ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #46
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
You said it's asinine. The definition of which is: "extremely stupid or foolish".
That is because it is extremely stupid and foolish as well as some type of twisted compulsive disorder to feel the need to answer the phone every moment of every day.

If you believe that you are not distracted by it while riding then you are also delusional.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib

DAKEZ screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 06:54 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #47
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Tool Shed
Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That is because it is extremely stupid and foolish as well as some type of twisted compulsive disorder to feel the need to answer the phone every moment of every day.

If you believe that you are not distracted by it while riding then you are also dilutional.
And possibly delusional as well.
__________________

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #48
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That is because it is extremely stupid and foolish as well as some type of twisted compulsive disorder to feel the need to answer the phone every moment of every day.

If you believe that you are not distracted by it while riding then you are also dilutional.
It's even more assinine to have the phone connected when you also KNOW you don't want to be answering it while riding - that's where I stepped in to the debate. I connected the phone to have access to music and while I have very occasionally made a call while droning down some straight road in the middle of nowhere, I basically don't want to be bothered with phone calls while riding.
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #49
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That is because it is extremely stupid and foolish as well as some type of twisted compulsive disorder to feel the need to answer the phone every moment of every day.

If you believe that you are not distracted by it while riding then you are also dilutional.
Nice troll.
__________________
Ride to Coffee
Coffee to Ride
CafeRacer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #50
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 372
So those that are arguing this point fall into one of two groups.

Those who ride to escape from distractions, and think anyone who doesn't is an idiot.

Those for whom riding in traffic is apparently so close to the edge of their abilities that even listening to music might put them in the ditch, and answering a cell phone is beyond contemplation. And anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

It's a good thing this isn't one of those "biker" forums where everyone has to think exactly the same way.
__________________
Ride to Coffee
Coffee to Ride
CafeRacer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #51
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Tool Shed
Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
So those that are arguing this point fall into one of two groups.

Those who ride to escape from distractions, and think anyone who doesn't is an idiot.

Those for whom riding in traffic is apparently so close to the edge of their abilities that even listening to music might put them in the ditch, and answering a cell phone is beyond contemplation. And anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

It's a good thing this isn't one of those "biker" forums where everyone has to think exactly the same way.
Don't forget the third group. the thin-skinned posters who take the opinions of others personally and feel the need to lash out with bold generalizations in a futile attempt to defend their choices in a public forum.
__________________

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #52
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Don't forget the third group. the thin-skinned posters who take the opinions of others personally and feel the need to lash out with bold generalizations in a futile attempt to defend their choices in a public forum.
I already copped to the "thin skinned" thing in an earlier post. And I don't think my asking why I'm "asinine" to choose to use a bluetooth is exactly "lashing out".

But I'm still waiting to hear how my choice to talk on the phone affects anyone else and is "asinine", or why that choice even needs to be defended.
__________________
Ride to Coffee
Coffee to Ride
CafeRacer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #53
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Tool Shed
Oddometer: 1,517
This is the quote in question, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
But bluetooth/cell phone on a cycle, even if the system is Voice activated and in your helmet, to me is simply assinine. Save the phone for when you are off the bike. Why spoil any cycle ride with a freakin phone call!?
The key words are bolded for effect. He's not talking about anyone but himself. It is an opinion. What's the fuss about?

Are you trying to argue whether or not he thinks it is assinine for him to do this?

Your choice to talk on the phone only affects someone else if it causes a problem while driving that affects someone else. If it works for you, great. There's no need to try and convince another who feels this isn't in their own best interest to do this themselves.
__________________

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #54
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen
 
Andyvh1959's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Da frozen tundra, 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
Oddometer: 567
Gads! It goes on!

How else can I put it other than saying, "the IDEA of BLUETOOTH CELL PHONE USE in a motorcycle helmet, while riding, TO ME, is assinine." Always will be, not backing away from that.

I never said anyone is assinine for using Bluetooth devices on their motorcycles. Obviously, I have no future in politics.
__________________
When life throws you a curve,.....lean into it!
42+ year rider, 22+ year MSF Coach, Street, Dirt, Ice, ride em all!
Andyvh1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #55
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
This is the quote in question, right?



The key words are bolded for effect. He's not talking about anyone but himself. It is an opinion. What's the fuss about?

Are you trying to argue whether or not he thinks it is assinine for him to do this?

Your choice to talk on the phone only affects someone else if it causes a problem while driving that affects someone else. If it works for you, great. There's no need to try and convince another who feels this isn't in their own best interest to do this themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
Gads! It goes on!

How else can I put it other than saying, "the IDEA of BLUETOOTH CELL PHONE USE in a motorcycle helmet, while riding, TO ME, is assinine." Always will be, not backing away from that.

I never said anyone is assinine for using Bluetooth devices on their motorcycles. Obviously, I have no future in politics.
Politics isn't your problem, writing is. Your sentence indeed does mean that, in your opinion (which is what "to me" implies), bluetooth cell phone use is asinine. Which is calling all of us who use our phones while riding stupid and foolish.

If what you meant was "bluetooth cell phone use BY ME is asinine" then that has the meaning you seem to be saying you really meant. I can only read what people write, not what they should have written because they really meant something else.
__________________
Ride to Coffee
Coffee to Ride
CafeRacer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #56
ThumperStorm OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
ThumperStorm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: St. Cloud, Minnesota
Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
Politics isn't your problem, writing is. Your sentence indeed does mean that, in your opinion (which is what "to me" implies), bluetooth cell phone use is asinine. Which is calling all of us who use our phones while riding stupid and foolish.

If what you meant was "bluetooth cell phone use BY ME is asinine" then that has the meaning you seem to be saying you really meant. I can only read what people write, not what they should have written because they really meant something else.
You started out having something legit to say about this but now you are just becoming a troll, looking for the slightest little thing to bitch about.

You made your point, and stuck up for what you think. Good for you. Isn't that enough?
__________________
"Maybe you ain't in a rut, maybe you're in a ditch, way over your head." Don Marshall
ThumperStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #57
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
You started out having something legit to say about this but now you are just becoming a troll, looking for the slightest little thing to bitch about.

You made your point, and stuck up for what you think. Good for you. Isn't that enough?
Apparently it's not enough. He's being a dick. Several people explained what they meant, quite clearly, but he's determined to be pedantic and all butt-hurt about it. This thread was effectively over after the first few posts.
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #58
ThumperStorm OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
ThumperStorm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: St. Cloud, Minnesota
Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Apparently it's not enough. He's being a dick. Several people explained what they meant, quite clearly, but he's determined to be pedantic and all butt-hurt about it. This thread was effectively over after the first few posts.
Well, you are not letting it go either. You did your part in the direction this thread went.

This thread was for opinions and friendly discussion. This isn't Jo Mamma.
__________________
"Maybe you ain't in a rut, maybe you're in a ditch, way over your head." Don Marshall
ThumperStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #59
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,736
Did you get your original question answered to your satisfaction before we went off on a debate about what one word means and to whom?
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #60
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,120
I do not mind anyone texting, using their phone or gps while riding, or playing with any other gizmo on their bike.
They are unlikely to kill anyone but themselves, so that is fine with me.

People in 4000 pound cars are different!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014