ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Are you ATGATT?
Dunno, dont care. Biker gear for me. 4 1.01%
Maybe a helmet, maybe not. I dress for the weather and my destination. 6 1.51%
I dress for the weather and my destination, and always a helmet when on the road. 28 7.05%
Usually a helmet, motorcycle jacket and gloves, but don't make a big deal about gear. 48 12.09%
Most of the gear, most of the time. 130 32.75%
ATGATT..... all the gear, always. 163 41.06%
ATGATT plus; all the recommended gear then some. 18 4.53%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #46
HOTPASS
Torch slinger

Oddometer: 78
I'm so atwtgatttty I rode around in full leathers today in 104 damn degrees!!!

I should probably check the weather more often. Wondered why everyone was giving me crazy looks,hah

I live in the city and split lanes/filter every day. Risk assessment says that kind of riding needs full gear. Out on the open roads in the west it's whatever, but then city is a damn war zone, I want armor and leather.

Plus you feel like a fucking spartan riding around in full gear and a black visor. Hah. Gotta be All ninja like when riding like a fool.
HOTPASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #47
pkbinder
Helga The Red

Oddometer: 260
When I learned that most accidents happen within 10 miles of home, I moved!

Sorry if that is 205.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #48
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR View Post
If more people crashed and scared themselves, the gear would be worn in hopes to never feel that misery again. That is, of course, if they're not complete idiots.

So if someone does crash and feel the pain that you have experienced yet chooses to remain unmotivated by fear resulting in their decision to continue to not be ATGATT then that person is a "complete idiot" ? No possible way that they could be highly intelligent yet come to different conclusion than you would/did?

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #49
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Cathy is my wife and occasional passenger. Through the intercom she will hear the bug hits to my helmet and faceshield. That has to feel great on an unprotected forehead.

That's one thing I don't get. I see people riding with no windshield and with an open face helmet or no helmet. I have seen someone get a tooth blown out by a Lubber grass hopper. I have had big bugs blast my face shield so hard that I couldn't believe the shield didn't crack. It's got to hurt on bare skin.

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 04:53 PM
Old 06-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #50
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
That's one I don't get. I see people riding with no windshield and with an open face or no helmet. I have seen someone get a took blown out by a Lubber grass hopper. I have had big bugs blast my face shield to the so hard that I couldn't believe the shield didn't crack. It's got to hurt on bare skin.
Exactly
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #51
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

I just realized how terrible "talk to text" is. Time to edit!!

Old 06-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #52
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Thumb

XD4 and 1gen Klim Ralley jacket, need more $ for pants and boots, its hard to buy good gear on a budget and ride at the same time. BUT i will wear it all. I want to leave a good looking corpse.
FongMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #53
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Three minor road incidents to my name,I still remember the road rash...jeans ain't 'gear'.....mentioned this to a couple of young blades at the test center a couple of days ago.....both on 600 crotch rockets, and both in shorts and wife beaters....helmet undone..of course....ohhhhhh the confidence of youth as I recall.
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #54
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Import View Post
Three minor road incidents to my name,I still remember the road rash...jeans ain't 'gear'.....mentioned this to a couple of young blades at the test center a couple of days ago.....both on 600 crotch rockets, and both in shorts and wife beaters....helmet undone..of course....ohhhhhh the confidence of youth as I recall.
They'll be fine. At that age they are still invulnerable.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #55
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
I just rode down to the car wash to rinse off all the Utah red dirt in shorts, T-shirt, running shoes, helmet, & gloves. It was 15 blocks and I never exceeded 20 mph. I would make the same trip on a bicycle going faster wearing less. Does that make me a bad person?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #56
Friz Freleng
Zorgon of Mars

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTPASS View Post
I'm so atwtgatttty I rode around in full leathers today in 104 damn degrees!!!

I should probably check the weather more often. Wondered why everyone was giving me crazy looks,hah

I live in the city and split lanes/filter every day. Risk assessment says that kind of riding needs full gear. Out on the open roads in the west it's whatever, but then city is a damn war zone, I want armor and leather.

Plus you feel like a fucking spartan riding around in full gear and a black visor. Hah. Gotta be All ninja like when riding like a fool.
Wine country here. Drunks, tourists, addled old drivers, farm vehicles and tour buses...for me it's full gear all the time even on short rides where I live. I can get so hot in my black leather that I think I'm gonna melt. I don't care...sweating beats skin grafts any day.

“The Prius is as frumpy as any car I’ve seen, like an over-full colostomy bag.” -- New York Times automotive writer Lawrence Ulrich
Friz Freleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #57
ACR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
How do we measure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
So if someone does crash and feel the pain that you have experienced yet chooses to remain unmotivated by fear resulting in their decision to continue to not be ATGATT then that person is a "complete idiot" ? No possible way that they could be highly intelligent yet come to different conclusion than you would/did?
There's so many possibilities! Why would anyone intelligent want to go through all that rehabilitation for a second time, or the first?

I remember ignoring a toothache, the pain would come and go. Then one day, the pain turned to agony. Eventually I had no choice but to go to the dentist and have the tooth pulled. One lesson I learned was to have it checked right away, and I won't have to experience that torment (hopefully) ever again.

If I had went through a second toothache, ignored it, experienced all that inconvenience for a second time, what does that make me? A complete idiot, because I failed to learn the first time around.

In my opinion, if a person gets hurt, heals, and doesn't use the tools available to prevent or at least minimize the carnage and it happens again.. complete idiot, indeed. Unless they don't feel pain like me, or get some strange thrill from rehabilitating their body, then my theory is just full of holes, and around we go.

PCP - Pain controls people
ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #58
ACR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpass View Post
plus you feel like a fucking spartan riding around in full gear and a black visor.
x2
ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #59
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
I just rode down to the car wash to rinse off all the Utah red dirt in shorts, T-shirt, running shoes, helmet, & gloves. It was 15 blocks and I never exceeded 20 mph. I would make the same trip on a bicycle going faster wearing less. Does that make me a bad person?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Just out of interest....
How heavy's your bicycle? How hot is the exhaust on your bicycle? And how heavy's your motorbike? How hot is the exhaust?

I'm an ATGATT bloke now (didn't used to be) - even on short journeys. If it's really short, more often than not I'll walk rather than put on all the gear.

I always thought it was kinda weird that folks are happy to potter around town in flip-flips and board shorts but when they head out on the motorway they clad up. Most incidents happen at junctions (and where are there more junctions?) and within a area familiar to the rider (familiarity does breed contempt or, at least, relaxation). Yet more incidents happen when you're exposed to on-coming traffic with poor, or zero, escape routes - aka a town.

One of the safest places to be on the motorway or out in the country side. It's as if folks equate speed with danger, which, when you think about it, is pretty ridiculous.

The other ridiculous thing, IMO, is that some folks think ATGATT is for riding. It's not. It's for falling off.

When I was over in the US I was asked all the time why I was wearing so much gear....my reply would always be the same "Because when I have a crash, I want to get up again and carry on riding". I've never been asked that question over here.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:52 AM   #60
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR View Post
There's so many possibilities! Why would anyone intelligent want to go through all that rehabilitation for a second time, or the first?

I remember ignoring a toothache, the pain would come and go. Then one day, the pain turned to agony. Eventually I had no choice but to go to the dentist and have the tooth pulled. One lesson I learned was to have it checked right away, and I won't have to experience that torment (hopefully) ever again.

If I had went through a second toothache, ignored it, experienced all that inconvenience for a second time, what does that make me? A complete idiot, because I failed to learn the first time around.

In my opinion, if a person gets hurt, heals, and doesn't use the tools available to prevent or at least minimize the carnage and it happens again.. complete idiot, indeed. Unless they don't feel pain like me, or get some strange thrill from rehabilitating their body, then my theory is just full of holes, and around we go.

PCP - Pain controls people
just because pain controls you does not mean that it controls everyone. I would see some credibility in your argument if only morons chose to involve themselves in risky behavior. considering the fact that this is a motorcycle forum and not a forum dedicated to installing roll cages in cars while trying to promote mandatory helmet laws in said vehicles, I see very little if any validity in the notion that one's riding gear choices are directly correlated to a persons intelligence.