Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #76
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
I've been running 33 rear 31 front on the road, and airing down to about 20 psi for offroad. I've been pretty happy with it. I'm sure I could go a bit lower but I'm a bit afraid of getting a pinch flat on these square edge rocks out here!
That sounds about right.

BTW that MTN bike ride we went on was 27 miles.
With welts to prove it.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #77
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
That sounds about right.

BTW that MTN bike ride we went on was 27 miles.
With welts to prove it.

Welts are good for the soul!! That was an epic ride. Pulled a real bonehead move today you will get a kick out of tonight's update.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #78
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Quote:
Welts are good for the soul!! That was an epic ride. Pulled a real bonehead move today you will get a kick out of tonight's update.

You're not looking for a ride home I hope.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #79
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Day 9

Well, today was a classic case of overconfidence and over exuberance.

After a huge breakfast in Moab, I gassed up and headed out for Capitol reef. The scenery got better and better, and when I entered the park it was mind blowing. I think it's even better than than Moab.

[IMG][/IMG]

The way the roads wind through the canyons make for some exhilarating riding. It's very unique in that you are in the middle of a desert and the roads are all winding, so you really get the best of both worlds.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So I wasn't planning on any offloading today, but the ADV in me got the better of me. Looking at my map, I noticed lake Powel was just west of where I was headed. I came upon a dirt road, with a sign that said "Lake Powel 3 miles".
Cool! I should at least check it out. Well down I headed on this fairly rough road towards the lake. Fully loaded now, it was a bit more to handle than I was used to in Moab, and made the loose and sandy sections more interesting. As I reached the end of the 3 mile trail, the path made a turn and immediately turned into deep sand, followed by about a descent and then a 10 foot drop into a dry riverbed. I stopped as soon as I could, but I was already committed down the path. There was no turning the big girl around by myself.
This is the second time I've been forced down a trail on this bike due to gravity and I swore at myself for being an idiot twice. The first time was on a jeep trail north of the Catskill mountains where I live. Took me 4 hours to get turned around there, so I was pretty agitated.
So I walk down the path which had about 50 feet remaining before the drop. As luck would have it, there was a slight widening at the end, right before the drop off. I had no choice but to ride down and turn around there. Down I go. I was able to get it about 90 degrees to the trail before I was out of momentum.

This shows the drop to the dry riverbed.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is how I ended up.

[IMG][/IMG]

It took me about an hour in the desert heat to get it in this position digging with my hands and feet. I stripped off my luggage to make the bike easier to manhandle.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally after getting mostly pointed uphill, I fired it up and crossed my fingers I wouldn't bury myself up to the hubs. Feathering the clutch and with the assistance of the traction control I made it out.

[IMG][/IMG]

I though I learned my lesson the first time in the Catskill mud, but I must be a glutton for punishment. It was exciting at least. I had 1 liter of water with me, which is less than I should have had. It would have been enough to get me back the 3 miles to the road, and get help, but it would have been a hot miserable hike. I need to be more cautious riding solo. I'm not on a dirt bike!!!

The rest of the ride to my campground in Torrey was uneventful, but still beautiful.
Pulled into a restaurant for dinner and was greeted by a large group of pirate costumes. Turns out they were all from Germany and were on a led group ride from Las Vegas. I really love Germany and was glad to talk to them, they were obviously having a good time visiting the US.

[IMG][/IMG]

Possibly the best campground I've stayed at yet. Peaceful, quiet and right on a farm. Here is the view behind my site:

[IMG][/IMG]

So tomorrow I'm hoping will be more uneventful. I'm going to ride Notom road and the Burr trail, making my way to the Grand Canyon. Treading much more lightly!!!

Old 10-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #80
mcstark
KaTooM convert

Oddometer: 994
The parts are what make it an adventure. I've had a few and remaining calm makes all the difference. Good on ya for keeping your cool - pun intended.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #81
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 589
Magnificent photos.

Glad you made it out of that sand. Take care in the desert on your own.

Looking forward to more pictures.
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #82
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstark View Post
The parts are what make it an adventure. I've had a few and remaining calm makes all the difference. Good on ya for keeping your cool - pun intended.

Very true words of wisdom!!

Old 10-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #83
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantès View Post
Magnificent photos.

Glad you made it out of that sand. Take care in the desert on your own.

Looking forward to more pictures.

I'm glad I made It out too!!!

I always try and leave myself an out. A very small out, but none the less an out

Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #84
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Once I got all packed up, I made my way back east about 18 miles, towards Notom road. This is a 35 mile 50/50 dirt/sand road that heads due south, right through Capitol reef. The scenery was astounding, although while riding the sand portions, I couldn't take my eyes off the road, and rut I was trying to ride. I didn't see a single soul the entire way to Burr Trail.
When I came out the other side, I was very pleased with myself having only dabbed a foot once the whole way. I fear no sand!!!! Well, at least not as much, after the Lake Powell fiasco.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Eventually Notom road comes out on the Burr Trail. The first few miles is dirt; including the famous Burr trail switchbacks.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The paved portion of the Burr Trail.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The rest was paved and came out on scenic Highway 12. I rode up and over "The Hogback". That was a dramatic stretch of road that drops off on both sides of the road down a lonnnng ways.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally, I made my way to a campground near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Being out of the loop on this extended trip, I wasn't sure about the status of the National Parks. I had spoken to a gentleman while having a late lunch in a cafe, and he informed me they were all closed. I got to my campsite, setup my tent, and started brainstorming ways to beat "The Man".

Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #85
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Very cool ride report, especially since you are doing it while you ride. Quite a challenge.

Looks like you are finding some great areas to explore!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #86
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

After waking up and feeling the grit of determination in my teeth, I head off for more dirt. The night before, I must have spent an hour studying the forestry map of the extensive trail network in the Grand Canyon. I had a tip from the girl in the office that the view from Monument Point is awesome, and accessible by dirt. She questioned my getting there on my "street bike" though.

Over 30 miles one way into the woods I go.

[IMG][/IMG]

Just the ride alone, getting to the view was a ton of fun. I had to be very careful to follow the map though as there are a maze of trails there. Thankfully they are all very well marked.

This might be my favorite picture of the trip so far.

[IMG][/IMG]

After about an hour I finally came out to the end of the road. There were several cars and jeeps parked there so apparently I wasn't the only resourceful one!

Just because the government doesn't know how to spend its money doesn't mean I travel 3600 miles so far and not see the Grand Canyon!

[IMG][/IMG]

After about a mile hike up the trail (which I highly recommend not wearing motorcycle boots to do)

[IMG][/IMG]

I emerge to this:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is my first attempt at using the landscape feature on my iPhone. It came out pretty good!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Pictures simply can not capture how Grand that Canyon is. It actually looks fake, standing there and looking at it. I spent about 15 minutes hanging out and snapping pictures, but I had to keep moving. I still had 30 miles of dirt, plus almost 500 miles of pavement to cover, and it was already noon!!

Riding past the Vermillion Cliffs was epic on its own. They are very impressive.

[IMG][/IMG]

Couldn't resist a shot in front of them. And maybe of a couple new stickers on my panniers

[IMG][/IMG]

At the end of the day last night I made it all the way to Albuquerque NM. I got in late and so I ended up getting a hotel for the night. That marked only my second night not camping so far, so I feel pretty good about it. I was wiped out but fell asleep very happy about a great day of riding.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #87
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Awesome!!!

Tell me, is this a ride you'd do again in a year?

I've been unsure about riding that far but this ride report is a very strong argument in favor of leaving the camper home.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Old 10-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #88
mcstark
KaTooM convert

Oddometer: 994
Quote:

This might be my favorite picture of the trip so far.

Stunning pics...and yeah, that one is definitely one to keep the moto-fire burning through the long winter.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #89
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
Awesome!!!

Tell me, is this a ride you'd do again in a year?

I've been unsure about riding that far but this ride report is a very strong argument in favor of leaving the camper home.

It would make it a whole different experience to do it again with a buddy. I probably wouldn't be able to pass it up!!

Do I see an 1190 in your future?!??!!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #90
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstark View Post
Stunning pics...and yeah, that one is definitely one to keep the moto-fire burning through the long winter.
Thanks, and yeah, it's already my background on my iPad!!!