User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
idahosam riding through Texas

Hola Texas, I am leaving in a couple of days to ride down and visit my Sister and family (their all born and raised in Texas) nieces, nephews, brother, cousins. So basically I was wondering if some of you could recommend some nice roads to ride on my way. I am entering into Texas from NM on 380 heading to Waco, well actually Lorena and then on down to Hockley-n-Katy. I just hate blasting down the major highways, rather enjoy finding the out of the ways things you know the real America.

Any routing and or interesting sights along the way would be appreciated. I am riding my Triumph Tiger so I prefer pavement.

Thanks,

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 638
112 between Taylor and Lexington is entertaining. 1291 from Ledbetter to New Ulm has a few twists, turns and surprises. 1094 from New Ulm to Sealy is a nice ride, but not challenging. 1458 from San Felipe to Brookshire is called "Racer Road" so watch for radar. That will get you close to Katy.

I35 and I10 are crowded freiught conveyors, take care.

Enjoy your trip to Texas.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up with you at the crash site.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,270
Meridan offers a good route through that back roads I ride a couple of times every month.

Here's a bit of a longer, more southerly route, that gives a fly-by of the Guadalupe Mountains, 118 south from Kent to Fort Davis (one of my favorites),
Hwy 90 past Alpine, Marathon, Sanderson, Langtry and Del Rio.

Continuing through San Antonio, picking up IH10 to Sequin (not bad if not during rush hour), then HWY 90A to Shiner (Brewery tour) on through small towns to Eagle Lake then up to Sealy to slab on in to Katy.

The "direct route" from Roswell to Katy is about 10 hours... this route is about 14 and a half, if you have the time....

http://goo.gl/maps/fCTGi

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Meridan offers a good route through that back roads I ride a couple of times every month.

Here's a bit of a longer, more southerly route, that gives a fly-by of the Guadalupe Mountains, 118 south from Kent to Fort Davis (one of my favorites),
Hwy 90 past Alpine, Marathon, Sanderson, Langtry and Del Rio.

Continuing through San Antonio, picking up IH10 to Sequin (not bad if not during rush hour), then HWY 90A to Shiner (Brewery tour) on through small towns to Eagle Lake then up to Sealy to slab on in to Katy.

The "direct route" from Roswell to Katy is about 10 hours... this route is about 14 and a half, if you have the time....

http://goo.gl/maps/fCTGi

NFE
Thanks No False E. for the routing idea. When I was stationed at Ft Bliss many years ago I use to go home to Houston so I have been up and down I 10 and hy 90 many a time last I traveled thorough Alpine, Marathon, Sanderson, Langtry and Del Rio. Was January 2012 Sanderson has a nice M/C friendly little motel across the street from the gas station.

My intent is to go a way I've never been, and so I wanted to cut through the middle of the state towards Waco, I have a cousin there.

I haven't been through Capitan since 77 when thy had just buried Smokey the Bear, and Lincoln Roswell to see the cheesy Alien stuff But I am looking for some interesting sights along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
112 between Taylor and Lexington is entertaining. 1291 from Ledbetter to New Ulm has a few twists, turns and surprises. 1094 from New Ulm to Sealy is a nice ride, but not challenging. 1458 from San Felipe to Brookshire is called "Racer Road" so watch for radar. That will get you close to Katy.

I35 and I10 are crowded freiught conveyors, take care.

Enjoy your trip to Texas.
Thanks I'll dig my map out and look it over.

Aldous Huxley
Old 09-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

So maybe this will help. I have my basic routing through and am just wanting to know if there are any interesting quirky sights to see along the way; you know, like largest twine ball, biggest pair of boots, biggest hat, etc...

If not well hell it's all new to me anyway. Man Texas 1/3 of my trip in miles. Got to be something to see along the way.

So how's my route look?

Anyway thank you to those who chimed in with some ideas.

Aldous Huxley
Old 09-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,270
Quote:
Originally quoted by idahosam:

Sanderson has a nice M/C friendly little motel across the street from the gas station.
You know it's a small town when the motel is located across the street from the gas station....

I've stayed there twice in the past year on rides to Big Bend...

Last month, I took this ride outbound to CO, UT, AZ and NM...

http://goo.gl/maps/VUX2U

It followed parts of the Caprock as I headed west.

The return trip was this: http://goo.gl/maps/kImSW

Best ridden with the sun behind you...

Spent my time at Fort Hood so, between the outbound and return, I moto'ed north and south of the maneuver area. Unbelievable growth in the surrounds in the past 35-40 years.

Have a good ride.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
I don't think the first part that goes across below Lubbock will be much fun.
If you have the time go South down 17 then down through Ft. Davis to Persidio. Hit 170 across to Terlingua. 170 is THE BEST MC road in Texas.
You can then ride up back up 118 or 385 and hit 67 going East to 84 East.

If you do stay North of I20 make sure to be at Strawn ,Tx. for meal time.
Eat at Mary's Cafe in Strawn for the Best Chicken Fried Steak. It will melt in your mouth.

I would also be really careful on Texas Two Lanes at night. Jillions of Suicidal Deer out there.

Some sights to see

Big Telescope at Ft Davis
Marfa Lights
Sundown on the Trading Post Porch in Terlingua
Oil Wells
Cattle
Wind Generators

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

YO Bigdon, thanks for the routing idea. To be honest I have been through south Texas numerous times and Big Bend, and to be honest there use to big a big ass Hare Hound M/C ride down there in the early 70's out of Terlingua.

Now that said, in all honesty I have never been across 170 along the border. I have however considered using Presidio as a cross point to Mexico. I truly appreciate that this is the preferred part of Texas recommendations, I am just looking for something different. I have been researching and seems Abilene has some interesting stuff and also Eastland. I've read about a guy who lives in an old missile silo south of Abilene too. So if the NM stateline coming in is pretty boring then I hope DPS is understanding as I may have to notch the speed up until it gets interesting again

Strawn Texas? Now that's not too far off my route chicken fried steak.

Really appreciate the input. I had a good chuckle at the Prada Store out of Valentine last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
I don't think the first part that goes across below Lubbock will be much fun.
If you have the time go South down 17 then down through Ft. Davis to Persidio. Hit 170 across to Terlingua. 170 is THE BEST MC road in Texas.
You can then ride up back up 118 or 385 and hit 67 going East to 84 East.

If you do stay North of I20 make sure to be at Strawn ,Tx. for meal time.
Eat at Mary's Cafe in Strawn for the Best Chicken Fried Steak. It will melt in your mouth.

I would also be really careful on Texas Two Lanes at night. Jillions of Suicidal Deer out there.

Some sights to see

Big Telescope at Ft Davis
Marfa Lights
Sundown on the Trading Post Porch in Terlingua
Oil Wells
Cattle
Wind Generators

Aldous Huxley
Old 09-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 638
Head's up, a lot of the little po-dunks are working their speed traps with official police pick-ups or SUVs these days. DPS is using SUVs as well. Eddy, Marlin, Calvert and Hearne come to mind as ticket potentials from looking at your map, but obviously, there are others.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up with you at the crash site.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
Head's up, a lot of the little po-dunks are working their speed traps with official police pick-ups or SUVs these days. DPS is using SUVs as well. Eddy, Marlin, Calvert and Hearne come to mind as ticket potentials from looking at your map, but obviously, there are others.
Thanks for the heads up.

Aldous Huxley
Old 09-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Mi Casa tu Casa

Hey Sam,

It's been almost two years since Mark883 and I stumbled across you and RadioMan in Durango.

If you bend your route a bid south to Austin (Cedar Park) I have a spare bedroom and garage space for you and your noble steed.

Buen viaje Amigo!

Schizz

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Hey Sam,

It's been almost two years since Mark883 and I stumbled across you and RadioMan in Durango.

If you bend your route a bid south to Austin (Cedar Park) I have a spare bedroom and garage space for you and your noble steed.

Buen viaje Amigo!

Schizz
Hey Schizz, yup been awhile. Time Fly's, can you believe Marks in Africa on the last leg of his ADV.

Thanks for the offer man, I just spent time with my Cousin in Lorena ( So close) I am now at my sister's in Hockley. Going to be here for around 10 days. Leaving the Bike in her garage flying home. Going to return Feb or March to do some more riding.

I just rode all back roads through Texas and it was amazing... pictures to come.

Thanks for the offer.

Aldous Huxley
Old 09-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Hey Schizz, yup been awhile. Time Fly's, can you believe Marks in Africa on the last leg of his ADV.

Thanks for the offer man, I just spent time with my Cousin in Lorena ( So close) I am now at my sister's in Hockley. Going to be here for around 10 days. Leaving the Bike in her garage flying home. Going to return Feb or March to do some more riding.

I just rode all back roads through Texas and it was amazing... pictures to come.

Thanks for the offer.

But:
What about the Chicken Fried Steak?

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
Idahosam in TX?!

Hey:
Did you bring any ID with ya. Man I sure miss the riding. For me it's kinda like going to mars except hot. Not only can't I find adv riding no one speaks the language. "What do you ride?" A KTM. "Who makes that?" "is it like a Harley?"........."Oh you want dirt roads?" "It's a dirt bike then"...."Oh its what they call an enduro" ....
And I give up and say "yes its an enduro harley"
You speak of back roads in TX. They are NW tx?? Let me know what you find. Anyway I hope you are enjoying your time.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewestKTM View Post
Hey:
Did you bring any ID with ya. Man I sure miss the riding. For me it's kinda like going to mars except hot. Not only can't I find adv riding no one speaks the language. "What do you ride?" A KTM. "Who makes that?" "is it like a Harley?"........."Oh you want dirt roads?" "It's a dirt bike then"...."Oh its what they call an enduro" ....
And I give up and say "yes its an enduro harley"
You speak of back roads in TX. They are NW tx?? Let me know what you find. Anyway I hope you are enjoying your time.
Hey Man sorry I missed you. I been in and out of Katy numerous times off Katy-hockley rd and Greenhouse rd. Hanging out in Hockley. Flying home Saturday Morning; sister's keeping my bike in the Garage till I get back.

We should get together when I return over a drink and speak DS lingo. I rode my 06 Tiger down and what few bikes I seen cruiser's mainly everyone ask me my bike. All the dirt roads down here are behind locked gates. most people I talk to can't believe I rode all the way here.

Some Great back roads north of Houston mostly county and state road, love the 70 mph speed limits

Aldous Huxley