Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #16
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 366
Anything that distracts the driver is bad. would you like to see a picture of a patrol car with a subway sandwich on the floor board after they hit a pole! and lots more.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,600
Coming back from lunch, stuck at a stop sign behind a gal in a pickup.

There is some cross traffic and several breaks in it pass by that both she and I could have pulled into.

Finally, I beep the horn and she looks up, checks traffic and pulls out.

Now, we are both in the left turn lane at a light. I can see her with a bluetooth earset talking away while digging through something of interest on the seat beside her, and looking behind me, there is another gal with the phone on her ear.

Fuck. I'm surrounded.

I really think there are more people on the phone and driving than there are those just driving.

Maybe if I had any friends I'd be that way too. Lucky for me that is not the case and the world is a safer place.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
If I had a dollar for every time my wife has told me about deer I didn't see I'd have a lot of dollars. She has pointed out dozens of cops, too. Likewise I can tell her to hang on for a second while I accelerate hard and change lanes, or warn her about a big bump, or ask if she's falling asleep, or which way I need to turn to get someplace.

It's a huge safety enhancement while riding two up in my opinion.

When she's on her own bike I can point out slick or tricky spots she may not see, or give her a little advice when she's going into a water crossing, or a rocky stretch, down a steep hill, whatever. Down a rocky and steep short slope, she was getting scared and trying to use brakes awkwardly, "let it roll, you can slow down later." "Just slow down" is one I tell her quite often, she hasn't yet figued out when it's OK to let it rip and when it's not.
Sometimes I hear this "Aaaahh" which means she's fixing to scare herself on a tough spot, I just tell her to stop. It usually works.

Again, a huge safety enhancement.

tkent02 screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 11:47 AM
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Come to think of it, my Sena intercom may have saved me from another potential mishap yesterday. Riding on the last foot or two of asphalt, past the edge of a drop off where the road has crumbled away down a cliff, my passenger was getting a bit panicked and starting to squirm about as we approached. I was able to tell her to close her eyes, she relaxed, and we traversed the tricky section without incident.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
ThumperStorm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I never ride two up so it is really interesting to hear about all of your experiences. Intercoms don't seem to be a problem.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 667
I abhor the idea of bluetooth in my helmet for answering or talking on my cell phone while riding. I do have Ford's Sync system in my company car, and use it hands free while driving. However, I DO have to make extra efforts to be more aware of my driving while on the hands-free bluetooth phone in the car. My past company car was retro-fitted with a Motorola hands free bluetooth system.

However I will NOT use a bluetooth phone device on my bike. I just need the focus and freedom from a phone while riding.

But, in the past three years I've been doing a lot more two-up riding with my gal. We use a Scala Cardo Q2 system, and I can't say I've had any issues using it, and she has never said anything about a lack of riding awareness on my part while riding. I only use it in Full-Open mode, meaning it is on 100% of the time so there is no hands operation on the Scala at all while riding. Its actually nice to talk about the riding, while riding, and other things as well.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,377
Studys have shown that doing anything while driving/riding is bad.
I do not know how many exits I missed while driving because I was talking to my wife in the car.
New drivers are not allowed to have distracting passengers in NJ.

The only thing I can do is listen to the radio while driving, but I would not listen to anything while on the bike.
35 years of street riding without an accident.
About 25 years since a truck side swiped me on I95, and I drive all day in work....
No phone, no gps, I just drive.

The brain can only do ONE thing at a time. You can switch between things, but you can not do 2 things at once. So if you are doing something else with your mind, you are not driving/riding with it.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #23
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
I abhor the idea of bluetooth in my helmet for answering or talking on my cell phone while riding...
I ride to get away from my phone. It is in my pocket, but it is turned off unless it is needed by ME.

Quote:
I do have Ford's Sync system in my company car, and use it hands free while driving.
I'm not convinced hands-free devices are a solution or the lesser of two evils. I think cellphones should be electronically disabled inside a running car. Park it, turn it off, then talk all you want.

Quote:
But, in the past three years I've been doing a lot more two-up riding with my gal. We use a Scala Cardo Q2 system, and I can't say I've had any issues using it, and she has never said anything about a lack of riding awareness on my part while riding. I only use it in Full-Open mode, meaning it is on 100% of the time so there is no hands operation on the Scala at all while riding. Its actually nice to talk about the riding, while riding, and other things as well.
We've used the Scala Q2 for four years. Ours are VOX and they do the job. As noted, radios / intercoms are not the same as cellphones. They are part of the process, an enhancement and not a distraction. They also make it a lot more fun, IMHO the best upgrade there is for people riding together.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #24
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
To each his own. I love my music while I'm riding. Drives me crazy to not have it. But I always have music on in the background at work and at home too, so why should the car or the bike be any different? I find it no more distracting than any of the other things trying to steal your attention from the road, like billboards with half-naked women on them (or maybe that's just here in Vegas...)

I agree with all the comments about the intercom. Makes riding with my wife when she is on her bike a lot more enjoyable.

As far as the phone goes, I treat it the same way I do in the car: it depends on the circumstances. Sometimes I answer, sometimes I don't. Often I find out if the call is important, and if not, just tell 'em I'll call 'em back. I think a lot of people let their phone control them, not the other way around. When my phone rings, I don't feel I HAVE TO answer it. It's my choice.

In any case, I can't imagine not having the Sena. I feel it adds a lot to my riding experience, rather than taking anything away.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Using intercoms/ phones comes down to being a matter of discipline. Conversation while riding has to be limited to warning others about hazards, letting the group know about unplanned stops (Hey look, there's a brewery up ahead. Let's stop early and have a visit.), and the recitation of poetry at the appropriate "wow!" moments along the trip (http://www.poetandpoem.com/15077_poe...Mountains.html)

k-moe screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 05:03 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #26
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Come to think of it, my Sena intercom may have saved me from another potential mishap yesterday. Riding on the last foot or two of asphalt, past the edge of a drop off where the road has crumbled away down a cliff, my passenger was getting a bit panicked and starting to squirm about as we approached. I was able to tell her to close her eyes, she relaxed, and we traversed the tricky section without incident.
That ain't good there.
Where is that?

Anyway, I for one cannot talk on a cell phone and drive safely. No problem talking to a passenger but no cell phone and driving for me.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #27
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
Anything that distracts the driver is bad.
While that may be true, a better question might be, "Is it reasonable." While driving, is it reasonable to listen to the radio, to change stations, to pet your dog, deal with your kids, to talk on the phone, to read a billboard, to look at a map? The answer all these questions is, "It depends on the conditions."

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
Would you like to see a picture of a patrol car with a subway sandwich on the floor board after they hit a pole! and lots more.
yes
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #28
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,377
All this is useless unless everyone says (honestly) how much they drive/ride, for how long accident free.
People here have crashed fooling with the gps, and most likely still use it.
Some people crash while talking on the phone or texting, and still do it.
Everyone thinks its bad. For other people to do it. Everyone is sure they can do it ok, even after the 2nd crash, the problem is with the other people.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #29
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
All this is useless unless everyone says (honestly) how much they drive/ride, for how long accident free.
People here have crashed fooling with the gps, and most likely still use it.
Some people crash while talking on the phone or texting, and still do it.
Everyone thinks its bad. For other people to do it. Everyone is sure they can do it ok, even after the 2nd crash, the problem is with the other people.
Never been cited or found by an insurance company to be at fault for an accident. I have had a few accidents that I consider to be my fault, they just never resulted in damage or injury. The last time was in about 1996-98. I drive or ride about 20,000 mi per year.
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #30
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
That ain't good there.
Where is that?

Anyway, I for one cannot talk on a cell phone and drive safely. No problem talking to a passenger but no cell phone and driving for me.
Red Bluff Mississippi. The road has been closed and bypassed for some time but motorcycles fit so easily between the bollards
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote