Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 04:30 AM   #61
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,197
This makes me really wish I still had my Adventure and two weeks of vacation.

Keep up the good work Randy, I look forward to checking this thread every day.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #62
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
This makes me really wish I still had my Adventure and two weeks of vacation.

Keep up the good work Randy, I look forward to checking this thread every day.

Thanks Buddy,

Wish you could have come along! Maybe next year??

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #63
Chuck Pryce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
You could make a ghetto seal saver with a soda bottle,whatever you do carry on this is a good read!
Chuck Pryce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #64
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Day 6

After a good nights sleep in Gateway, I woke up refreshed and in a positive frame of mind. Looking at my disgusting bike, I decided to give it a wash before I tried any repairs. Nothing worse than working on a dirty motorcycle. Those that know me know my anal retentiveness with bike cleaning. It's really a problem I need to work on... Anyway,
Lucky, I was camped about 100 yards from a car wash. I wheeled it over, and blasted off what I would estimate was about 20-30 pounds of mud. Now back at camp, I brainstormed repair ideas for my leaky forks. Prying down the dust wipers revealed the leaking seals. My mountain house freeze dried food wrapper from the night before seemed like just the right thickness to get in between the fork legs and the seals, so I gave it a go. After surgically cleaning everything I put it all back together and jounced up and down on the bike........ And..... No leaks!!! I either fixed both seals, or all the oil had leaked out

[IMG][/IMG]

I was back on the road. And down only about 1 hour labor. I couldn't be happier! Before I left, I hit up the powerwash one last time, and got the last bit of mud off. Even used the "spot free rinse". Cause thats how I roll. Don't be hatin'.

The 85 mile ride to Moab was in very high spirits now that my steed was back 100%.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I rolled into town and pulled into Moab power sports. I was greeted by a very friendly lady, and asked if she minded if I changed my oil in the parking lot. She happily went and got me a drain pan, as well as some rags, and laid it all out right on the showroom floor! I got my tools out and serviced up my motor. Good for another 4000 miles.

[IMG][/IMG]

After I found my campsite I setup my gear and learned that a desert is actually a really great place to pitch a tent!!

[IMG][/IMG]

So in all it was a great day. Not much riding, but I got caught up on the essentials like bike maintenance and laundry, and all that exciting stuff that's fun to write about.

Day 6 and 7 will both be posted tonight.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #65
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Day 7

So I'm really enjoying making this ride report, however the challenge it presents to keep it updated nightly is really tough! I missed last night because at my campground, pulled in a F800GS from BC Canada. He came right over and we struck up a conversation. Turns out he is a great guy who is on vacation like myself. He owns his own hot sauce business and even had a sample for me to try tonight, it was excellent. We spent half the night exchanging war stories on bikes, and decided to ride together today! I was really stoked because riding some of the harder trails on big bikes can be a bit risky out here by yourself. Anyway, we were looking for the same type of riding today, and so we scouted out and heard Hurrah Pass and Gemini Bridges were great day rides. So off we go to get dirty.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hurrah Pass was up first. I lead the initial part of the ride because I was familiar with where the trailhead was. After going in a few miles on easy dirt trail, we came to a fork. For some reason my brain must have been leaking as badly as my forks were the previous day, and I led us the wrong way, down "cane creek road". This is considered a "more difficult" trail according to my findings later, and we were both up to our necks in challenge. He was having a bit easier time than me navigating the steep rocky portions, but I was getting through okay. Several times we came to spots where we looked and almost immediately decided to turn around. Then, after hanging for a bit, one of us would eventually say "well, actually I do see a line through that..."

Several sections were especially bony, and for the first time I really felt like I was actually pushing the limits of my bike, and not just myself. My skid plate was getting a workout, and I smacked it pretty hard several times bottoming out both the plate, and the suspension.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

One really difficult section: Pictures just can't do it justice!

[IMG][/IMG]

Several times we passed some jeeps out having fun. They made the tough sections look easy! Yes, we rode this section:

[IMG][/IMG]

So after three or four "hero sections" I began to question my leadership capability on navigating this trail. I referenced my maps and we agreed we totally went the wrong way. After going back to the intersection the sign confirmed that my brain was indeed completely out of suspension oil. Hurrah pass is actually not supposed to be that difficult.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Gemini Bridges was my favorite trail on this trip so far. I didn't get any pictures simply because I was having too much fun to stop!! It was mostly fast, some sand, and lots of big solid rocks for great traction. You could really fly. I actually got the big S10 airborne for the first time too

The views weren't as impressive at the top as Hurrah Pass but the riding was stellar. After a good Mexican dinner, we will likely ride together again tomorrow. Possibly checking out the Lasal Loop road. I've heard great things, so we shall see!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #66
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Before I left, I hit up the powerwash one last time, and got the last bit of mud off. Even used the "spot free rinse". Cause thats how I roll. Don't be hatin'.

GREAT stuff! Keep it comin'!

Old 09-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #67
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 589

Nice job on the RR.......

What brand of wind/bug/air deflector is that you have mounted ?
Touratech ? Laminar ?

How well does it work for ya ????

And how's the tires doing ?

I ran these to help keep dirt out of my seals....
http://www.shocksox.com/
Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #68
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post

GREAT stuff! Keep it comin'!

Thanks man I appreciate it! Lots more to come!

Old 09-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #69
ridefire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
wish I would have caught this earlier , I would have burned down south and joined , what tank pads do you have ?
ridefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #70
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe a View Post

Nice job on the RR.......

What brand of wind/bug/air deflector is that you have mounted ?
Touratech ? Laminar ?

How well does it work for ya ????

And how's the tires doing ?

I ran these to help keep dirt out of my seals....
http://www.shocksox.com/

Thanks!!!

My windscreen is a MRA vario touring screen. Got it from twisted throttle I think.
It came as a complete unit and for me, is exactly what I needed to be able to use a dirt style helmet. When raised up, I get no buffeting at freeway speeds and I don't even need earplugs. Highly recommended.

The tires continue to amaze me. Wearing nice and round, very little squaring. They have about 3600 miles so far, and were highly abused on gravel roads today. I think the traction control light was blinking the entire ride.
Here is a pic from today.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for the tip on the seal covers. I will look into them when I do my forks this winter.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #71
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridefire View Post
wish I would have caught this earlier , I would have burned down south and joined , what tank pads do you have ?
Dang! Would have been glad to have ya.

The tank pads are from Tech Spec.

http://techspec-usa.com/magento/

Old 09-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #72
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Day 8

After a gigantic breakfast bagel/sandwich, we rolled out of the campground and headed for Sand Flats Rd. This is about a 20 mile stretch of loose gravel and sand road that cuts straight into the La Sal mountain range, east of Moab. It winds up the mountain and I felt like we were rally racing! I really got comfortable hanging the back out coming out of corners, something I'm usually too timid to do. The adjustable traction control made it almost like cheating! The bike just won't let you get too far out of whack.

From there we joined the remainder of the La Sal Loop road. 35 miles of narrow, tight and twisty mountain road that winds back down to the main highway. There was a trail near the top that rewarded us with absolutely stellar views.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Dale was too chicken to get right to the edge. I wasn't. Nope. Not at all.

[IMG][/IMG]

On the way to the La Sal area, we took an off shoot on some of the slick rock trails and played around on the rocks. This was really fun, it was like riding on sandpaper, you could basically go anywhere you had the ground clearance for!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Then we made the executive decision to return to Gemini Bridges trail just because it was too much fun yesterday. We blitzed back up the trail and got to the top, only to discover we didn't find the actual viewpoint yesterday! This made the trip back that much more worth it.

[IMG][/IMG]

One of the "Gemini bridges!"

[IMG][/IMG]

Today was the last day my new Canadian friend and me will be riding together. I feel very lucky to have met someone who was into the exact same kind of riding I was looking to do. It was great to get out there with someone other than myself, and it added much to my trip. My friend Dale isn't an ADVer, but he had heard of it. Maybe I will get him to become an inflicted inmate like the rest of us.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #73
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,197
Hey Randy, do you adjust your tire pressure at all for the off road stuff?

If not you'd probably be surprised at how much better the bike would handle with lower pressure.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #74
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Thanks!!!

My windscreen is a MRA vario touring screen. Got it from twisted throttle I think.
It came as a complete unit and for me, is exactly what I needed to be able to use a dirt style helmet. When raised up, I get no buffeting at freeway speeds and I don't even need earplugs. Highly recommended.

The tires continue to amaze me. Wearing nice and round, very little squaring. They have about 3600 miles so far, and were highly abused on gravel roads today. I think the traction control light was blinking the entire ride.

Thanks for the tip on the seal covers. I will look into them when I do my forks this winter.
Thanks.....

Keep up the good work.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #75
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
Hey Randy, do you adjust your tire pressure at all for the off road stuff?

If not you'd probably be surprised at how much better the bike would handle with lower pressure.
I've been running 33 rear 31 front on the road, and airing down to about 20 psi for offroad. I've been pretty happy with it. I'm sure I could go a bit lower but I'm a bit afraid of getting a pinch flat on these square edge rocks out here!