User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
elbigsam OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
back on 2, with a friend.

My klr has been sitting for about 4 years. Back in 2006 I bought it new, put 4k miles on it pretty quickly, went up and rode a trail at emma long moto park in austin tx. Way over my head, ended up crashing into a boulder, crushing the radiator. Left my bike at a buddies house, ins and registration lapsed. Rode it home on the patched radiator, bought a new one and installed it. New battery, fired right up, rode it around the block, back to sitting. 4 years later brings us to current day.

My buddy calls me up about taking the msf course, I told him I reccomend it highly. Couple weeks later he's in class, talkin to me about bikes. I steer him toward a drz400, versatile, highway capable, offroad worthy. He pulls the trigger on a used model from craigslist, he's in business.

I figure I better get my junk running at this point, I pull the carb and tank, its bad. I manage to get the carb apart without breaking anything, scrape the goo out, dip and reassemble. I wash the tank out with soapy water, let it sit full of soapy water a few days. End up getting it pretty clean after several flushes. Gasoline atf blend then gasoline flushes till it came out clear. Charged the battery for a day, fired right up. Changed the oil, lubed the cables and the chain.

My buddy with the drz lives in austin so I loaded the klr in the bed of my beater f250, puttered up on Friday night. We had beers and swung wrenches on the bikes a few hours, headed out to emma long in the morning. Oh boy. we took it easy, they have a little practice area adjacent to the parking lot. Spent about 3 hours going over basic skills. Great practice for me as well as first time experiance for him. Drilled throttle control, learning to use the controls while standing. Keeping steady throttle while going over small obstacles. Practiced going slow as possible using the brakes and feathering the clutch. I worked on using throttle to pop up the front, never been very comfortable with that.

We putted up the first part of one of the trails, just so my pal could see some of what it takes to navigate up there with a motorcycle. All in all it was a fun time, both of us got to put in work on building skills. I hopped on his bike for a few minutes at the end of the day, the clutch seemed to be hard to modulate, on or off, very small usable area of travel on the lever if that makes sense.

Anyone have ideas for more drills to work skills? I've been watching the youtube vids from dirtfanatic, very good stuff.
elbigsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,562
Skills

There are classes you can take, and books you can read:

Total Control
Book & class

Proficient Motorcycling
Book

Twist of the Wrist
Book, video, and class (California Superbike School)

If you're looking for drill-type stuff you can do on your own, there's this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788591

No substitute for saddle time, though!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,516
If these are both plated bikes, look on TwoWheelTexans for ride calls in the Dual Sport forum. There are plenty of rides around the Austin, San Antonio and Hill Country called on a fairly regular basis.

Riding hours of gravel roads will hone a lot of basic throttle, brake, and turning skills.

Check the off-road forum on that site for dirt-only opportunities besides Emma Long (aka City Park). Emma can be a real bitch on magnesium case covers. Most of that park is a good place to train for more trials-like obstacle riding because of the limestone ledges. Not something most would want to ride a KLR on.

Welcome back to two wheels!

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
elbigsam OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Nice, I had forgotten about 2 wheeled texans, ill check that out for sure. Emma long is nasty, however I find it nice to have it hang there as a challenge I can one day achieve.

Thanks for the replies, I liked the motogymkhana thread.
elbigsam is offline   Reply With Quote