Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Ducati Multistradas have an upright seating position and wide bars similar to a dirtbike. The air cooled older ones are reasonably light and flickable.
I've ridden both. There is no comparison to the water cooled 1200. Old tech vs. new tech.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 319
When you've ridden in the dirt for years & start riding street you will naturally gravitate to the dual sports; GS1200, KTM Adventure, etc. The other thing is when you get older the upright riding style is way more comfie.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
OldPhat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I have not been on a dirt bike for nine years when I sold my 2000 XR 600, I to have 40 plus years of riding under my belt. At 67 year young I have put a lot of miles on in the dirt, and I also done street at the same time as well. The first bike was doodell bug, fifth grade, in the dirt. In 1970 I got a Suzuki 250 Savage Duel Sport, my first real Motorcycle. Over time and many bikes, Street and Dirt, I am down to just one a 2007 Harley Road King Custom. I still wish for the thrill of riding dirt again so I find myself on Craigslist once a week looking.
OldPhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
ebbanflood
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 323
Don't ride your friends GS, it could get expensive.

That Bandit is a great bike, I talked 2 nephew's into buying it. I rode dirt bikes for many years from age 12 to 17 almost every day. When I started riding street bikes I ran through Honda's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's, Yamaha's, Triumph 650's, Harley Panhead, Shovelhead and Evo's. One day while riding with a friend who was on a BMW GS, he said "lets switch bikes for a while". A short time later I bought my first GS, that was 3 GS's ago. It went like this, 1994 R100GSPD, 1995 R1100GS, 2005 R1150 GS Adventure, 2002 R1150 GS Adventure. When I first rode it I said to him " I don't like it, it's like a dirt bike on steroids". Now when my friends, all still Harley die-hard's ask why, I say "I love it it's like a dirtbike on steroids". When you hit the start button, you are 16 again, when you leave the road and head into the woods, you are 13 again. I still keep a Yamaha TW200 to ride on the beach. Good luck in your search. The great thing about motorcycles is they are all good.
ebbanflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
northy185
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wink

As a long time dirt rider, I got bitten by the sportbike bug when I was between dirt rides. Of course, being 21 and having a good job meant I walked into the Honda dealership and out 2 hours later with a brand new 600RR. Since it had been awhile since I rode dirt, I enjoyed the positioning and how fast I could rip the twisties. After a few speeding tickets and several impound threats, I picked up a dirt bike to burn off the aggression in a "safe" manner again.

My Beta RS with the sumo wheels is really hard to beat. I still have the RR, but I find myself jumping on the Beta. I still get the rush of dipping it into the corners, but at a much 'friendlier' speed
northy185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #21
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,758
I recently learned (thanks to ADV) that it might be possible to plate my KX500, I think that's the ticket!!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbanflood View Post
That Bandit is a great bike, I talked 2 nephew's into buying it. I rode dirt bikes for many years from age 12 to 17 almost every day. When I started riding street bikes I ran through Honda's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's, Yamaha's, Triumph 650's, Harley Panhead, Shovelhead and Evo's. One day while riding with a friend who was on a BMW GS, he said "lets switch bikes for a while". A short time later I bought my first GS, that was 3 GS's ago. It went like this, 1994 R100GSPD, 1995 R1100GS, 2005 R1150 GS Adventure, 2002 R1150 GS Adventure. When I first rode it I said to him " I don't like it, it's like a dirt bike on steroids". Now when my friends, all still Harley die-hard's ask why, I say "I love it it's like a dirtbike on steroids". When you hit the start button, you are 16 again, when you leave the road and head into the woods, you are 13 again. I still keep a Yamaha TW200 to ride on the beach. Good luck in your search. The great thing about motorcycles is they are all good.
That's a great description!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #23
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,412
I've always done both, and tend to set my road bikes up with wide bars, and am happiest on the road with shitty tyres that don't grip. I got a bit sick of adv bikes after a few of them, and built what I like best - a gravel road street bike. Wide bars, narrow seat and dirt tyres....I'm having more fun on this than any adv bike.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #24
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
The 17" front tire and more limited degree of lock-to-lock with a street bike bothers me at very low speeds.
What's nearly tripped me up on my KTM 990 is the very limited (IMHO) lock to lock. Parked next to my DRZ the difference is striking.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,212
Cool bike Motu!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
234wheels
n00b

Oddometer: 6
My first bike was an early 70's cb350. The guy I got it from didn't have a title for it so I helped him take off the mirrors and turn signals then he and later I rode it like a dirt bike. This was in the early 90's. I got rid of it in about '92 and I got into atv's. Then in 1998, I got a 1977 Bultaco Pursang 250 from a guy. My first "real" dirt bike! Sadly, I could barely ride off road when I got it. The closest off road riding area was about an hour away and NOT for beginners. I still feel all the falls in my wrists and knees from time to time. Then 9-11 happened. I heard talk of $3.00/gal gas and got my first street bike-a 1994 zx6. That was fine, but I got rid of it in 2004 before go to Iraq as a civilian contractor. I had myself convinced that I didn't need a street bike for about 1 1/2 months until I picked up a copy of Cycle World. Before I got halfway through, I realized that I shouldn't have gotten rid of my Ninja. After a couple of weeks, I remembered that knew a guy who had a 1993 zx11. It looked almost identical to my zx6, even the same color. I called the guy at work from Iraq and made a deal on the zx11. I still have it as my daily rider. I'd like a newer one, but really don't want to have to pay for it. I don't really want a dual sport. I tend to ride more agressively off road and my 1997 kx250 does just fine for that (besides, I LOVE the sound and feel of a two stroke!). I just feel better staying strictly on or strictly off road. I don't really have decades of experience riding experience, but I do feel that learning to ride a dirt bike helped me get my class m license in 2001. I think that it taught me how to control a bike better than if I'd learned on the street first. I was told that I was the first one to ever score 100% on my written test and during my riding test, I only had one bad mark. I could have stopped faster on my quick stop test.
234wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #27
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Another vote for the Triumph triples, there comfortable, confidence inspiring and pure sin on a twisty road.

I like my vtr because its torquey, comfortable and handles well.

My gs is a nice old retro beast thatll tour two up all day in comfort.

The xr is plated and a ablast pretty much anywhere!

- boingk
Old 09-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
Dirt rider since about 1968, although I had a couple of non-riding periods through my middle years. I was a KTM fan since before they were KTM's.

The adventure bike thing is like the culmination of all things riding. Dirt experience with road experience, and backpack gear makes for some really awesome trips.

I've had quite a few road bikes as well, and now own what I think are state of the art in two realms:

Dualsporting: 2011 Husqvarna TE630
Adventure Touring: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC

They are completely different, and both very high performance for the realm in which they were created. The Tiger is my 'road bike' and the husky is my 'dirt bike'. Niether does the other very well - the husky is pretty bad for any distance road, and the Tiger is way too heavy for any kind of really tough offroad terrain. Both are setup for camping off the bike.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #29
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
I've had both, dirt bikes and street, the last street bike being VFR750.
I was interested in Speed Triple, but could not find one to test, so I got the 990 adv. That was six years ago, and i've been happy with it. However, KTM now make 1190 adv, which now comes with 19/17 wheel sizes, the R model has 21/18 hoops. I test rode the R model, as due to the demand, dealers are out of the 1190adv. The R is high, I am 185cm, 6ft something, I could reach the ground without leaning the bike, but short arses are going to be in strife with this one.The new motor is something else, you hear it as soon as you start it up, this thing has grunt. For a giant chook chaser, 150 neddies is a lot, if you need that much, that's up to the individual, but fuuuuck it takes off, good torque too.
I gather they are not in US yet, but when it's possible, take one for a spin
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #30
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
I've had both, dirt bikes and street, the last street bike being VFR750.
I was interested in Speed Triple, but could not find one to test, so I got the 990 adv. That was six years ago, and i've been happy with it. However, KTM now make 1190 adv, which now comes with 19/17 wheel sizes, the R model has 21/18 hoops. I test rode the R model, as due to the demand, dealers are out of the 1190adv. The R is high, I am 185cm, 6ft something, I could reach the ground without leaning the bike, but short arses are going to be in strife with this one.The new motor is something else, you hear it as soon as you start it up, this thing has grunt. For a giant chook chaser, 150 neddies is a lot, if you need that much, that's up to the individual, but fuuuuck it takes off, good torque too.
I gather they are not in US yet, but when it's possible, take one for a spin
They new standard 1190's are landing here, they had some demos at the national KTM Rally earlier this month in Colorado. The 'R' is slated to arrive early next year.

So yeah, its a little early for them yet although a guy could put a deposit on one with his dealer.

Much as I love KTM's I'm not a big fan of their multi-cylinder bikes due to finicky maintenance. I'm guessing this new one is better, seems to have longer maintenance intervals.

But you're right, they're still big bikes to be trying to take offroad. No different than any of the giant ADV bikes though, like Tenere, GS, Stelvio, etc. For an advanced/expert offroader I'm sure they're gonna fill the bill. I also think there will be a lot of guys that think they want one and find out they bit off more than they can chew. Same deal happened with the SE - lots of them get turned over for sale.

The new water cooler GS beat out the 1190 in the adventure bike comparo in the Alps in Motorcyclist Online this month. It's said the 'LC' is the top dog. (liquid cooled)
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote