ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #46
infinityedge
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 94
With enough money and time anything is possible....

Since you are looking for more power on mountain passes, perhaps turbocharging is worth a gander: ceramic coat the heads and exhaust system, perhaps even run water/meth injection for cooling, dual plug, extra large oil cooler, maybe an intercooler, set up a fuel injected system (megasquirt or similar) and you should be able to have as much power as you want at any altitude without melting the engine.

Would take a bit of $$ and a bunch more time. It would be much more logical to start out with a better candidate than an airhead, but the thought of a turbo airhead hack does make me weak in the knees....
infinityedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #47
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Cafe_Rat View Post
Nitrous? Why not just mount one of those rockets that aid carrier jets in taking off from their flattop?

Ace Cafe Rat
JATO bottles. Solid fuel so they're one shot. Costly, also bulky and eye catching for LEOs.

Actually, for an extra 20 HP, just put a Briggs or Honda engine in the side car and chain drive it's wheel through an over running clutch.

Do you see a point of diminishing returns here someplace?

You want 3 things that utterly conflict with one another and you kinda ain't talking about one of them. Reality by fiat ain't a gonna work.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #48
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico
 
Airhead Wrangler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Seattle, FINALLY
Oddometer: 6,430
The airhead hack in this video sounds kinda zippy:

__________________
R80ST Gets The HPN Treatment
Seattle to TDF on an airhead

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #49
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityedge View Post
With enough money and time anything is possible....

Since you are looking for more power on mountain passes, perhaps turbocharging is worth a gander: ceramic coat the heads and exhaust system, perhaps even run water/meth injection for cooling, dual plug, extra large oil cooler, maybe an intercooler, set up a fuel injected system (megasquirt or similar) and you should be able to have as much power as you want at any altitude without melting the engine.

Would take a bit of $$ and a bunch more time. It would be much more logical to start out with a better candidate than an airhead, but the thought of a turbo airhead hack does make me weak in the knees....
Luftmeister did the airhead turbo thing way back when. You still see a Lufty turbo system for sale on the IBMWR.org site now and then and they're not that expensive. Especially when you consider the performance gains available.

Sold mine in '1 or '02 for under $2k.

Always thought they made the most sense for a mountain touring rig like an RT, but a hack would be a good spot for them, too.

Think "lots of oil volume and BIG oil coolers".

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #50
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist
 
Boxer Metal's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,435
Carburetors and exhaust will give you the biggest return.
__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
Boxer Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #51
Beater
Mighty Unclean
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
carburetors and exhaust will give you the biggest return.
+1
__________________
Fred
'85 R80RT G/Sified <|> '91 R100GS Bumblebee (103K miles and climbing) <|> '73 R75/5 LWB
Airhead Zen: Ride - Repair - Ride - Maintain - Ride - Repeat
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #52
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer
 
DaveBall's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 1,162
Biggest performance increase = Install a VW engine.
Stays as air cooled
Doubles the amount of pistons
Parts are readily available almost anywhere
Can easily add more power with simple bolt on stuff.
Tried and true technology.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #53
Ace_Cafe_Rat OP
Rogue Adventurer
 
Ace_Cafe_Rat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Undisclosed Location in the Nuevo Mexico Desert
Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
Biggest performance increase = Install a VW engine.
Stays as air cooled
Doubles the amount of pistons
Parts are readily available almost anywhere
Can easily add more power with simple bolt on stuff.
Tried and true technology.


Better still one of those 2 liter+ Westfalia Volkswagen Van engines! Does anyone have experience doing this?

Ace Cafe Rat
__________________
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Hoban "Wash" Washburne - Firefly & Serenity
Ace_Cafe_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #54
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer
 
walkingbear's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Scottsdale AZ..
Oddometer: 3,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Cafe_Rat View Post


Better still one of those 2 liter+ Westfalia Volkswagen Van engines! Does anyone have experience doing this?

Ace Cafe Rat

get a subaru engine
__________________
BMWMOA 82741 ABC 8418
2wheeltraditions@gmail.com
75 R90S , 77 R100 RS,88 R100GS ,94 R1100RS (Aragorn) 2k 1150GS DMC sidecar,
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #55
Ace_Cafe_Rat OP
Rogue Adventurer
 
Ace_Cafe_Rat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Undisclosed Location in the Nuevo Mexico Desert
Oddometer: 222
That equine isn't just merely dead, it's really most sincerely dead!

ThanX to all who have been so generous with their advice.

I have created a new thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917354 asking for ideas for reliability increasing mods for a rig destined for as much off-pavement driving as possible in the Desert Southwest. Please favor me with your suggestions there.

As soon as I have my new rig I will of course be posting a picture or two for your viewing pleasure.

ThanX Again,

Ace Cafe Rat
__________________
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Hoban "Wash" Washburne - Firefly & Serenity
Ace_Cafe_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #56
ked
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Cafe_Rat View Post
ThanX to all who have been so generous with their advice.

I have created a new thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917354 asking for ideas for reliability increasing mods for a rig destined for as much off-pavement driving as possible in the Desert Southwest. Please favor me with your suggestions there.

As soon as I have my new rig I will of course be posting a picture or two for your viewing pleasure.

ThanX Again,

Ace Cafe Rat
well, did the delivery truck get lost?

let's see some of those pics!!!

ked

ps: old school meets new school

http://www.bmwra.org/forum/showthrea...-Old-meets-New
__________________
If a man speaks in the woods, and a woman is not there to hear it, is he still wrong?
ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #57
Ace_Cafe_Rat OP
Rogue Adventurer
 
Ace_Cafe_Rat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Undisclosed Location in the Nuevo Mexico Desert
Oddometer: 222
It got here and the rig is gorgeous, but I can't seem to figure out how to post pics here anymore.

Will someone help a brudder out with his tech klutzyness?

Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ked View Post
well, did the delivery truck get lost?

let's see some of those pics!!!

ked

ps: old school meets new school

http://www.bmwra.org/forum/showthrea...-Old-meets-New
__________________
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Hoban "Wash" Washburne - Firefly & Serenity
Ace_Cafe_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #58
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels
 
bmwhacker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: MONTANA NATIVE from NATIVE MONTANA
Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldust View Post
I have 7 Airheads including a 1070 R100GSPD, I also have a sidecar with a K100RT as a Tug, in my view an Airhead on a sidecar does not work for Freeway riding, much cheaper with a K bike, being watercooled and a bullet proof engine they are a much better choice, cheaper in the long run too.

A 1070 engine loves to rev, a sidecar needs low down torque.
I think you are right on the money.
I run a R100S / 40mm Bings with my hack. 65 mph is where it is happy. Not a good freeway rig. It will do 75 mph all day but doesn't like it.
85 MPH?....K-Bike or an old Gold Wing get my vote.
I have an old Naked GL 1000 which was going to be a tug, but it is too much fun as a solo bike.
__________________
http://jupiterhack.blogspot.com/

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #59
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsty View Post
I'm a little late also but here's my R90S turbo. 162000 miles on it so don't say they all blow up.
from Adv thread
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:58 AM   #60
ozboxer
jack
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Ballarat. Victoria
Oddometer: 26
Hey there

You want a boxer and want more power? leave it standard or don't get a boxer. the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid) not personal but generally the best option in life.

Don't mess with the tractor motor of the m/bike world! Like buying a Ural and complaining that it's slow - just looking for trouble . Just bought an airhead outfit, it's slow but i LIKE it for what it is! Couldn't fit comfortably on a Ural - dang.

Enjoy them for what they were designed for. Guess it's worth asking though.....
ozboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014