ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Are you ATGATT?
Dunno, dont care. Biker gear for me. 4 1.01%
Maybe a helmet, maybe not. I dress for the weather and my destination. 6 1.51%
I dress for the weather and my destination, and always a helmet when on the road. 28 7.05%
Usually a helmet, motorcycle jacket and gloves, but don't make a big deal about gear. 48 12.09%
Most of the gear, most of the time. 130 32.75%
ATGATT..... all the gear, always. 163 41.06%
ATGATT plus; all the recommended gear then some. 18 4.53%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #76
ACR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
well, when I was young I would always skin my knees and elbows tripping over my own feet or falling off my bicycle. You bet they hurt as I sat crying on the sidewalk for my mommy. Yet to this day, I still run and walk without wearing knee and elbow pads.
Most of us have cried for our mommies as a kid. I can recall sitting on the kitchen counter, one leg in the sink, as my mom dug small pieces of gravel out from my knee. This, from the result of a newly acquired technique, "power drifting" the rear tire on my 21 speed mountain bike. Didn't learn until many years later. Anyway, that's not the kind of hurt I'm talking about. When was the last time your knees or elbows have been hurt to the point of "hmm, should I go to the hospital", or, "someone, help me".

Remembering that certain level of pain while riding, it gets in my head, and will distract me if I'm not ATGATT. As they say, YMMV.
ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #77
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
When you're managing risk, everything's a compromise.

I try to be as ATGATT as I can while taking weather into consideration. I used to wear leathers when temperatures allowed, but it's been getting warmer and warmer here in the tropics, so in recent years, it's been a mesh jacket and pants throughout the year. Any ride longer than an hour or so, and I strap on a Camelbak (when it gets this hot, hydration is for safety, not convenience).

If I'm running errands that are near enough to be done by bicycle, I'd prefer to use one, but if I'm strapped for time (or energy), I use a motorcycle and pop on a helmet, gloves, riding pants, and boots. I know it would be better if I also wore a jacket, but I just can't bring myself to do it for a 5-10 minute non-recreational, bicycle-distance ride. If the trip is longer, the jacket goes on.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #78
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
I don't really have an argument against the rest of what you had to say, but this part I seriously do have a point to discuss. If you get yourself in that position riding in full gear, then more than likely it is eventually going to happen regardless of what you wear. If you know you are sweating profusely and aren't actively doing something about it (i.e. replacing fluids AND electrolytes) then you are going to eventually become a heat casualty no matter what you are wearing. The mesh jacket may feel cooler, but that is because instead of the sweat being trapped against your body, it is evaporating more easily. The gear I wear is pretty light, I have a pair of Klim Mojave pants, a compression style mesh armored jacket, a pair of armored shorts, and a pair of Forma Predators. I tried to get it as light as possible due to the summer heat here in El Paso. Every time i go out for a ride I carry plenty of water and snacks in my backpack and take lots of breaks to make sure my vision doesn't become blurry or suffer from heat stroke (which if you've reached heat stroke you already missed the first two stages of heat injury and are in dire need of immediate medical attention). Again I have no argument with your stance on how much gear, just the heat injury portion.
Yes that's the proper way to do it, you're right. Butwe cannot always prepare nor have all the available equipment that you suggest. For example, I did a long tour from the west coast down, wearing leathers that were new to me at the time. They were non perf, but had vents. I had no problems riding in washington and oregon, but when I hit southern cali and started riding away from the coast for the first time I hit temps in the high 90's. I was on a highway and started suffering from heat stroke. So I peeled off all base layers, opened all vents, undid the zipper. It didn't help. Yes I was drinking water, I had lots. What should I have done, pull over and stop? It was hotter to sit in the shade than be on the highway. Eventually, I had to make that decision to take off the jacket and pants, and finish the ride to the next town in shorts and tee shirt. I outweighed the risk of crashing with the immediate danger of exposure.

Another example is when I go dirt biking. At the staging area I have all my gear with me in the truck. My big gym bag with pads, pressure suit, padded shorts, neck protector, etc. But at the start of the ride I have to decide what to gear up in. We often don't have the luxury of turning back on longer rides. The obvious answer is to wear all of it. But say we encounter tough single track with wet swamp and muskeg. If you don't have speed and airflow the pressure suit works against you. It wears you out and overheats you, you have a limited supply of water on the ride. You can't take it off and leave it in the woods. On the same ride, hot day, single track with deep muskeg and hill climbs. I rode with bare minimum, jersey, pants, boots, gloves. My buddy road with full pressure suit and knee braces. We both get stuck the same amount of times, an hour in he is sitting on the sit of the trail, dizzy, dry heaving. I am relaxed and comfortable. Did I mention he is a firefighter in excellent shape, used to this kind of stuff?

Finally, sweating and loading up on water and electrolytes works fantastic in dry heat. So do those cooling vests and a wet bandana around your neck. But the wet heat is a different beast.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:13 AM   #79
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
Here in these tropical parts
I think that΄s the key word here. Climate has a huge effect on what people are willing to wear, hot and humid does not mix very well with thick, protective clothing.

Laws of physics are naturally the same, so if you hit the deck unprotected, most often you pay the price. OTOH, it would be pretty stupid to die because of a heatstroke trying to wear ATGATT in Phuket, now wouldn΄t it........
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:35 AM   #80
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,353
I'm in the dorky ATGATT group. Gearing up is part of the ritual of meeting the bike. It's like getting into the racecar - there are things you do to be safe and sure, and putting on Nomex or CarbonX socks is one of them. Lots of people have a suit, but who wears the stupid socks? In my run groups, we wear the stupid socks.

In Germany, we say "there is no bad weather, only poor clothing choices". Thankfully, this little aphorism enabled me to accumulate a crap-ton of various gear, so I am usually able to make an appropriate clothing choice. If I can't find something that will be weather- and comfort-appropriate, I probably should take the car or the bicycle.

Also, ditto on the water and hydration. I was out in 31-33°C all weekend in my GoreTex suit. Mesh would have been kinder, but all it really took to be ok was upping my water consumption to about four litres and my salt to an extra bag (150gr) of pretzels per day. Add in some nice forested roads now and then and it was a wonderful weekend to be out on a motorbike.

I will be washing my gear first thing when I get home, though!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #81
Zender
Inquisitive tinkerer

Oddometer: 111
So far I've always been riding ATGATT. Yes it does get uncomfortable at times, but to me it is just a part of the whole "game". If I drive a car, I feel absolutely naked if I don't use the seat belt, so even click that in when I move the car on the driveway for just a few meters. It is hardcoded into my system.

As for the motorcycle, my partner would kill me if I did not ATGATT, she's quite pleased with my head and body and wants to keep it around for a few more decades. And with temperatures just around the 35 degrees Celsius over here at the top end, I see no need to not wear it all. Sure, there are times I'm melting in front of an open bridge with a whirring engine between my legs on a windless day, but I'll take that discomfort along with all the benefits of riding. And I feel naked without it on a bike.

Oh, and I wear black leather and a closed full helmet.
Zender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #82
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,693
I ride ATGATT, but over the 6 years I've been riding, the ATG part has 'evolved'. Whereas my mentality used to be "I have to wear the best gear I can afford or I'll get really hurt", these days, I decide what gear I'm going to wear based on the situation. But, being a gear geek hasn't helped my wallet, as I now have different gear for different types of rides.

Ex. - When I first started riding, I had a pair of HD-branded construction boots (probably re-branded Wolverines). Learned that they most likely didn't protect as well as some other dedicated MC boots. Now, I don't get on my bike w/o one of the 2 pairs of Sidi boots I currently own, but I went through a couple of pairs before settling on these.

Ex. 2 - When I first started riding, I wore my HiViz vest all the time. Probably not a bad idea for a noob. But, nowadays I've relaxed that requirement and will usually ride without it, but may add it in bad weather, early/late season (when cagers don't expect to see bikes on the road), and sometimes at night.

Ex. 3 - As I've bought and upgraded my gear, I've been conscious of the protection the new gear has offered. Many times, the new gear has better armor and/or abrasion resistance, but sometimes not. I also never used to think I wanted to wear a neck brace, but now am thinking of adding one to my kit. The Rev'It Sand 2 jacket I just bought allows you to leave it attached to the jacket, so it's convenient. As I start to do a little more dual-sport style riding, I'm adding a chest/rib protector.

In addition, as I mature as a rider, convenience (and fashion) are playing a part in my gear selection. For shorter / local rides, my older mesh jackets are less 'technical' (fewer zippers/straps to deal with, inferior armor to my better gear), but I still feel they're 'safe enough' in these scenarios. The convenience factor means I can step off the bike in my Slider cargo pants and a short leather jacket and walk into a restaurant without looking like a power ranger or having to strip out of over pants in the parking lot or leave a jacket locked to the bike. For longer / faster rides, I will wear my better gear with better armor. In summary, I feel I've developed a better sense of the danger I'll be putting myself in when I get on the bike and will gear up appropriately, but I'll always be wearing ATGATT.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #83
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,036
Off-road or DS riding... full gear on every ride.
Street riding*... no gear (except a helmet- jacket and gloves if it's cool out).

*I live in NYC, so my odds of being in an accident are pretty high. Clearly, riding without gear is stupid- I'm aware of that. I justify it to myself (and I guess, publicly now) that I ride my old UJM streetbike like it's a scooter. I rarely get over 50mph, and normal speeds are much lower. Now that I've said this, I'll probably get mauled by a taxi, trash truck, or city bus.

If I was dragging my knees in the 'burbs, I'd have a set of leathers.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #84
tiki01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I've only been riding three seasons now and am in the ATGATT camp. When it gets too hot, I just don't ride. Even putting my gear on before getting outside, I start warming up. By the time I check the bike out to make sure all is ok, I'll be sweating and just hurrying to get the bike moving to feel some airflow.

Just trying to stay safe while having a little fun but some days I do think 'hmmm...do I really need these heavy saggy ass pants?' I put them on anyway.
tiki01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #85
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
I'm most of the gear, most of the time, in that occasionally I'll just wear jeans, but if I do, it's kevlar jeans. Always have FF lid, gloves, jacket w/armor. I must also add that, I don't give a rat's ass what other riders wear, to be perfectly honest. It's a free country, last time I checked.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #86
Jamesx2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Adding to my last post. Commuting to work I wear MX boots, jeans , High vis Icon anthem jacket, full helmet and leather gloves.
Now that Im going to the gym after work I stop home first and switch to my workboots and the ride to the gym is only 10 minutes away.
I feel weird walking around with mx boots on with my jeans tucked in when im not on or near the bike. I know that feeling weird is not going to save my foot in a crash but I take that risk