ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
DrunkenMistake OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 6
New member from Dunedin.

Hey guys!

I have been riding for a few years now,
My main ride is an SV1000s,

I have been toying with getting a dual purpose bike for a while now for a mixture of reasons,
im more interested (for now) doing light trail rides here and there and doing a bit of fishing in some of the more remote areas during summer.

The main reason for it is, I have no confidence when it comes to gravel and dirt,
so what better way to get over that then to attack it head on,

So I have dived into the deep end and bought myself a rough little DF200E for under $500 with current rego and Wof, I pick it up next Sunday,

Im under the impression the DF200 is the same set up as a DR200, and parts should be interchangeable? was hoping one of you lads might be able to confirm this for me,

and any other noob tips for riding on gravel and dirt would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance, will post some photos when I pick her up.
DrunkenMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
young1
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Taranaki New Zealand
Oddometer: 661
Welcome aboard!
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
innathyzit
AKA Woodman
 
innathyzit's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nelson NZ
Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMistake View Post
Hey guys!

I have been riding for a few years now,
My main ride is an SV1000s,

I have been toying with getting a dual purpose bike for a while now for a mixture of reasons,
im more interested (for now) doing light trail rides here and there and doing a bit of fishing in some of the more remote areas during summer.

The main reason for it is, I have no confidence when it comes to gravel and dirt,
so what better way to get over that then to attack it head on,

So I have dived into the deep end and bought myself a rough little DF200E for under $500 with current rego and Wof, I pick it up next Sunday,

Im under the impression the DF200 is the same set up as a DR200, and parts should be interchangeable? was hoping one of you lads might be able to confirm this for me,

and any other noob tips for riding on gravel and dirt would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance, will post some photos when I pick her up.

Welcome.

gravel tips:

Relax
Learn to ride standing up
Stay on your side of the road.

Thats all.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,422
Gidday.
There is prob more info for you over here. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/fo...-Purpose-Bikes

While this is a better thread for pics & bike builds etc kb has more members.

As for gravel
What Woodman says
stay relaxed
stay on your side of the road
stay - blue nile

Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
DrunkenMistake OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Gidday.
There is prob more info for you over here. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/fo...-Purpose-Bikes

While this is a better thread for pics & bike builds etc kb has more members.

As for gravel
What Woodman says
stay relaxed
stay on your side of the road
stay - blue nile

Im a member on KB too, Didn't even realise there was a whole section dedicated to adventure bikes haha

cheers for ths tips!
DrunkenMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMistake View Post
Im a member on KB too, Didn't even realise there was a whole section dedicated to adventure bikes haha

cheers for ths tips!
Welcome to the fun side of life

a 200 is a great size to get your loose surface confidence/skills up.

we'll look forward to seeing the photos of your new toy.

Is there a story behind your name? - or are you just letting us know you are married?
__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:55 AM   #7
DrunkenMistake OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
Welcome to the fun side of life

a 200 is a great size to get your loose surface confidence/skills up.

we'll look forward to seeing the photos of your new toy.

Is there a story behind your name? - or are you just letting us know you are married?
Hahaha,

Nah couldn't come up with a Forum handle many moons ago and my folks used to like to always bring up when I done something wrong "Too bad you were the planned child and not the Drunken mistake"

Kinda just took it from there haha
DrunkenMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: dunedin new zealand
Oddometer: 301
welcome drunkin,great wee bike,and as others have said,ideal for broadening your handling skills without a big outlay.
i live local to you,and if you need anything, let me know .
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
DrunkenMistake OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikeslob View Post
welcome drunkin,great wee bike,and as others have said,ideal for broadening your handling skills without a big outlay.
i live local to you,and if you need anything, let me know .
Cheers mate,

Went into the Zook dealer today and they confirmed the DF200 is the same as the DR200 Trojan which is the same as the standard DR200,

Doesn't get much easier than that
DrunkenMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #10
wpoll
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wpoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikeslob View Post
welcome drunkin,great wee bike,and as others have said,ideal for broadening your handling skills without a big outlay.
i live local to you,and if you need anything, let me know .
I'm another local too; same goes... Need a hand with routes, info, tools etc, just shout...
__________________
Wayne
New Zealand
'01 F650GS Dakar ("Checkers")

"...The world is actually on your side..." - Ted Simon
wpoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
DrunkenMistake OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
I'm another local too; same goes... Need a hand with routes, info, tools etc, just shout...
Cheers mate!

Planning on picking the bike up this Sunday from Queenstown and going from there,

Was thinking I might start light, maybe some dirt roads something like Berwick road or something,

Open to suggestions to some great beginners trails that are near by, Was thinking down the backside of the peninsula as well like hoopers inlet or something.
DrunkenMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:07 AM   #12
wpoll
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wpoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Oddometer: 115
So? Hows the new bike?

The back roads on the peninsula are great - my practice ground. If I can't get out for a longer ride, a quick blast around Hoopers is a great way to keep the skills up - or develop them.
__________________
Wayne
New Zealand
'01 F650GS Dakar ("Checkers")

"...The world is actually on your side..." - Ted Simon
wpoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #13
DrunkenMistake OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 6
Feeling rather dark to be honest, seller changed their mind last moment so im without a dirt/adv bike just yet,

Other things have popped up at the current so just working through those and saving up some more.

I hadnt been down to hoopers before last weekend, took the misses car out for a thrash
DrunkenMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #14
warewolf
Tyre critic
 
warewolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,354
Welcome! and bugger that the seller reneged!!

I had a 2001 DR200SE for a few years. Capable machine and I learnt a lot on it. On the road it felt like a 125 GP racer in that it had no power so apex speed and maintaining momentum was everything!
__________________
Cheers,
Colin
KTM LC4 640 Question? Check here first --> KTM LC4 (640) Index Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014