Adventually

Oddometer: 410
One of these days

One of these days

That day happens to be tomorrow. Also is the title of a kickin Pink Floyd tune

Rough Plan:

Get across this, as fast as possible by vehicle

To experience this

I worked with Tony aka 'byways' to come up with a loop encompassing areas that I've been dreaming of.

Here is a more detailed look at my planned route.

Will be doing the route clockwise. Starting and ending in Boulder. (look next to Denver)

*If you don't feel like reading the RR, just skip over to post #69 and watch the video. It pretty much sums up everything in the report.

CaseyB screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 09:40 AM
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
Dirtmongrel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
WHAT..! a ride report and the only pic you have of your bike its in the back of a truck!!!

You're doing it all wrong. I wanna see trail-side camping, picturesque vistas, bike carnage, real wild animals (no dumb house cats)(no offense sis). And no more truck pics.

Good luck bro stay safe, wish I could have joined ya.
Dirtmongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
CaseyB OP
Adventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmongrel View Post
WHAT..! a ride report and the only pic you have of your bike its in the back of a truck!!!

You're doing it all wrong. I wanna see trail-side camping, picturesque vistas, bike carnage, real wild animals (no dumb house cats)(no offense sis). And no more truck pics.

Good luck bro stay safe, wish I could have joined ya.
Def. no more truck pics, I hope to not see it for at least a month. Cat pics, can't promise anything

Day 1 saw me going up flagstaff road out of boulder. Nice twisties with some occasional gravel. Just nice mountain roads.

I made my way over to Mount Evans

It was all pavement
I did not see any big horn sheep
& the road to the tippity top was closed, so I made it as far as summit lake.

Still well worth it and I very much enjoyed it.

[IMG][/IMG]

More when I get back. Maybe even the bike will make it into a pic.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
CaseyB OP
Adventually

Day 2

Went over a pass Rt. 40? (pavement) in Arapaho National Forest. I peaked out at 11k ft in elevation.

Most of the day afterwards was spent riding on Gravel roads, forestry/logging roads. I was also in Routt National Forest.

The change in elevation & weather really is awesome. I live at around 500' above sea level.

I have more pics and video but I'm pooped.

Tomorrow I plan to hit up Dinosaur National Monument and take my time getting there.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
Dirtmongrel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
That first pic is pretty cool looking.

The others look like the camera is listing to the left.., so much for wifi visual to make it all perfect just teasin

Even though I helped you prep your bike and have even done some camping with ya, I think a proper bike description and a few pics is required.

Hey have you turned your SPOT locator back on.., their site says your still at sis's house in Boulder.
...edit... oops just checked email, i did get update check-in/OK mesg.
........why cant I track you on SPOT? (following you like a track on a GPS) or are you only using a partial system?

Stay safe, ride smart

Dirtmongrel screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 03:37 AM
Dirtmongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Also is the title of a kickin Pink Floyd tune
Meddle is the Floyd album I still listen to the most.

Cool photos on your RR as well.
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
CaseyB OP
Adventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmongrel View Post
That first pic is pretty cool looking.

The others look like the camera is listing to the left.., so much for wifi visual to make it all perfect just teasin

Even though I helped you prep your bike and have even done some camping with ya, I think a proper bike description and a few pics is required.
I'll write something up

Here are some pics of my gear. Which is too much crap

Packed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantès View Post
Meddle is the Floyd album I still listen to the most.

Cool photos on your RR as well.
We should hang out then. The count of monte cristo is one of my all time favorite reads
Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
Mrs Dirt Mongrel
n00b

Oddometer: 5
So Proud!!

Hey Casey!! I can not believe you are actually doing this. I am so proud of you. Hey on that shot of your gear before you packed I saw a big bowl on the table and said to Dirt Mongrel, "Why the hell would he need to take a HUGE bowl with him." DUH, then I realized it must be a table decoration. I am reading this everyday so you better get to writing your reports consistently everyday or I will be pissed. LOL Hope things stay smooth and can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get back.

Mrs. Dirt Mongrel
Mrs Dirt Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
CaseyB OP
Adventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Dirt Mongrel View Post
Hey Casey!! I can not believe you are actually doing this. I am so proud of you. Hey on that shot of your gear before you packed I saw a big bowl on the table and said to Dirt Mongrel, "Why the hell would he need to take a HUGE bowl with him." DUH, then I realized it must be a table decoration. I am reading this everyday so you better get to writing your reports consistently everyday or I will be pissed. LOL Hope things stay smooth and can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get back.

Mrs. Dirt Mongrel

Thx Mrs dirt. I have some good stuff from yesterday. But I'm in the sweltering heat writing this. I'll get a write up very soon

Teaser pic

Edit: I changed my first post because it was bothering me. I forced myself to start the report because I don't think I would have done it after the trip. From here on out, no edits, it all stays.

CaseyB screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 12:44 PM
Old 09-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,050

This one's gonna be epic! You have the spirit of adventure, that's for sure.

But you probably won't need the fireplace ...

Be safe, my friend ... And keep this story comin'.

byways screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 02:59 PM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
osgsonestop
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Good talking with you tonight brother sounds like your having a blast now put some of those pictures up of were you have been and start telling some of the stories.
osgsonestop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
CaseyB OP
Adventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
But you probably won't need the fireplace
It sure feels like I took it, weight wise
Quote:
Originally Posted by osgsonestop View Post
Good talking with you tonight brother sounds like your having a blast now put some of those pictures up of were you have been and start telling some of the stories.
Thx Noob I can't believe you signed up. Awesome.

Alright, I'm trying something different. Copy and pasting from a basic text edit program.

Day 3

Would be a day of lightning strikes and smiles.

I was excited about the changing terrain. It was a progression: slab - graded roads - jeep trails - & everything in between besides single track.

*Note: No music, a bit of commentary, some adult language.

I had run out of water about 3 hours from my intended destination. But the views kept getting better and better

When I came to my last T in the road, it was either go left and find town, water, etc. or go right and see this Echo park place. Man am I happy I went right.

There was only two other campers on site. The guy camping next to the water tap came over and watched me pretty much drench myself inside and out with the slightly tainted water and we struck up a conversation.

As it turns out, he was an ex ranger medic who was riding a bicycle cross country in honor of the anniversary of Black Hawk Down. He is aiming for Ft. Benning Georgia by Oct. 3.

We sat up late into the night talking about life and all that other good stuff.

This day was a perfect example of why I wanted to do this trip. See awesome sights and meet interesting people.

Job completed for day 3

Day 4 was ok. I'm sure years ago Baxter pass was a nice scenic ride. Its now construction construction construction. They are installing some sort of piping network. Lots of dust, lots of Chevy pickups. Everyone had a chevy, where are the fords?

Off to Moab, where I will be staying for a few days. I have a date with the white rim trail on the 10th.

Can anyone suggest some good camping sites? I would like to do dispersed camping in a nice spot. I'm grabbing a room to dump all my stuff today so I can lighten up my load.

I want to see slick rock and finns and things. Which I'm now just remembering as I write this. I forgot my Moab trail Guidebook.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,050
You might head up Sand Flats Road. Lots of great sites there.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
osgsonestop
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I figured Id watch your trip until at least the 19th maybe if I get stuck over there you can stop and see me on your way home
osgsonestop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
CaseyB OP
Adventually

Been in Moab the last 3 days.

First day was around 100 degrees. I waited in my motel to get a room, had a few cups of coffee, caught up on some emails. Then decided, hell might of as well go do slick rock.

Great idea bad idea all rolled into one.

One really cool thing is that I met a fellow adv. rider on my way to get some maps at a local adventure outfit. Really good dude. Spent a bit of time with him and enjoyed hearing his stories. I'll talk more about that later.

I found 95% of the trail to be a ton of fun. I did the practice loop then the main loop.

One ledge was my nemesis though. It was at an angle, you pop your front tire on, lean forward and get your rear up. Well, it didn't work out that way. My rear slid out (similar to when you go over a log/tree on an angle and the rear kicks out), I fell and the bike started sliding towards a 3 ft. drop.

I grabbed the bike before the drop, but was then left with that freakin ledge once again.

Long story short, I wrestled the bike up it. Took a long break, guzzled water then realized that I had once again underestimated my water consumption in regards to how much I brought and how much my slightly overweight, smoker body needs.

By the time I made it to Shrimp Rock I was fully knackered (been waiting to use that word )

Put the kick stand down and went and sat in the shade of the rock. Looked in front of me and was amazed by the view. I was also amazed that I couldn't fully enjoy it, I actually was a tad bit worried. It was at that point that I retraced the day and realized that I never ate, just 3 cups of coffee. Really stupid of me.

I continued on and met two mountain bikers who where looking about as beat as myself. They gave me an apple and some water. I joked with them, "see motorcyclists and mountain bikers can get along." They were really good dudes.

So thats about it. Last two days it has been raining and i've been trying to wait it out. Unfortunately there is an even bigger storm heading this way

So its time to readjust my route and intended plans. At this point the white rim trail is out and so is Toroweap.

Maybe I'll come back later in the trip. All I know is I'm getting a bit stir crazy and just want to get out.

Heading west tomorrow towards Delta.

Video just finished uploading. Nothing that exciting. Second half of the ride was not recorded & that was some of the more challenging rock climbs (doing it counterclockwise), my concentration was on just getting out. Not recording in hi def.

CaseyB screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 09:09 PM