Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #46
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
Hi Pantah,
with the "front range" do you mean Tellico the beginn of the TAT?
If yes - it took us about 3 days to get there from Boston. One short one and two long ones with alot of interstate. Boring but we didn't have that much time.
Cheers Thomas
Thanks but I meant from the beginning of the TAT to the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains. That is where the plains meet the Rockies. I'm trying to figure out how much time I would need for each half of the TAT. I would be attempting in two trips. East from Boston on the bike I have here. Do the west half from Arizona where I keep another bike.

Also, what is that aluminum container on the front left side of your motor? Looks like the oil tanks they use of Dakar racers.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #47
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

Oddometer: 207
Hi Pantah,
From Tellico to New Mexiko where we stored our bikes it took us about 9-10 days, with 2 flats on the road and one in the evening looking for a motel. One flat took us half a day because Sandra had to go to the next town to buy a new tube.
The container next to the motor is a tool box.
cheers Thomas
Thomas B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #48
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

So I was in a good mood on our way through the woods. We had just done the war loop road when about 60 miles after the flat I had a terrible funny feeling again.

I stopped and looked down only to see that my feeling was right. The rear tire was going flat again. On the map I saw that a street wasn't too far away so I slowly went on and tried to reach the pavement before the rim was on the ground. Once on the street I got off the bike and felt the tire. I almost burned my hand. It was burning hot from the driving without air. While we were discussing what to do A pickup cam out of the woods and stopped. the young guy in it asked if we needed help and actually had a small compressor with him. We connedted it to the wheel but had no chance in filling the tube. It was just to slow. We asked him about the next town, hotel and campground. The town wasn't very far, and a campsite was just in sight. At least a bit of luck. I slowly rolled to the campground. It was completly empty but the shower block was open with hot water and we had food for the night so it was good enough for us. I had a look at the tube in the rear and found out that the patch had come off. I remembered that someone had told me that patches don't hold on the thick tubes, but I had never tried it out. (Does anyone know anything?) I have patched alot of holes in normal tubes in the past and never had problems. So we thought it was not worth patching the hole again. We decided that Sandra would drive to the town close by tommorrow mornig and get a new tube while I tear down our camp and look if the nail yesterday had maybe caused some scratches to the rim with sharpe edges. I was hardly finished with everything when Sandra came back with a thumbs up. One new spare front tube and a new tube for the rear. It was a 17" instead of a 18" but was all she could get and it would work.

Getting air into the new tube:

A couple of minutes later we were on our way again.

When we reached Oark it was time to fill up and get a bite to eat.

There were some well known stickers on the front door of the cafe.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #49
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

It was a bit cloudy that day and we even made it up into them.

But finally the sun came out again.

And we slowly came into ranch country with some nice decorated gates.

I must say there is alot of wildlife to be seen in the states. We saw a turtle on the track about every day, quit some deers, and every now and then a snake. Here is the rest of one of them before it disappeared completely in the bushes.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #50
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 115
awsome report so far! Sign me up
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #51
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

It was this day we left Arkansas and made it to Oklahoma. And that is where things became a bit more interesting. But we'll get to that later.

There were some old bridges on the way.

During the morning we stopped to have breakfast on some pizza leftovers from the evening before.

Cold pizza and water. What is better to get you through the day.

This little fellow just made it to cross the track alive. We saw lots of them.

I like the advise on this sign.

This is actually the only sign that impressed us enough to make us take a different route.

And then Oklahoma said hello.
I had read about the mud you can get in Mississippi when it rains but nobody had mentioned the mud in Oklahoma. It had rain a little during the last night but the track was in good condition until we came to this part. It wasn't very long but it was like ice and enough to let Sandra slip a little bit.

And of course the bikes were getting a bit dirty.

Then the riding was ok again. There were more bridges

and the cloud were kind of dark. It was actually the only day in 3 1/2 weeks we got some rain and became wet from the top but not too bad.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #52
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
And then Oklahoma said hello.
I had read about the mud you can get in Mississippi when it rains but nobody had mentioned the mud in Oklahoma. It had rain a little during the last night but the track was in good condition until we came to this part. It wasn't very long but it was like ice and enough to let Sandra slip a little bit.

And of course the bikes were getting a bit dirty.
Now, THAT brings back memories.

Back in '68, at about 50MPH on my BSA 650 Lightning, the pavement stopped and I was on wet red clay. Down we went, picking up enough of the stuff to almost double our weight.

I still don't know how something that slippery on the ground can stick so well to everything else
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:56 AM   #53
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

MichaelJ,
you name it, wait for pictures to come.
Cheers Thomas
Old 10-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #54
wvpc1
AKA: Bill

Oddometer: 36
Subscribed!
Old 10-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #55
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 17,601
Quote:
After arriving in Boston, we went to Air Canada Cargo, looking for our bikes. Everything went really smooth. The bikes were there, the Customs guy was waiting for us and it only took more than five minutes because he wanted to small talk. With our stamped forms we went back to Cargo and in another five minutes we had our bikes.

And here they come:

Then we took apart the crates:

Put everything back together again:

I love how easy that went.
WarLlama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #56
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,729
i got a pinch flat in almost the same spot, running up the ledges to Pilot Rock, was lucky enough that it held air until Oark. i recognize at least one of those stickers. :)

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #57
anywheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Love it!
anywheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #58
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

The next day the weather was good again. I actually liked the east (and the west) of Oklahoma. There were rolling hills with grassland with some short woody parts in between. And the riding was relaxed at a good speed so you could make quit a bit of miles.

But we always had to keep our eyes open for spots that were without gravel. Then it quickly became muddy and with that often "interesting".

Time to turn the throttle.

We saw some more wildlife just next to the track. Wouldn't want this one in my tent.

We even got a last watercrossing on this part of the trip. (not that we didn't get wet feet once more)

Then came a short muddy part. Looking into my mirror I saw a tired bike.

I went back to help get the bike upright again and just offered to get it through this. Off I go.

And another one of these bits.

Thomas B. screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 02:43 AM
Old 10-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #59
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

As Doug said: if there is shade in Oklahoma take a break. It might be the last one for a long time.

Since it was still hot we took the oportunity.

You do see some oil pumping in this state.

some of the mud was really sticky.

Here a last picture from that day.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #60
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Enjoying your ride report.

One question though, you two seem to be the best dressed motorcyclests on ADVrider. She in a dress blouse, and you in a dress shirt. Is that normal motorcycle attire for the Swiss, or do you two out-dress your own countrymen too?
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote