User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
mikewolff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Comfort seat on 1190 Adventure or R + heat issues

Hi all....newbie here looking for some advice and feedback on 2 issues I've picked up while testing the Adventure here in choffing hot Dubai. I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 215lbs and found the standard seat on the Adv inadequate for comfort. Have any of you tried either the KTM comfort seat which claims extra 20mm of foam and if so with what result? Have you tried any other (Touratech) seats too and if so were they much better?

Secondly how about the heat shields fitted under the seat? Anyone done that and with what results please?

Really keen on the R - but wary of a very sore butt and melted sack!

Thanks in advance

Mike
mikewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
ericGSsti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Edited due to been blind:

Should really read headings correctly.

Sorry man. No input or the 1190 seats.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -

ericGSsti screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 03:30 AM
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewolff View Post
Hi all....newbie here looking for some advice and feedback on 2 issues I've picked up while testing the Adventure here in choffing hot Dubai. I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 215lbs and found the standard seat on the Adv inadequate for comfort. Have any of you tried either the KTM comfort seat which claims extra 20mm of foam and if so with what result? Have you tried any other (Touratech) seats too and if so were they much better?

Secondly how about the heat shields fitted under the seat? Anyone done that and with what results please?

Really keen on the R - but wary of a very sore butt and melted sack!

Thanks in advance

Mike
I swapped to the KTM PowerParts split heated seat from the original about 1500 miles ago (I have done 5000 miles). I actually found the original seat OK, but I had promised my wife a better pillion seat than my old 990. It (the seat, not the wife) arrived along with the extra lights, bash plate and short levers 2 months after I got the bike.

The new seat is really comfortable. Despite it being some 2 cms taller it seems easier getting on/off, perhaps because of the split, or more likey it is slightly narrower. I have done a couple of 500 mile days and have not had any problems at all - though compared to my enduro bike, it is like a sofa My wife is really happy too - there is much more room compared to the 990.

The seat also seems to help disperse the heat from the rear cylinder and header pipe. Granted we don't have the high temps here in the UK that you experience, but you only feel some warmth on your left thigh when you are stuck in traffic. It soon goes when you are on the move and it is certainly not a deal breaker. I think I will even appreciate it in the Winter

Living in Dubai - I am not sure you will ever turn on the seat heat switches though!!
Ducati 998S

DavidD screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 02:35 PM
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
mikewolff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Thanks Dave...you mention the comfort seat's narrower at the front. I found that the standard seat slopes you forward towards the front of the seat and that was one of the areas of discomfort. Does the bigger comfort seat also tip you forwards slightly? Do you have any pics at all please of the new seat? Best wishes Mike
mikewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewolff View Post
Thanks Dave...you mention the comfort seat's narrower at the front. I found that the standard seat slopes you forward towards the front of the seat and that was one of the areas of discomfort. Does the bigger comfort seat also tip you forwards slightly? Do you have any pics at all please of the new seat? Best wishes Mike
The comfort seat is neutral, you are certainly not pitched forward. It is easier to stand on the pegs too.

I have not managed to put up my own pics yet, I need to sort that out, but in the meantime here is a link to another thread with some pics, strangely mine looks exactly the same........................

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...860439&page=19
Ducati 998S
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote