User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Oddometer: 133
Talking New Gal to Adventure Riding's FIRST RIDE: Mendocino NF, CA

This ride was my introduction to Adventure Riding (as a pillion on my BF's 990). It was a prep ride for the big epic ride to come = COBDR/KTM Rally in Steamboat/UTBDR. *And it almost didn't happen due to a case of food poisoning I got the previous weekend, bad shellfish, but thank goodness it was minor, albeit still painful!)

This was THE TEST. To see if I was indeed tuffenuff.

Although this was a short 2-day ride, it was a big deal to me. I was going to know whether or not I was in it for the long haul and that I would enjoy every minute of it, come what may and all the prep we had done and money and time and energy put in http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=905016 would be worth every moment of effort...

So, here we go...

------------
THE ROUTE
------------

Ride Trails included: Suisin Valley Rd, Berryessa Knoxville Rd, Reiff Rd (very rutted), Bear Valley Rd, Fouts Springs Rd, Letts Lake Rd, Bear Creek Rd, Deer Valley Rd, French Ridge, & Barlettt Spring Rd.

-------------------
THE CAST & CREW
-------------------

Thank you, Zeegman for your planning and navigation and for being an awesome advisor!

Thank you, Darkryder for your support and patience and encouragement!

----------------------------
Day 1: En Route (8/31/13)
----------------------------

It was decided we would leave early Saturday morning in order to avoid the Labor Day Holiday Traffic which would be worsened by the Bay Bridge weekend closure.

Woke up at 6am (we had packed up the previous night) feeling excited, anxious, eager and a bit nervous - nervous about hitting the highway with cars - and some of those cars being driven by people that aren't paying attention. But I wasn't about to let that dampen my spirits! Darkryder has 2 decades of street riding experience and is an experienced adv rider - I was in good hands! "O Captain! My Captain!"

I ate a simple breakfast of oatmeal and a cliff bar and drank water and went to the bathroom (I wasn't about to be the one that needed to keep stopping. No way, I didn't want to be "that girl". After filling up the tanks with feul, we were on our way to meet Zeegman at his place using surface streets. Zeegman was ready when we got there and we were off! "Highway Run"

First Long ADV Ride, 09/07: Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (COBDR & UTBDR)

tuffenuff screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 09:02 PM Reason: added photo
tuffenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Oddometer: 316
We enjoyed having you along for the ride Tiny. You did great! Looking forward to many more 2-up adventure rides on the big Katoom Only 2 more days until we depart for the COBDR
3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (UTBDR & COBDR)
DARKRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Talking New Gal to Adventure Riding's FIRST RIDE Continued...

------------------
Day 1: Continued
------------------

YES! We made it through the Highways! Thanks Zeegman for covering our toll!

Wow! I am having such a blast! And the best part is about to come!

I know some of you have seen these images before, as have I, but for me, this is the first time I'm seeing the scenery from a 990 with the wind blowing and fully exposed to nature. "What A Feeling!"

Lake Berryessa:

Ok, so finally... we're on dirt and rocks and gravel and ruts and sand and trees and water crossings and narrow trails and blind turns and it's hot and we're ascending and we're descending and it's steep and it's dusty and we're getting dirty and we're getting sweaty and we're on course and we're off course and we're ducking branches and it's hot and I'm getting a total body workout and it's slippery and there are bugs and bees and we're getting swirly and I'm so thankful I wore bike shorts with padding and had the airhawk and I'm bouncing and I'm getting launched and it's hot and... ummm... whoa... did he just reach 100 MPH?!!
or = .... meh, I'm still

I never knew this sport could be this exciting!!! I am HOOKED!!! "Born To Be Wild!"

Ok, so here are a few pics I took when we stopped and while we were moving. This was not only my first ride, but also the first ride for my BF, 2up on a ride like this. ***I had to dial down my shutterbug nature so that both he and I could focus on the ride, the environment, the conditions and learning each other on the bike.

Zeegman

Zeegman

Alas, we made it to Stonyford where we fueled up on gas, food and some supplies (water, ice and cold coke to accompany the rum) en route to our camp site which was yet TBD.

"No horses allowed" in the bar... but ok in the grill?

Thought the chairs and table were very cool - food was good too!

"Hungry Like A Wolf"

And we're back on the ride! *I remembered to make myself go to the bathroom!

*Thank you Zeegman for setting a great pace! The short breaks here and there to re-group and snack and cool off were of great comfort and made the ride all the more enjoyable!

This is Harold and his adorable pup! After searching and searching and searching for a nice high elevation camp site with a view (and finding out Goat Mountain was closed) we ran into Harold! He was super friendly and helpful in leading us to a nice camp site.
*Never judge a book by it's cover!"

Our home for the night: Stony Creek Camp Ground.

Our backyard. A nice babbling brook (creek) to lull us into sleep!
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...psb839f5d4.jpg

Ok, it's been a long long long time since I went camping, really camping, and I am amazed at how glam and high tech (& pricey) camping has become! And it is worth every penny!

Fascinating!

This was pretty good!

The men also had rum in their hot cocoa. I stuck with water and my Acclimate powdered drink (I rarely drink alcohol).

There's always been something magical about a camp fire that warms your soul!

Good night everyone! Can't wait for the morning and Day 2 of the ride!

I'm still "Midnight Rider"
Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

--------------------------------
Day 2: Headed Home (9/1/13)

Good morning! Rise and shine!

Time to pack up the camp, after oatmeal and a cliff bar! Lots of lessons learned here! I am going to get better organized going forward - lots of ziploc bags in my future with labels: bathroom, kitchen, bed, etc...
Disorganization drives me bonkers!
I am also going to wake up earlier to pack up... this time around we were not in a rush so we took our time waking up and packing up... but next time... we need to "I Like To Move it! Move it!"

Let's ride! "Rollin' On A River (Proud Mary)"

Ok, so to start off the day we went back and played in the water for a bit that we encountered yesterday on our way to our camp site.

Here are VIDEOS (links) of Darkryder and me (thanks to zeegman!). Even though it was a small crossing this time of the year, it was still good practice of he and I. (Apparently I can't post/embed vids yet...

http://s793.photobucket.com/user/Mik...d682e.mp4.html

http://s793.photobucket.com/user/Mik...87686.mp4.html

Back onto the dirt!

French Ridge for great views!

Here's a VIDEO (link) of Darkryder and me that I took with the Nikon video. Not too bad for a first... bonus: I stayed on the bike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S57pW02hMY0

As I mentioned earlier, we took our time this morning and left camp at about 10:30am... well it's now 4:00pm and we need to EAT... We sort of got off course and we made the mistake of not having our snacks (even though we had them readily accessible) when we did our stops/breaks.

FOOOOOOOD..... *Main St. Bar & Grill in Clear Lake serves breakfast all day!

Zeegman had 2 eggs sunnyside up, bacon and home fries!

Alas, we were on our way home via Napa Valley! And then, of course, the camera battery dies at this point.

Traffic was not so bad going home, it could have been worse had it been Monday. We made it home safely and we were tired from the long slab ride.

But man oh man! What an awesome 2-day ride! I felt great! We did great! I trusted him and he trusted me and it was a great experience!

I cannot wait for the next ride! COBDR/KTM Rally in Steamboat/UTBDR!

Thank you to everyone for your advice and recommendations!
Thank you Motoport for my awesome suit!
Much appreciated!

"We've Only Just Begun"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VQX2Xn7tI

tuffenuff screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 10:48 AM Reason: Forgot to thank Motoport :-)
Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffenuff View Post

There's always been something magical about a camp fire that warms your soul!

Hi tuffenuff,

Thanks for the wonderful ride report, we love that part of the world!

My wife, Cary, and I ran into Zeegman and crew at Saline Hot Springs last Thanksgiving ... seems like you guys are doing it right!

Looking forward to a report on your Steamboat trip ... sounds epic ...

Be faithful in small things!

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hi tuffenuff,

Thanks for the wonderful ride report, we love that part of the world!

My wife, Cary, and I ran into Zeegman and crew at Saline Hot Springs last Thanksgiving ... seems like you guys are doing it right!

Looking forward to a report on your Steamboat trip ... sounds epic ...

Be faithful in small things!

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
Thank you, SFMCjohn! It's a small world! I'm sure we'll run into each other too someday! I'm looking forward to our Steamboat trip and we'll be posting on that soon - we leave Friday & the ride starts on Sunday!

See you and your wife around the campfire!

P.S. Great blog! I was thinking of starting one myself... stay tuned...
Old 09-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffenuff View Post

Lots of lessons learned here! I am going to get better organized going forward - lots of ziploc bags in my future with labels: bathroom, kitchen, bed, etc...
Disorganization drives me bonkers!
ziplocs have their uses, but one of the best tools for camping off the bike is a Food Saver, you'll end up finding a hundred ways to use it, including vacuum bagging your own camp meals, much better quality than you can buy pre packaged in the store. you can vacuum bag some real gourmet creations that are easy to prepare. when camping, eat well.

i even vacuum bag the spares for the bike. if i need them, they are guaranteed to be clean and dry.

you've made a great start...have fun.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,236
Congrats on a fun ride. I was visiting family in the midwest or I would have gone with you guys (and broken up the Orange party).

The whole thing is really quite addictive, isn't it?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,605
Wahhhhooooooo! It's nice to see another gal entering the world of Adventure riding and I love reading about firsts.

Work on getting organized and when you get a handle on it let me know what you did. I have been trying to get organized for about 20 years now and I'm still an unorganized mess.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Right on tuffenuff! Looked like a great ride. Those creeks are a welcome sight this time of year!
Thanks for sharing.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,345
welcome to the asylum,

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
ziplocs have their uses, but one of the best tools for camping off the bike is a Food Saver, you'll end up finding a hundred ways to use it, including vacuum bagging your own camp meals, much better quality than you can buy pre packaged in the store. you can vacuum bag some real gourmet creations that are easy to prepare. when camping, eat well.

i even vacuum bag the spares for the bike. if i need them, they are guaranteed to be clean and dry.

you've made a great start...have fun.
Thanks, jdrocks! I was thinking of looking into that, vacuum bagging my own meals... will have to check that out for the next trip. :)
Old 09-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Congrats on a fun ride. I was visiting family in the midwest or I would have gone with you guys (and broken up the Orange party).

The whole thing is really quite addictive, isn't it?
Very addictive, longtallsally! I am hooked for good and forever! :)
Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Wahhhhooooooo! It's nice to see another gal entering the world of Adventure riding and I love reading about firsts.

Work on getting organized and when you get a handle on it let me know what you did. I have been trying to get organized for about 20 years now and I'm still an unorganized mess.
Will do Ladybug0048! We're on the COBDR currently en route to KTM Rally and I am having a blast! My BF & I are getting better and better at packing as we move along. I will soon share what I worked out and learned on our RR soon! :)
Old 09-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPillion View Post
Right on tuffenuff! Looked like a great ride. Those creeks are a welcome sight this time of year!
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks PinkPillion! Glad you liked the RR. I just love being by the water, so soothing!