot of people not wearing gear when riding locally. But think about the fact that most accidents happen within a 10 mile radius of home. Or in the first and last 10 Miles of a trip..
I'm ATGATT always, but seldom use the bike for short trips.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #41
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrnidus View Post
I read a lot of people not wearing gear when riding locally. But think about the fact that most accidents happen within a 10 mile radius of home. Or in the first and last 10 Miles of a trip..
I'm ATGATT always, but seldom use the bike for short trips.

Well statistically most people commute 20 miles or less each way, and/or do a lot of in town running around. I suppose if they have an accident it well be drumrolllllll pllllleeeaaasssseeee! within 10 miles of home!

This goes for cages and moto's.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #42
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
I allway gear up on my ride to work ie proper ff helmet textie jacket and trousers boots and gloves. I dont wear mesh as it will melt.

if i ride offroad i just wear a helmet and gloves and just jean and a hoody as i ride slow off road.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #43
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,427
Atgatt. Always.

I live in a huge HD/cruiser area and New Hampshire is a no helmet state.

So most of the riders I see are wearing tanktops and shorts, maybe sneaks or sandals.

Today was warm (for here) and I was probably the oddball with all my gear.

So my question has to do with BUGS. Yesterday I rode for about 4 hours with SWMBO and solo for an hour or so today. The bike and my helmet are plastered with bugs- some small but some BIG. If these cruiser folk are out there in T-shirts and no helmet, what do they feel/do with the bug hits??
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #44
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Atgatt. Always.

I live in a huge HD/cruiser area and New Hampshire is a no helmet state.

So most of the riders I see are wearing tanktops and shorts, maybe sneaks or sandals.

Today was warm (for here) and I was probably the oddball with all my gear.

So my question has to do with BUGS. Yesterday I rode for about 4 hours with SWMBO and solo for an hour or so today. The bike and my helmet are plastered with bugs- some small but some BIG. If these cruiser folk are out there in T-shirts and no helmet, what do they feel/do with the bug hits??
Bugs, they're an acquired taste.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #45
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Bugs, they're an acquired taste.
Cathy is my wife and occasional passenger. Through the intercom she will hear the bug hits to my helmet and faceshield. That has to feel great on an unprotected forehead.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote