Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
advzebra OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Topping off Coolant mildly often?

Opinions:

I'm inbetween oil changes - 22k on my 950 Adventure.
Last oil change was perfect - no wavy filter, nothing. Decided to do a coolant flush while I was at it (it was my first service for this bike) - had some grit inside the waterpump but cleaned it nice and good - all looked surprisingly well.

SO!

Every few hundred miles I need to top off my coolant reservoir - like from the empty line to full line. The bike will go into my local shop to get the valves checked and all that bigger service work @ 24k.. just wondering if this is normal?

I get a bang of worry when I see that empty reservoir and wonder if all that coolant is leaking through a failed waterpump seal.

Worst case I'll take it in for early service this week and just get it over with, figured this might help me decide.
advzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
The coolant in my reservoir tank hasn't changed since I installed a new shaft+seal

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,271
Fine hole in the radiator?

Check the hoses for leaks. Has any of the hoses been moved? The bikes come with clamps that are only useable once and pretty robust. There's quite a few couplings that are under the airbox and could be a source of a leak. Coolant has a sweet distinctive smell, ride a bit and smell around. All you might need is a tweek or replacement of the offending clamp.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,467
Pull the clutch cover to inspect for slimy milky crud . . . A sealed cooling systems will not change much in a year.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 405
Check any joints you disturbed for your flush. It seems a bit of a coincidence it happened after that. I recently cause a leak at the pump outlet (didn't renew the o-rings) following a flush. It you do have a leak you may find it easier if you park over a clean surface with the sump guard removed and check it next morning. It may only show when it's cold because the coolant evaporates when the engine's hot and may not cause a drip.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,585
Did u do the correct burp procedure after the refill?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
advzebra OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thanks for all the posts!

I feel quite confident I burped correctly, haven't smelled anything and all that. I'll probably just send it to the shop and let them check it all out. Needs to have the valves checked anyways since I didn't bother at 20k - if they give me a clean bill of health it'll stop that nagging feeling. If they fit me with a decent bill, I'll be happy I took it in either way!
advzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
shawty950
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Levels

When the expansion tank level is on the low mark or just above(engine cold), if you dont fill up the expansion tank to the high level, is the level the same the next day after the engine cools down again or does it continue to keep dropping?

Reason I ask is that my 03 950 and now my 07 990 dont like being filled to the high level mark cold. What happens is that when the engine gets warm it expands into expansion tank and excess goes out overflow. Usually when the motor is warm, it is roughly around the high mark. When the motor cools down it goes down to just above the low mark.
This cycle repeats itself each running of the engine...with the cold level never really changing..ie always stays 10mm above low mark cold.
shawty950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawty950 View Post
When the expansion tank level is on the low mark or just above(engine cold), if you dont fill up the expansion tank to the high level, is the level the same the next day after the engine cools down again or does it continue to keep dropping?

Reason I ask is that my 03 950 and now my 07 990 dont like being filled to the high level mark cold. What happens is that when the engine gets warm it expands into expansion tank and excess goes out overflow. Usually when the motor is warm, it is roughly around the high mark. When the motor cools down it goes down to just above the low mark.
This cycle repeats itself each running of the engine...with the cold level never really changing..ie always stays 10mm above low mark cold.
Same here.
Heat makes it expand into the expantion tank, cooling off creates a vacuum and sucks the fluid back in the radiator. Leaving the hot and cold mark at the exact same position since i flushed it.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by advzebra View Post
Opinions:

I'm inbetween oil changes - 22k on my 950 Adventure.
Last oil change was perfect - no wavy filter, nothing. Decided to do a coolant flush while I was at it (it was my first service for this bike) - had some grit inside the waterpump but cleaned it nice and good - all looked surprisingly well.

SO!

Every few hundred miles I need to top off my coolant reservoir - like from the empty line to full line. The bike will go into my local shop to get the valves checked and all that bigger service work @ 24k.. just wondering if this is normal?

I get a bang of worry when I see that empty reservoir and wonder if all that coolant is leaking through a failed waterpump seal.

Worst case I'll take it in for early service this week and just get it over with, figured this might help me decide.
This sounds so much like what I just went through, and it was after I flushed the system that the coolant overflow tank started to go down after every ride, just a little, after it cooled. Turned out to be a water pump seal. If it is getting serviced anyway, take a look at the water pump. In my experience the level in the overflow will remain the same (normal up and down during heat, cool cycles) and you should not have to add when the seal, and rest of the system is tight.