User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
bigredroosta OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
4 days in the high country

Right then, I said to JC last year, I'm keen to see the high country, he said, no worries I'll organise it, and he did. So 4 riders set off from Yea, for a 4 day jaunt round the hills.

The day before I'm daydreamin along when all hell breaks loose, 30+ Harleys thunder past me, being the Vietnam Veteran bad boys

The Yea motel where sleep was difficult with many comings and goings all night ..footsteps outside in the crunchy gravel

First stop was Cheviot tunnel, now a bike trail. nice bit of brickworks

Fuel was scarce in the small towns due to Long weekend just gone and it being perfect weather for water skiing behind boats with big thirsty Chev inboards. At Merton we headed thru state forests up to Swanpool for a snack, then onto Goldie spur track leading round past Lake Buffalo, and the front side of Mt Buffalo. Poopped out the top to view the Buckland valley below

Refuel at Bright then across a 4wd track eventually hitting Tawonga Gap Rd, near where I did some CFA strike crew work in 06

Stayed in the Bogong Moth Motel, owner John taxied us to the pub for dinner and what was left of Happy hour.
Next day out north on Eskdale spur, 3mm rain onite had settled the dust perfectly

Track was a cracker, ups, downs, rocks, windy, adv bike country
There was some old fashioned map action, aka wherethefarkarewe

I was monitoring progress the modern way..

Out at Tallangatta to a decent look at Lake Hume

Then the 3 Amigos headed back sth west, I went visiting friends in Albury from there.
Next day was another great ride, from Yackandanda to beechworth on backtracks, then over to Eldorado where I found this dredge, a 2500 T monster of the gold era.

A flog up the Hume to Woolmargarma NP and across that filled in the afternoon, including a pinch flat on my front tyre.
Ending up at Jinjellic pub for refreshments and a feed by the Murray.
Next morn, we crossed the Murray

and ate at Walwa café

bigredroosta screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 12:20 AM
bigredroosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 AM   #2
bigredroosta OP
Studly Adventurer

4 days in the high country

So, this is to say that post #2 describes day 3 and 4, days 1 & 2 are below in post #1.
Thru Lucyvale, then into the Reedy creek area

Then up to Mt Benambra lookout

Dartmouth Dam

A bit more map reading

Then down toward the Damn Dam

On some more damn fine tracks

Finally at the Dam, there was this cool looking bike there so I took a pic

Then Doug & Greg headed south for home, we fueled at Mitta mitta and down the Omeo hwy and hung a right at Bogong High Plains Rd toward Falls Creek- found a few enticing camping spots for another trip..

Views up on the high plains were stunning

The sun bleached branches of the Snow Gums burnt in the 06 fires were a highlight

Heres Rocky Valley Lake from Mt McKay, never saw any snow bunnies worth chasing today Stocky

There was this cool looking bike was up there again so I took a pic..

Down the back of Falls on this beaut track we found

Into Mt Beauty and stopped at Bogong Moth again, they do look after you there (gratutitous plug for John there)
So next day was a biggish 700 odd, home via some interesting tracks, eg Edi Meadow Creek Rd to Whitfield, up Powers lookout, the Paps Lookout at Mansfield

I knew I must be near the Wimmera by the change in the Rivers

And just before home I ran into a thunder storm and copped it, plus a huge temp drop to 12 degrees
So that was it. I now know theres heaps more over there to see, I was lucky to get shown a few of the good spots by some blokes who really know their way around up there.
The end.
Any questions?
Old 03-18-2014, 02:06 AM   #3
WaydeO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Thanks for the great report & photos. Looks like you fellas had a great time. Im hoping to get down there for a few days before the next MotoGP for my first experience of the famous High Country, your report will help me a lot with planning . Now if you can just organise your next trip for then & let me tag along = perfect
WaydeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:22 AM   #4
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,520
I knew it

Well I guess a 990 is better than a Harley any day!

Great RR Wal
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
bigredroosta OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks XR!
Yep, and I'll be looking fwd to seeing the farkled up Strom in the near future.
Coming to the Trials?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,520
nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredroosta View Post
Thanks XR!
Yep, and I'll be looking fwd to seeing the farkled up Strom in the near future.
Coming to the Trials?
I will be in Brazil by then. It was a big decision, Brazil with bikini clad ladies or Trial with you lot. Hmmm. They won!

Farkling has been delayed on the Strom. ( Dave's bike is all over my shed floor) So far it has a bashplate and crashbars added.

I plan to add risers and MX type bars, an ABS off switch, and accessory electric fuse box thing under the seat to avoid my spaghetti wiring as on the DRZ.

Maybe later a higher front fender and E07 tyres. I am unsure about the suspension. It lacks initial compliance on small bumps ( lighter fork oil maybe?) and has about 5-6 inches of travel. Supposedly this model is far better than the pre'12 model, so they must be pretty average.

That should make it adequate for dirt road cruising trips. it is a ripper little road bike as is.

Speaking of trips, are you going to upload this trip to TAUT?
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote