Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,896
Back on the wagon...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #93
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

Oddometer: 178
Of course Bob didn´t have the fitting seal but immediately ordered them from somewhere in California. With the overnight shipment they should be at Bob´s by around 9:30 am. We left for a motel and returned early in the morning to get the first shock out and ready when the seals arrived. The rebuild of one shock went really smooth, the other one gave Bob some problems and so it was quit a bit in the afternoon when everything was finished. There was no point in packing up and leaving so late so we decided to leave early the next morning.

Here is Bob from Future shoxs taking a shock apart.

Getting the inner parts clean.

And puttig things together again.

And getting the shock in the bike again.

We now don´t have White Powers anymore, but Future Shoxs.

It was still almost dark when we started the bikes the next morning (after jumping onto my kickstarter for over 10 minutes, because it was so cold). We went onto the interstate around Phoenix eager to get as far as possible to make up for the lost time. After about an hour on the bikes (still around Phoenix stuck in heavy morning traffic) I look into my mirror and see that Sandra´s light is out. That is our sign for me to stop. I take the next exit and turn into a parking lot. “What´s the problem” I ask Sandra after turning off my engine. “My engine is suddenly very loud. Listen to it.” I take off my helmet and take out the ear plugs. Then I start her bike and hear a very loud noise from under the tank. It sounds as if there was no exhaust mounted. The two exhaust pipes are correctly mounted to the cylinder head, but there is a hole between them. This just can´t be true. Is this the end of the trip? After getting out a flashlight and having a closer look I see that the hole does not look like something was broken out. No it a round machined shape. That is strange. I tell Sandra that we need a KTM dealer. “Well we just past Avendale and there is a dealer there that we called because of the shock repair two days ago.” At least that was good news and after only two miles we were in the right street already. After a breakfast, the shop wasn´t open yet, we walked up to the counter and told the guys what had happened.
At Moto City

They came outside to look and hear the problem. Then we had a look at the spare parts catalog and there is really a plug listed that fits into the hole. What the hole is for no one knew (maybe for manufacturing). And guess what. The plug was not on stock, but 4 of them where in the USA. So again we had to wait for an overnight shipment.

The plug with seal

The guys from Moto City were great. They immediately took Sandra´s KTM in, took apart everything necessary, and promised to get to work again as soon as the plug arrived the next day. So once more we looked for a motel to wait. Finally after spending 3 days of repairs and waiting in Phoenix we left Moto City in the afternoon to at least make it to Yuma directly at the Mexican border.
Will we ever make it to Mexico?
Thomas B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #94
bcs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I would be curious to know why that plug was designed into the engine. Perhaps it is intended to come out, relieving excessively high pressure, and preventing damage to other parts? I don't know what circumstance would generate a high internal pressure to drive it out. Hey, KTM wizards?
Also, does it simply friction fit into the hole? Is there anything that can be done to prevent losing the next one? I would have bought a spare, too.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:41 AM   #95
Redkrouge
Independent

Oddometer: 109
Bienvenue

Hope it get better

The Odessa File
Four days off on the roads of Switzerland
Redkrouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #96
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcs View Post
I would be curious to know why that plug was designed into the engine. Perhaps it is intended to come out, relieving excessively high pressure, and preventing damage to other parts? I don't know what circumstance would generate a high internal pressure to drive it out. Hey, KTM wizards?
Also, does it simply friction fit into the hole? Is there anything that can be done to prevent losing the next one? I would have bought a spare, too.
That plug fits between the exhausts headers and is held in place by some extensions on the 2 manifold clamps... Some bikes come equipped from the factory with S.A.S emissions control equipment and some don't... Bikes that are not equipped with this stuff either have a plug in place of the S.A.S inlet or a different head with out the machined in port..
Those 2 640s are the older models equipped with the pre Hi Flo cylinder, I have never seen the older bikes so equipped with the SAS rigging.. I guess even back then Euro emission specs were tough to meet so KTM had a back up plan...

Also with the bikes coming up to 15 yrs old they are probably still running the same rear shock as they came equipped with from the showroom floor... I suspect the storage conditions where the bikes were kept helped in the drying out process of those old shock seals as to where they just let go...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #97
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

Hello bcs, of course I bought a spare. It was only 5 US.
The plug is 34 in the parts catalog and you can just push it into the hole. It is held by the flanges for the exhaust pipes 30 and 31. I guess it somehow came loose and from the vibrations the top of the plug got thinner until it finally fit between the flanges and fell out.

Hi Redkrouge, just wait there is more bad luck to come, but the trip was good anyway.
Cheers to the "Genfer See".
Thomas
Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #98
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

Thanks for the Info Gunnerbuck. you were a couple of minutes faster than me. Didn´t see your reply as I was writing at the same time.
You are right I must admit. The shocks were both as they came with the bikes. I was thinking of having them rebuild before coming to the states but urgently needed new shocks for my old bmw and they were quite expensive. Having 4 bikes to maintain chews up some money so you cann´t do everything you woud like to. And I said to myself: we are going to the USA and not to Africa. We can get them done there if needed.

Thanks everyone for your replys and have a nice weekend.
Cheers
Thomas
Old 01-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #99
STisma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
At the time even a small issue or a problem seems like a .....
bad luck, quantum physics, why-didn't-I-replace-that-before, is this the end......
An adventure is not complete without problems.
As long as there is no bleeding nor broken bones.....

Have fun!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 AM   #100
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

The next morning we actually crossed the border at Algodones really smoothly and were in Mexico. Then it was tarmac all the way to San Felipe where we checked into a hotel, had a stroll along the beach front, our first XX (that´s a beer for all that have never been in Mexico before), and ate our first fish tacos.( The first of many)

The way onward to San Luis Gonzaga has mostly tarmac and easy gravel but enjoyable all the same. We were just glad to finally be in Mexico, in the warmth, and taking in the beautiful landscape.

The view from our room in Gonzaga.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:42 AM   #101
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

The Plan for the next day was to get more off the tarmac. We had bought the E32 map of Mexico online and got a mail from Omar with the new 2014 edition as a bonus while we were in the states already. It included a number of tracks and we decided to follow one of them. So we downloaded it to our GPSs and started off in the morning.
The first bit was easy going. We even saw some motorbike tracks going in the same direction. As we came closer to the mountains it became rockier. Especially the uphill parts got more and more challenging as the rocks got bigger and bigger and the track steeper.

Getting going in the morning.

The rocks and the up hill parts were starting, but nothing serious yet.

Getting closer to the mountains.

Getting more technical.

We had gone up some pretty steep and rocky party allready.

And then we came to a section where I got stuck going up. I had a long look at what was lying ahead of me. And I had to admit, this was getting a bit too much. On a lighter bike with no luggage – ok. (We later looked and saw that the track was classified difficult.)
The picture does not show how steep it was.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:51 AM   #102
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
Looks steep enough! I'd have turned back on a fully loaded bike..
Not a big "fun factor" for me with stuff like that, and loaded with all my gear.
How many times do you have to pick it up before you say, hmm this may not have been a good choice?
You guys are amazing for getting out there.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:23 AM   #103
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,215
I really enjoy couples RRs, two-up or on their own bikes. Looking forward to every up-date.

As an old retired diesel mechanic that has done his share of hydraulic and diesel fuel system repair,
I must say that smoking an ash falling cigar over precision components is very poor work practice.
However, I'm so glad he was able to serve your needs in such a timely manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post

OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:45 AM   #104
Boxall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
I really enjoy couples RRs, two-up or on their own bikes. Looking forward to every up-date.

As an old retired diesel mechanic that has done his share of hydraulic and diesel fuel system repair,
I must say that smoking an ash falling cigar over precision components is very poor work practice.
However, I'm so glad he was able to serve your needs in such a timely manner.
I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I saw that picture. That shock was probably assembled at the plant in at least a Class 4 clean room.
Boxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #105
Mondo-Hondo
Delusional

Oddometer: 60
Hey Thomas. Glad to have met you two down south. Enjoyed eating dinenr and breakfast in Bahia de los angeles. Keep up the posts.
Mondo-Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote