ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Prodaddy OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: So. Mississippi
Oddometer: 98
Radar Detectors

Am going to install a radar detection system on my 2013 GS WC. Instructions say attach directly to the battery. Will this adversarially affect the CAN-BUS system in my bike if i don't install an auxiliary power fuse panel?
Prodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer
 
mikegc's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: High Point, NC
Oddometer: 1,345
Radar Detectors

I don't have a '13. On my '09, though, anything connected directly to the battery has no issues with CANBUS. Don't forget to turn it off as it will drain your battery. Ask me how I know.

Mike
__________________
IBA 25881


Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
IndyTiger800
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Morgantown Indiana
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodaddy View Post
Am going to install a radar detection system on my 2013 GS WC. Instructions say attach directly to the battery. Will this adversarially affect the CAN-BUS system in my bike if i don't install an auxiliary power fuse panel?
Your radar led will have a fuse in it. It will be the same as putting in a fuse block except you will have power all of the time. Don't forget to turn it off.
IndyTiger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 522
Wire it into an accessory plug's wire. That will handle it just fine. Use Posi-taps.
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,046
Install a fuse block triggered from ignition and don't worry about it....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
You keep posting sources and facts down here and you're gonna get drummed outta CSM.
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
mefly2
Studly Adventurer
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Big Sky Country
Oddometer: 953
Holy smoke! Does yours go fast enough to need a radar detector ... Valentine ???
__________________
----------------> jer-
30+ years with RTs...then to F/GS; now *Finally*
the BMW: R1200GSW, factory low seat & lower crash bars;
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
WindSailor
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WindSailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere out West
Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
I don't have a '13. On my '09, though, anything connected directly to the battery has no issues with CANBUS. Don't forget to turn it off as it will drain your battery. Ask me how I know.

Mike
^^^^^Ditto^^^^^^

Let us know which one you get.

I've been considering getting one -which the wife sourly disapproves of- . If I do, I think it will be one made for a car and installed on a bike. I don't think the motorcycle versions have the tech the car ones do.

Tested: Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector

Which is the World's Best Radar Detector?

Those are somewhat dated, but good reading anyway.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Naval Air Station North Island
Oddometer: 1,724
I wired my Passport X50 into the accessory plug with the OEM connector on my 05 and it worked just fine (as stated above), I also had a Nuvi 550 wired into the same plug together without any trouble, and I didn't have to bother with manually powering them down.
__________________
2013 R1200GSW

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
double_entendre
Ticking away the....
 
double_entendre's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Oddometer: 3,543
I've had an (unused) Valentine for years. Always thought it would make an interesting project to see if I could disassemble it and make it a stealth install. I've always thought that having a radar detector front and center on the dash took your odds of talking your way out of a ticket from slim to none.
__________________
"I have an offer for $1600 shipped behind you, but I'm not a dick so you're first in line. "
--scibeer
double_entendre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,651
I have a 2013 GS-W and I powered my V-1 off the circuit for the GPS. Works fine. No canbus issues, even when also running 2 GPS units.

Beware of radartest. I seem to recall that they are owned by the people selling detectors other than the V-1, and amazingly, they don't rate the V-1 as high as the ones they sell. I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R11200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
biometrics
Adventurer
 
biometrics's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_entendre View Post
I've had an (unused) Valentine for years. Always thought it would make an interesting project to see if I could disassemble it and make it a stealth install. I've always thought that having a radar detector front and center on the dash took your odds of talking your way out of a ticket from slim to none.

I notice no one posting so far has a location in Virginia... and lucky you are. For anyone who lives in Virginia (or those who would consider passing through Virginia) and are considering such a modification... let me warn you ahead of time that Radar Detectors are ILLEGAL in this state, and if you are stopped by the police and they see it, it WILL be confiscated...

If you physically attach it to your bike, such as the "stealth" installation that has been suggested in this thread, I don't think it would be impossible for your whole bike to be confiscated!

Let's be careful out there! -John
biometrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,651
If you are in VA, carry an el-cheapo sacrificial detector to hand over.
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R11200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
double_entendre
Ticking away the....
 
double_entendre's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Oddometer: 3,543
Virginia: Sic semper tyrannis. The DMV doesn't count.
__________________
"I have an offer for $1600 shipped behind you, but I'm not a dick so you're first in line. "
--scibeer
double_entendre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha
 
Spacelord's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Dawsonville Ga.
Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
If you are in VA, carry an el-cheapo sacrificial detector to hand over.
Or.... Carry a padded envelope in your tank bag addressed to yourself with postage already paid. If you get pulled over stick it in the envelope and seal it.
__________________
"I swear to god that I will beat you senseless with a sanka can before I die" Mr.Grumpy
Spacelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner
 
ClearwaterBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Clearwater, FL USA
Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by biometrics View Post
I notice no one posting so far has a location in Virginia... and lucky you are. For anyone who lives in Virginia (or those who would consider passing through Virginia) and are considering such a modification... let me warn you ahead of time that Radar Detectors are ILLEGAL in this state, and if you are stopped by the police and they see it, it WILL be confiscated...

If you physically attach it to your bike, such as the "stealth" installation that has been suggested in this thread, I don't think it would be impossible for your whole bike to be confiscated!

Let's be careful out there! -John
Got love the dimwitted lawmakers in Virginia
antiquated laws
I still can't believe this law is on the books

off my soapbox.. once again
__________________
Greg
'11 R1200 GS Adventure with a DMC M72DX Sidecar
'14 R1200 GS & '14 R nineT (march, 2014)
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014