Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #31
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,753
I rode the 40 mile scenic loop that tours through the badlands. It's really beautiful and the roads are super twisty, which makes it hard to really yank and bank, because you are constantly in awe around every corner.

[IMG][/IMG]

These lands are very very bad:
[IMG][/IMG]

I'm consistently amazed how quickly the landscape can drastically change in the USA. I left the badlands and entered the Blackhills. Simply breathtaking. I came upon Mt. Rushmore and took a gander. There is a big visitor center which gets you a great view of it, but I refuse to pay 10 bucks for something that really should be free...
Sure is impressive though!!

[IMG][/IMG]

I stopped in town and had some dinner. Cool little village but obviously winding down the busy season as many places were closed. The bartender gave me a good route south for tomorrow! Looks like some awesome roads to scratch pegs on headed out of here.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally, a shot of my luxurious accommodations for this evening!!

[IMG][/IMG]

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #32
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
loving this thread already
great pictures and descriptions
can't wait to see and read many more
thanks for sharing with us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #33
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
loving this thread already
great pictures and descriptions
can't wait to see and read many more
thanks for sharing with us
Thanks for following me!

Old 09-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #34
ppfeifer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Mitas tires

Scudrunner82,

How did your Mitas tires do on the trip? I'm not familiar with the brand but thought they looked pretty neat.

ppfeifer
ppfeifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #35
nanox14
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Nice work

nice first RR dude , awesome machine for this trip, hope the weather cooperates later on. good luck and keep having fun..
nanox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #36
podinis
ExPat

Oddometer: 10
Great Ride

Following with interest - it looks like a great trip !

Curious to see how today went, in Park City we had Hail earlier, and snow just now ?
podinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #37
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppfeifer View Post
Scudrunner82,

How did your Mitas tires do on the trip? I'm not familiar with the brand but thought they looked pretty neat.

ppfeifer
Look for lots of info soon concerning the tires. All good things!!!

Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #38
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Day 4

Curled up in my tent and time for another update! Close to 600 miles today, although was planning on closer to 475!! More on that later.
I made my way out of the black hills, and right out of the gate was greeted to possibly the most challenging twisty road I've been on, to include a lot of West Virginia and tail of the dragon. Route 82 south of Hill City is some majorly technical twisties!! The roads were in great shape, but the curves were all completely different and unpredictable. Lots of decreasing radius and off camber to make things even harder. Plus there were no guardrails to a very long way down. I really had to pace myself and remember I'm a long way from home and alone, and I don't want to scratch my pretty moto. Even more hazardous was the presumably dazed and confused motorist from California, who seemed to have forgotten we drive on the right side of the road in most of North America.

Shots from early in the day exiting the black hills:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I actually woke this guy up from his nap. And here I thought I was riding a beast. HE is a beast.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #39
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

The trip from South Dakota to Colorado was pretty uneventful, aside from more brutal crosswinds. I've found a technique of tucking was down and resting on my tank bag really fights fatigue. A little aleve aspirin doesn't hurt either. Only saw the eastern portion of Wyoming. Was really hoping to see bear tooth highway but ya can't win em all!

[IMG][/IMG]

So as I was eluding to before. It wasn't supposed to be such a high mileage day, but due to flooding near where my planned campsite was, I made it all the way to Cheyenne before I found that out. So now at a gas station I had to figure out where I was spending the night. I spoke to a local rider on a Harley, who had vast knowledge of Colorado. He recommended heading west, past Laramie, and down into Steamboat springs. I took his advise.
It turned into a beautiful mountain ride up and over baker mountain. I saw over 9000 feet and haven't even seen dirt yet!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Lastly, another big highlight of my day was actually getting my first real meal since I left NY. Found a great Italian place in Steamboat Springs and had a feast!!!! I've learned that no ADV ride report is complete without FOOD pictures!!

Caprese salad, followed by chicken Marsala and tiramisu. Eat your heart out.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #40
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quick tire update. I couldn't be more pleased with the Mitas tires so far. About 2600 miles in 4 days and they are just now starting to show a bit of wear. I have little doubt they will take me all the way home, but we shall see, still a long ways to go.

They are excellent in the twisties and give a very confident feel. They seemed to grip well in the rain and for a true 50/50 dual sport tire sure are wearing like iron. I can't wait to try them off road.

They are now my new go-to tires for the Yamaha and I already ordered a new set to be waiting for me back home when I get back. We need to petition someone to be a US supplier so we don't have to order them from Canada and spend so much on shipping!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #41
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 594
I'm in....In July we did a 2-up,17 day 7,500 mile loop on my Tenere covering much of the same ground as you are.....

Have fun.....enjoy
Old 09-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #42
Davethestick
Registered Rider

Oddometer: 72
Sweet RR!

Stay safe out there!
Davethestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #43
twflybum
Prodigal Biker

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Quick tire update. I couldn't be more pleased with the Mitas tires so far. About 2600 miles in 4 days and they are just now starting to show a bit of wear. I have little doubt they will take me all the way home, but we shall see, still a long ways to go.

They are excellent in the twisties and give a very confident feel. They seemed to grip well in the rain and for a true 50/50 dual sport tire sure are wearing like iron. I can't wait to try them off road.
Been tagging along.. thanks for the tire review! I've been seriously considering a set for my S10 Raven (the fast color )

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
.. We need to petition someone to be a US supplier so we don't have to order them from Canada and spend so much on shipping!!!
+1
twflybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #44
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Day 5

Okay I'm done with west. It's overwhelming me.

How about crawling out of your tent to a view like this?

[IMG][/IMG]

It was a bit chilly in the morning but I was nice and toasty in my sleeping bag. Bit of frost on my seat

[IMG][/IMG]

After leaving steamboat springs, I headed south on some beautiful twisty farm roads, perfectly paved and lightly traveled. I came upon Colorado river road which is a 35 mile stretch of dirt road that comes out on I70. Time to get her dirty FINALLY.

Where the pavement ends!
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I came out to I70 and headed west for a while until I came to route 65. I took that and rode up and over Grand Mesa. Fast, winding, sweeping turns for miles and miles. The Yamaha put big smiles on my face and never did I wish I was on a pure sport bike. What an amazing machine. Oh and the scenery was okay too:

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see the road winding back down if you look closely:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #45
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Beartooth pass and homestake pass have both already been closed here do to snow, homestake being on the interstate was immediately re opened.

be very careful, Montana is famous for its black ice, meaning if it is in the shade you will not realize you are on it until it is to late.

Take your time in the morning, let things warm up a couple hours before taking off.

The Yellowstone Area is famous for its cold temperatures.

Be careful and enjoy your trip.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote