User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
My cell phone usually stays at home

My cell phone usually stays on top of the fridge at home. I only got it because my apartment doesn't have a telephone line. My computer is a desktop, also connected via the mobile network.

Going out is going off line, which is fine by me.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,598
Samsung Rugby, waterproof, shock resistant, carried in jacket pocket at waist.

It is something I depend on being within reach should I need it. It can be paired with my Sena Bluetooth intercom if I am unable to get the helmet off.

Signal availability is the Achilles heel of this strategy, but that is rarely a problem in the riskier urban environment.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
It can be paired with my Sena Bluetooth intercom if I am unable to get the helmet off.
Never thought about that. I guess I'm going to have to read the instructions...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
canadian chris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Most people I know have their phones locked. Which means EMT wont be getting into the phone to see ANY numbers much less an ICE number... Much better to have a card in your wallet with ICE info on it.

the 'locked' screen on my blackberry can show a custom message and that's where I put my ICE's name & contact number. That way whoever picks up the phone doesn't have to get it unlocked to start the notification process.

I also keep a laminated, bilingual (english & spanish) ICE card in my wallet for travel in the US and Mexico
canadian chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Never thought about that. I guess I'm going to have to read the instructions...
I sometimes pair the phone as a music source when the playlist saved on the Zumo (also BT paired) is getting stale.

Loves that Sena intercom with the Zumo, they have added another dimension to exploring back roads for me.

As a general practice the phone is sleeping peacefully in the jacket pocket.

Now I gotta see if I can put ICE info on the lock screen. That's a great idea!

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:53 AM   #21
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,289
Don't carry anything on your person that you are not prepared to have removed from your body at a later date.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #22
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
I was in a bad crash in April and was able to get my phone from my pocket and dial 911. Only problem was hearing it through my helmet. Doh!
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #23
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
I was in a bad crash in April and was able to get my phone from my pocket and dial 911. Only problem was hearing it through my helmet. Doh!
No need to carry on a conversation, dial 911 wait a few seconds for them to answer and just start talking; explain the nature of the incident and your location. Explain that you can not hear them clearly due to wearing a helmet. They will get the right help to you.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #24
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
I'm a believer of carrying basic live saving gear where you can access it in an emergency.

http://youtu.be/SfGkN3wPSEo
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #25
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
FYI - when I worked EMS, our main priority was taking care of the patient not notifying family, we let the police do that. No idea how it works now, that was a few years back and I was just a lowly driver so I did what I was told to do.

Also, even though my Samsung s4 is locked, there's a spot on the bottom of the lock screen that says " emergency" - from this menu you can dial 911 or click an icon that looks like a silhouette of a person and a "gumball" emergency light. This pulls up the emergency contacts that I designate from my contact list.

If your phone doesn't have that option, I would recommend writing your emergency contact on a sheet of paper, take a picture, and set it as your lock screen background. That way even if they can't access your contacts they can still reach someone. Also works if you lose your phone and someone needs to find you to return it.
I have my ICE info in one of these attached to the side of my helmet for dirt riding:

I also have one of these for street riding:
http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #26
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
2 phones.
My smart phone stays in a tank bag or tail bag, usually left on.
I have a cheapo tracfone with Verizon service that I keep turned off but on me in a jacket pocket.
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #27
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

How many leave things like GPS, WiFi, BT, etc. on all the time?

I noticed that the ICE apps for Android will send a text with GPS coordinates.

On my phone I leave all those things off to conserve battery, then turn them on only when being used. Could turn on GPS before pressing the button on the ICE app I guess.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #28
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
I keep my phone on me. It is a rugged phone (water & impact resistant) not a smart phone. I leave it on so that if I am messed up and perhaps not conscious for much longer, waiting for it to power it up and find service are NOT things I have to deal with.

Of course if there's no service or you are totally incapacitated, that's not going to help.

But I'm not afraid of falling on the phone, so the fuck what, a bruise or even a broken rib from landing on it are not life threatening. But if I can't call for help because due to my injuries I can't climb down into the ravine that the bike that went down with the phone on it, that could be.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #29
tallpaul63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Another facet

I work as a paramedic in an urban environment. One thing that wer'e seeing more frequently is people who are dealing with the aftermath of an accident, and can't put the phone down to deal with the real time tasks. We have scenes where we have police, fire, ambulance and tow units on scene, but we can't get the drivers attention because they're busy calling husbands and wives and third cousins. Some of our more assertive officers have learned to insist that people hang the damned phone up. I just see it as another manifestation of our compulsion to communicate at every moment.

Don't get me wrong. You should have a phone on your person. Just know that the responders are going to need to talk with you to get shit done, and tweeting can wait!
tallpaul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #30
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul63 View Post
I work as a paramedic in an urban environment. One thing that wer'e seeing more frequently is people who are dealing with the aftermath of an accident, and can't put the phone down to deal with the real time tasks. We have scenes where we have police, fire, ambulance and tow units on scene, but we can't get the drivers attention because they're busy calling husbands and wives and third cousins. Some of our more assertive officers have learned to insist that people hang the damned phone up. I just see it as another manifestation of our compulsion to communicate at every moment.

Don't get me wrong. You should have a phone on your person. Just know that the responders are going to need to talk with you to get shit done, and tweeting can wait!

I'm not a paramedic or even any sort of emergency person, but I have witnessed this first hand. The person was more worried about the phone than getting the very much needed medical attention.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote