User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #31
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
http://wvowradio.com/Article.asp?id=2695967&spid=37834

I always keep mine on. But most places I ride don't have signal. I also ride solo 99% of the time.
wvtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #32
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Yes. I keep my iPhone with Otterbox armor in my jacket pocket, programmed with ICE (emergency contact that paramedics are trained to look for in your contacts list).

I'd like to comment on this one. Since I R A Paramedic, and have spent quite a few years training them also.

We are NOT trained to look into your phone, wallet, breifcase, computer, or tablet. Please stop thinking theis is true. Individual policies may direct it, but you will probably be long gone. Emergency crews don't waste YOUR valuable time with such. Police, investigators and such will do all that.

We DO look fo medical alert necklaces, and bracelets. That's it. No thumb drive, fancy patches (in fact they may be cut in half before it is realized what they are), or other things folks sell you as emergency I.D. gimmicks.

Keeping the phone on you is probably best. It stays with you instead of the bike and will probably take less of a beating in a crash if with you. Nothing is perfect and I hope you never have to find out if you nmade the right choices.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #33
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 749
Yup. Keep that phone on your person. I was able to call 911 for help 3 weeks ago after hitting a suicidal deer. It was fully charged when I left the house. Also, the compass app on your iPhone gives your exact GPS position. I was able to use that to lead them right to me. I still had to wait 30 mins for them to get to me, 4 fractured ribs, fractured collar bone, and scapula. Oh, and my Sena headset? Totally ripped off the helmet and gone. Never found it. Without my cell phone, I'd have been in a world of hurt, for a lot longer.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #34
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
My cell phone usually stays on top of the fridge at home. I only got it because my apartment doesn't have a telephone line. My computer is a desktop, also connected via the mobile network.

Going out is going off line, which is fine by me.
I don't even own a cell phone and never plan to, I've managed 60 years without one
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,108
Phone usually in my jacket or pant pocket, but since cell service can be spotty in rural Oregon, my Spot is always double zip tied to my backpack and easily accessible from the front.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #36
GordoS
Pawn in game of life

Oddometer: 117
Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
I would recommend writing your emergency contact on a sheet of paper, take a picture, and set it as your lock screen background
Cool idea.

For longer urban rides, the phone is usually in a waterproof pouch with an extended battery in the jacket. That said, when I am heading up into the hills to ride trails on my KTM or the roads on my GS I keep my SPOT physically on me, usually strapped to either a Camelbak or my off road vest. It is usually set in the tracking mode, so even if I end up unconscious in a ditch someplace, they can find the body. I used to keep it on a RAM mount on the bike, but experience has taught me that the bike (including my mountain bike) and I can end up in separate places when gravity strikes...
Old 09-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #37
sgtpaco
HoosierDaddy?

Oddometer: 84
What I use for bicycling and motorcycling.

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx
sgtpaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #38
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpaco View Post
What I use for bicycling and motorcycling.

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx
I have one also, it is a minor comfort to know that if I am completely out of it somebody at the hospital will be able to track down my wife and let her know where I am. They will also have access to my pertinent medical history and medications....
Navy Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #39
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Something else to consider with a cell phone is a crash app. One that will send a signal with your GPS coordinates to a designated recipient if a hard jolt (crash) is detected and not canceled by you within a pre-set amount of time.

Doesn't do any good if there is absolutely zero cell signal, but being a text message, it will manage to get through eventually if there is even a faint and spotty signal.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #40
Colorado Col Rider
Wee Stromming Now

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Something else to consider with a cell phone is a crash app. One that will send a signal with your GPS coordinates to a designated recipient if a hard jolt (crash) is detected and not canceled by you within a pre-set amount of time.

Doesn't do any good if there is absolutely zero cell signal, but being a text message, it will manage to get through eventually if there is even a faint and spotty signal.
Very cool, thanks!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #41
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
I don't even own a cell phone and never plan to, I've managed 60 years without one
Well isn't that a special contribution to a cell phone thread?

Quite the contrarian you are, are you not? Bully for you.

Don't call us ... we'll call you. (or not)

Back to the regularly scheduled topic.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #42
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post

It is called "cradar" if you are looking. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....mandown&hl=en

It works pretty well. i've played with it and it worked as stated. Make sure you mess with it and set the sensitivity, I think to medium. Make sure you tell your contact you are testing though, and not a couple minutes after the fact because you think you can beat the message. Don't ask. LOL
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #43
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Mine is in my jacket pocket so it's with me .Uk medics won't look at you phone just cut of your gear and get you to A&E to be fixed. It be police who run you reg number then fined were you live if you can't talk. Or just tape your emergency contract to the back of,your phone.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #44
mac10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Good ideas here!

I keep my phone in my inner jacket pocket,sealed at the top with Velcro to keep it there. it lives in a waterproof Lifeproof case. I keep the GPS feature on to aid in finding me. I always carry ID, and leave a note with my ride plan with my wife or somewhere findable at home. Around here emergency services will track down all 911 calls, even silent ones or hang ups. I programmed the phone to dial 911 if I hit the 9 key. They will come looking, and a phone with gps activated helps. Voice dialling could help too.

I wear a hi vis jacket, and on the zipper tab is small waterproof strobe type light, which can be activated by pushing a button. And a fox 40 whistle- a ditch whistle- wired on a six inch loop. So I can get to it lying in the ditch. Something useful to do to attract attention. Cell coverage is spotty, but something like a Spot tracker could be next once I do my homework. Bike and gear all have bright reflective material,Solas grade.

This way I am covered electronically,visually, acoustically and in the dark. Provided I am conscious,one hand functions, and I am not otherwise out of service.

mac10 screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 10:15 PM
mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #45
HAYVIATOR
Don't be me dude.

Oddometer: 243
I keep an expired ELT in my Pannier, if I come to an abrupt stop the Feds will come looking for me.
HAYVIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote