Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
yeoman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Should cell phone stay on the rider in case of a wreck?

I ride with my cell phone on my handlebar mount. Im usually listening to tunes. I recently heard of a rider who was thrown from his bike. He was able to call 911 while lying in a ditch. In my case, I wouldnt necessarily be near my bike or phone. Do you guys think about scenarios like this? Am I overly thinking this?
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,636
I use an armored cell phone that is in my jacket pocket. Hopefully it will survive the wreck and not break too many ribs. I want to have it where I can get it. Before cell phones when I was young and stupid I was riding alone in the strip pits and crashed. I was tangled very well in multifloral rose. I would have been happy to have been rescued, I bet I lost a unit of blood getting out of that mess. And I was wearing 80's ATGATT, leather roper gloves, boots, newish jeans, and leather jacket. All with about a 1000 holes after that. The had a whole new appreciation of the American Indian torture death by 1000 cuts.

Cell On my person all the time COMPATT
Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 733
My phone stays in my breast pocket 100% of the time. If I am going on a short trip, I leave it on. If on a long trip, I leave it powered off to save battery.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
MT Wallet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I keep my armored up droid in my shirt pocket. If I had a serious get off I don't know that I'd stay collected enough to remember it was there. Duh.
MT Wallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,668
You know, I do think about this because I read (somewhere) an EMT's opinion on the matter.

The feeling was that with most people now programming an "ICE" number into their phone it makes it so much easier to use if it's not smashed on the road or in the ditch,etc.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I ride lots of places alone with zero cell coverage. After a 35-40 mph low side get off in the middle of no where and my bike ending up 100 feet or more away from me I now try to keep this in my jacket when in such areas. At the very least it's in my tank bag and hopefully I could at crawl to my bike:

www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
D R
----

Oddometer: 473
My wife and I just last month purchased a Scala Rider G9 Powerset. You can synch the headsets to your cell phone via bluetooth. If your phone is capable of voice commands, you can use the headset to place a call via voice. Of course all this assumes both the cell phone and/or helmet mounted headset survive the crash intact and remain functional.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I keep my cell phone in my jacket pocket. I did do a trip recently where a lot of the time I didn't have coverage. Now I'm thinking of getting a spot. That will also will be with my jacket.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
(snip) In my case, I wouldnt necessarily be near my bike or phone. Do you guys think about scenarios like this? Am I overly thinking this?
You're not overly thinking it, and yes I do think about, and prepare for, a scenario like that.

I put my iphone in a Lifeproof case and keep my phone in my jacket pocket, lower pocket cause my jacket has no chest pocket. When pocketing my phone, the lcd screen is inward facing my body, while the back of the phone is facing outward.

That way, if the phone is impacted or hit by something, like rock or handlebar or anything, it won't be the lcd screen that takes the blow and render the phone useless ... it will be the back of the phone that take the hit and hopefully the phone will still work after such impact.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #10
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
cel on me, and the cell is in a thick freezer`s ziplock, even in a sunny day. you have much chances to end up in ditches which are often wet.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #11
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
You know, I do think about this because I read (somewhere) an EMT's opinion on the matter.

The feeling was that with most people now programming an "ICE" number into their phone it makes it so much easier to use if it's not smashed on the road or in the ditch,etc.
Most people I know have their phones locked. Which means EMT wont be getting into the phone to see ANY numbers much less an ICE number... Much better to have a card in your wallet with ICE info on it.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #12
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
i think yes. its on me for sure
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Most people I know have their phones locked. Which means EMT wont be getting into the phone to see ANY numbers much less an ICE number... Much better to have a card in your wallet with ICE info on it.
FYI - when I worked EMS, our main priority was taking care of the patient not notifying family, we let the police do that. No idea how it works now, that was a few years back and I was just a lowly driver so I did what I was told to do.

Also, even though my Samsung s4 is locked, there's a spot on the bottom of the lock screen that says " emergency" - from this menu you can dial 911 or click an icon that looks like a silhouette of a person and a "gumball" emergency light. This pulls up the emergency contacts that I designate from my contact list.

If your phone doesn't have that option, I would recommend writing your emergency contact on a sheet of paper, take a picture, and set it as your lock screen background. That way even if they can't access your contacts they can still reach someone. Also works if you lose your phone and someone needs to find you to return it.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,345
Gut pocket, not breast pocket. I don't like the idea of having a phone searching for service on top of my man boob.

But no way I'll leave it on the bike.. because how often do you stay with the bike in the accident? Its either you or the bike bouncing and sliding down the road.. or the cliff.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,917
Yes. I keep my iPhone with Otterbox armor in my jacket pocket, programmed with ICE (emergency contact that paramedics are trained to look for in your contacts list).

It would also be handy in the event of a breakdown or something that would leave you stranded. "Honey, can you bring the truck and motorcycle ramp?"

I'm not big on mounting any electronic devices on the bike, as they become a distraction.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote