Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #31
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 667
Oh, I'm not saying a hands-free/bluetooth cell phone in the car is any better really than holding a phone to your ear. It does free up your hands, and your head/eyes for more normal actions during driving.

I work in sales/field engineering for a very large hydraulics/motion control company. Our company cars are required to have hands-free bluetooth systems for the driver. But also, the company strongly urges drivers to pull over when in a discussion on the phone. Granted, that just saves the companies ass/liability to some degree. But it does emphasize that the bluetooth system itself does not make for a safer driving environment.

But bluetooth/cell phone on a cycle, even if the system is Voice activated and in your helmet, to me is simply assinine. Save the phone for when you are off the bike. Why spoil any cycle ride with a freakin phone call!?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #32
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
Oh, I'm not saying a hands-free/bluetooth cell phone in the car is any better really than holding a phone to your ear. It does free up your hands, and your head/eyes for more normal actions during driving.

I work in sales/field engineering for a very large hydraulics/motion control company. Our company cars are required to have hands-free bluetooth systems for the driver. But also, the company strongly urges drivers to pull over when in a discussion on the phone. Granted, that just saves the companies ass/liability to some degree. But it does emphasize that the bluetooth system itself does not make for a safer driving environment.

But bluetooth/cell phone on a cycle, even if the system is Voice activated and in your helmet, to me is simply assinine. Save the phone for when you are off the bike. Why spoil any cycle ride with a freakin phone call!?
"Assinine"? So YOU don't think it's safe, and YOU think it's unnecessary, so the rest of us are "foolish, unintelligent, silly, stupid" to use one definition.

So this goes from a difference of opinion to a character flaw. Nice.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #33
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
"Assinine"? So YOU don't think it's safe, and YOU think it's unnecessary, so the rest of us are "foolish, unintelligent, silly, stupid" to use one definition.

So this goes from a difference of opinion to a character flaw. Nice.
Unintelligent or stupid - no! Foolish or silly - perhaps! I KNOW using the phone or keying information into my GPS, or talking to a passenger can detract from my ability to focus on riding/driving but I do it anyway. Many people do it to excess or at inappropriate times, probably not realizing how badly they drive as a result.

Wanting to be phone-connected on the bike is a personal choice. I have found it useful on a couple of long rides but mostly it is assinine - detracting from some of the most enjoyable aspects of being on two wheels in the first place.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #34
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Unintelligent or stupid - no! Foolish or silly - perhaps! I KNOW using the phone or keying information into my GPS, or talking to a passenger can detract from my ability to focus on riding/driving but I do it anyway. Many people do it to excess or at inappropriate times, probably not realizing how badly they drive as a result.

Wanting to be phone-connected on the bike is a personal choice. I have found it useful on a couple of long rides but mostly it is assinine - detracting from some of the most enjoyable aspects of being on two wheels in the first place.
"Assanine" is far too strong a word for a simple, silly decision over whether to listen to music or not while riding. Unless you really believe that everyone has to make the same choices as you do or they are wrong. Which I could understand if we were discussing genocide or something...

It goes with the territory being in an internet forum I suppose, I should be used to it by now. But it does drive me crazy.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #35
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
"Assanine" is far too strong a word for a simple, silly decision over whether to listen to music or not while riding. Unless you really believe that everyone has to make the same choices as you do or they are wrong. Which I could understand if we were discussing genocide or something...

It goes with the territory being in an internet forum I suppose, I should be used to it by now. But it does drive me crazy.
Nope - I was meaning that one of the pleasures that I and many others get from riding is that it allows you to focus on one thing and one thing only, free from distractions. If you feel like that, then deliberately introducing a phone connection into your helmet could well be considered asinine (stupid or silly)
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #36
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Thank you!

My "assinine" comment had nothing to do, said NOTHING about listening to music, or using a headset communicator system, like Scala, or Boehr, or Autocom. I never said anyone was assinine for using these devices. Read my words, it was about the cell phone and its intrusion into something as special and unique as our cycle riding.

My assinine comment is solely about having a Bluetooth system to answer the freakin cell phone when riding. Ok, assinine may be too strong, foolish, dumb, unneccessary may have been better. I'm getting old so I'm getting more opinionated. No, I take that back, this whole PC attitude has gotta stop. Assinine fits.

To me, riding is nearly a sacred, wonderfully narcissistic event that is in large part best done as the riding itself. Music and conversation with someone else involved in the ride is a benefit, an enhancement. Answering the cell phone, is NOT. To me using the cell phone while riding, even via Bluetooth its just as dumb and rude as talking on the cell phone in a public bathroom, sittin on the throne or standing at a pisser. Some things in life just don't need to be combined.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #37
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you!

My "assinine" comment had nothing to do, said NOTHING about listening to music, or using a headset communicator system, like Scala, or Boehr, or Autocom. I never said anyone was assinine for using these devices. Read my words, it was about the cell phone and its intrusion into something as special and unique as our cycle riding.

My assinine comment is solely about having a Bluetooth system to answer the freakin cell phone when riding. Ok, assinine may be too strong, foolish, dumb, unneccessary may have been better. I'm getting old so I'm getting more opinionated. No, I take that back, this whole PC attitude has gotta stop. Assinine fits.

To me, riding is nearly a sacred, wonderfully narcissistic event that is in large part best done as the riding itself. Music and conversation with someone else involved in the ride is a benefit, an enhancement. Answering the cell phone, is NOT. To me using the cell phone while riding, even via Bluetooth its just as dumb and rude as talking on the cell phone in a public bathroom, sittin on the throne or standing at a pisser. Some things in life just don't need to be combined.
How does someone else answering their phone inside their helmet in any way detract from your ride? Does it bother you, where ever you live, when I answer my phone in my helmet here in Vegas?

So how does dumb, foolish or unnecessary apply to a decision that has no effect on you? It's like saying someone who buys a cheaper helmet than I do is assinine. What ever level of safety I believe is the correct level is the right answer and everyone else is a dumb ass for making a different choice. Right?

Look, I'm all for expressing opinions. And I enjoy hearing why people make the choices they make, or I wouldn't be here on an internet forum. It's this "you are clearly an idiot if you don't share my opinion" thing that sucks all the fun out of it.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #38
Balootraveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
I think it depends on the operator of the cell,can they drive ride and talk hands free? I know several people who can not talk with out using their hands, they should not even drive and talk to others In the car
Old 09-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #39
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

[/QUOTE] It's this "you are clearly an idiot if you don't share my opinion" thing that sucks all the fun out of it.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm missing something, but where do you get me saying "you are clearly an idiot if you don't share my opinion" from my comments? I'm just expressing my opinion, like you say, that I feel cell phones on cycles are simply not needed. I'm not saying, you, or anyone else is an idiot for doing it.

I just don't understand the need to spoil something as good as riding with something as unecessary as answering a cell phone. That's all. Someone else talking on their cell phone while riding doesn't detract from MY ride, I never said it did.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #40
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Talking

I found these new smart phones particularly dangerous while driving, especially making a call, or answering one. Now I just pull over to make or answer a call, after nearly running off the road couple of times.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #41
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Like just said, riding itself requires a much higher level of involvement than does driving a car. I'll admit too, that I have to limit my cell phone activity in my car or pickup just because it detracts so much from my driving. It was somewhat easier when I had a Blackberry with a keypad, because after a while I could operate it without looking at it. But now I have a Samsung Smart phone, no tactile keypad in it, and I can't manipulate it and still accurately drive.

So it DOES detract from my focus of driving. To involve a cell phone while riding, even handsfree or Bluetooth just takes too much focus away from the critical task of riding. That is why I feel so strong about it.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #42
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but where do you get me saying "you are clearly an idiot if you don't share my opinion" from my comments? I'm just expressing my opinion, like you say, that I feel cell phones on cycles are simply not needed. I'm not saying, you, or anyone else is an idiot for doing it.

I just don't understand the need to spoil something as good as riding with something as unecessary as answering a cell phone. That's all. Someone else talking on their cell phone while riding doesn't detract from MY ride, I never said it did.
You said it's asinine. The definition of which is: "extremely stupid or foolish".

You have a strong opinion, which is totally fine. I disagree with it, but I'm not going to call you stupid for having a different opinion than me.

Not everyone should listen to music or answer the phone when they ride. For that matter, not everyone should ride. I put about 10K miles a year on my bike, mostly commuting in city and highway traffic. I've listened to music for many years and have had bluetooth for the last three. I don't consider my decision to do that asinine.

If I came on here and said, yeah I usually have a couple of beers after work and ride home, I would expect to be told I'm making a stupid decision or be called asinine. That judgement would be more fitting.

You probably didn't mean to come across as super judgmental, maybe you just chose too harsh a word. I should have just let it slide, I really didn't mean to hijack this thread with my pet peeve. For that I apologize. I just went through this same type of thing on a gun forum over having a manual safety on a pistol, so I was feeling testy.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #43
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
You said it's asinine. The definition of which is: "extremely stupid or foolish".

You have a strong opinion, which is totally fine. I disagree with it, but I'm not going to call you stupid for having a different opinion than me.
When I read it I just took it to mean he felt it would be asinine for him to do. Never extrapolated that to be a judgement of anyone else.

To infer that he would have needed to write something like, "I think that other people who talk on cell phones while riding are asinine."

There is no doubt as to the act adding to the risk factor to some degree. Whether any particular person is comfortable with that is entirely up to them.

I'll only attach the phone to the intercom if there is an important call I am expecting and simply cannot miss. This has happened maybe twice in the past 2.5 years, and never would I take a call in an urban traffic environment. But that is me, and isn't meant as a judgement of others.

I'm glad to have the option when it is useful. Otherwise, there will be a beep, the caller knows what to do when they hear it.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #44
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Chiming in with my irrelevant two cents.

I *never* use the cell phone with my Sena. Too distracting.

I *do* use the Sena riding two-up. Beats hand signals for safety, and as noted elsewhere, both rider and passenger are aware of conditions, i.e. unlike someone on the other end of a cell phone, we both shut up when it's obvious we need to shut up. Plus a warning shout in my ear is far less open to confusion than a shove on my shoulder.

I *do* use the Sena for music... but never in the city, never during traffic. I don't find music all that distracting, the opposite in fact when I'm "in the groove" on a good road or eating miles on a slab. But it's still distracting enough when I'm faced with dozens of cars around me during rush hour, so I pick my places when I turn on the iPod.

YMMV, ride safe, guys and gals...
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #45
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,600
Another aspect of the Sena that I found entertaining when riding long miles of rural roads was having audio books, rather than music. Even with fourteen hours of music stored it can get repetitive after several days riding.

As mentioned, I too would pause the audio when entering areas on the route for the day that I knew would require more attention.

Between the music and audio books, I found it made a night and day difference in my enjoyment on long days compared to riding without. (~4000 miles over ten or twelve days)

Fortunately, I'm the type of person who doesn't get so into music or audio input in general that I can't switch it off in my brain when my attention is needed elsewhere. I've seen drivers who do seem to prioritize their enjoyment of music above the demands of driving, and if a rider knows they are prone to do this it might not be as good a solution for them as it was for me.

Having lived in a time when the phone was only a device on a cord at the house, and there was no voice mail, it is easy for me to disconnect from the phone knowing that I can check for messages when I stop for fuel. I think that many who have grown up "connected" have difficulty with doing this. I appreciate the added safety and convenience cell phones offer for travelers, yet, I have never felt obligated to answer a call or text the moment it arrives.

Sorry, caller or texter, you'll have to wait for a response from me as I'm purposefully riding right now to get away from all that.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote