Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
As an instructor I suggest students bring and learn on the smallest bike they have. You can push the drills and training farther and you are less intimidated on the smaller bike while learning, by both weight and power.

Additionally no matter the size of the bike, the skills you take away will work on any size or type of bike. When the bike and rider are in balance, the weight isn't that big of an issue, really. That is how I'm able to ride the bike bikes and make them look light and agile. even when they are not.

Good Luck,

JIMMY
There ya go....
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #17
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
I think the heavyweight dual sport motorcycles out there today are intended to be used exactly how you are using yours. That is, two-up touring and long range travel to try some of the notable rides you referenced. You don't need a lot of specialized instruction for that.

I first found this site in 2004 (I rode Ducati's then). I read a RR report from a guy aboard a Cagiva Elefant. He mapped out some remarkable forest service roads in southern Utah along Colorado River. I was smitten by that RR. About that time I learned about an event called the Alcan5000 that was going to be run in 2006. I began to obsess over those two rides and went down to buy a 1200GS for them that December. On the way, I stopped off at a KTM store and sat on a 950. It reminded me if my 1980 YZ from so long ago and I bought it on the spot.

After getting used to riding that bike, I rode it cross country to Laguna Seca for the 2005 MotoGP. Then I rode it back hitting all those dirt roads I read about in UT, AZ and NM. In 2006 I rode it in the Alcan5000 as well.

Big dual sport motorcycles are excellent travel machines and with decent tires are very fun to explore dirt roads. But they are not any fun when the going gets tough. And they can be dangerous if you are solo a lot like I am.

Today I have a Yam 250 dual sport and a KTM690 as well. Both weigh in around 320lbs ready to roll. I carry about 35lbs worth of gear on top of that. They are just light enough that I feel I can ride them to remote places solo. I do a few dual sport rides a year to help me stay on top of my off road technique, but neither bike is really a good single track motorcycle. I pretty much stick to dirt roads that are at least somewhat maintained.

I'm all for getting instruction, but I think seat time doing the trips you dream about is more important. That and riding them in places for which they were intended.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote