Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #61
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,270
Looking forward to the next installment....Your nephew may have your Tiger by the tail when you get there. Looks like he'll be riding soon..
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:05 AM   #62
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,890
It will be fun to see what you find next.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #63
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,077
Update:

Well it's that time to get back out there and hit the back-roads. Flying out this coming Sunday and plan on a Louisiana Bayou Adventure. As it stands I intend to enter as close to the coast as Possible, probably Port Arthur TX in on 82

No real set itinerary except to head for Lafayette for the local Mardi Gras.

Looking forward to this. Truth be told I spent 7 years in Louisiana as a boy; dad was stationed at Fort Polk.. he spent a lot of time at the Tigerland training area. I have vague memories of running around in the woods pissing off cottonmouths with sticks and crawdad fishing with a string and piece of bacon. I can also remember being chased up a tree by some wild hogs once too... my friend was trying to shoot it with his .22 single shot which just making it more angry I think. OH yes not to freak you all out but even at that young of an age we carried .22 rifles, and pellet guns... unsupervised. It was a different time, and we managed to grow up without incident.

Anyway I'll spend a week exploring

And the food... if'in my arteries don't harden up... but OH to Die for!

Listen to some local regional music

Then make a run through Burbon Street heading for Mississippi..

See you all Out there

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #64
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,366
Still watching.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #65
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,890
Ride safely and have a great time
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #66
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
I have vague memories of running around in the woods pissing off cottonmouths with sticks and crawdad fishing with a string and piece of bacon. I can also remember being chased up a tree by some wild hogs
That would make a great reality show. Somewhere between Moonshiners and Duck dynasty.

Will be tuning in for the "South rises again" adventure. Hopefully the weather will be on your side.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #67
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Ride safely and have a great time
You betcha there LB

Aldous Huxley
Old 02-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #68
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Still watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
That would make a great reality show. Somewhere between Moonshiners and Duck dynasty.

Well it did sorta happen in the neighborhood. The wild hog thing was while walking around Vernon Lake... 47 years ago

Will be tuning in for the "South rises again" adventure. Hopefully the weather will be on your side.

Aldous Huxley
Old 02-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #69
RatPatrol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Awesome trip, keep sharing, great to read about some of these places from way back in my past also. Basic training 1971 Fort Polk, LA. The most terrified I have ever been, when the Drill Sargent told us to march through a chest deep swamp at midnight. We only have garter snakes where I'm from (God Damn Yankee according to him), this was insane. I survived and then off to Fort Bliss for Vulcan Gunship training 1972. Then was invited for a 13 month camping trip at the DMZ in Korea 72-73. Now don't be offended when I say I have no desire to return to these scenic wonderlands, but no. I do want to go explore Idaho, Wyoming, and Colorado. Can't wait for spring.
RatPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #70
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatPatrol View Post
Awesome trip, keep sharing, great to read about some of these places from way back in my past also. Basic training 1971 Fort Polk, LA. The most terrified I have ever been, when the Drill Sargent told us to march through a chest deep swamp at midnight. We only have garter snakes where I'm from (God Damn Yankee according to him), this was insane. I survived and then off to Fort Bliss for Vulcan Gunship training 1972. Then was invited for a 13 month camping trip at the DMZ in Korea 72-73. Now don't be offended when I say I have no desire to return to these scenic wonderlands, but no. I do want to go explore Idaho, Wyoming, and Colorado. Can't wait for spring.
Hey thanks for popping in. Totally off subject about my ride but, I can remember very well going out to the base with my step-dad (he was an E8 {mean bastard})in the summer when school was out to watch the troops train. There was this Huey fuselage up on a pedestal about 6 to 8 feet off the ground.. they would jump out and have to clear the village (God I wish I had pictures) pungi sticks, trap doors, underground tunnels, etc... was like being in a movie with very foul language, it was just the norm to me my childhood!

I run around the swamps and waded through some scary stuff. Cottonmouths didn't bother me as much but those damn Brown moccasins; you know, when I think back I shutter at the stupid stuff I and my friends did in those woods. Our only rule was to be home by Dark... no cell phone, no GPS ...

So, no wonder you were scared to death crossing the swamp, it was unnerving in the day light.

Basic Training Back in the Day: http://youdidntaskbut.wordpress.com/...uring-vietnam/

Stay tuned and let's see what I find. Oh we were transferred in late 67 to South Carolina, but I still have vivid memories. One more thing I joined in 72 they sent me to Germany, most my friends out of AIT went the other way.

Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 12:29 PM
Old 02-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #71
RatPatrol
Adventurer

Idahosam, I know you're probably busy packing, but if you have a few minutes please give us a little report on your steed. The Tigers seem to have a lot of character and the exhaust note is sweet. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #72
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Idahosam, I know you're probably busy packing, but if you have a few minutes please give us a little report on your steed. The Tigers seem to have a lot of character and the exhaust note is sweet. Thanks.

Well hell since you asked so nicely...

I have a 2006 955i I bought as a birthday gift to myself in November of 06; here it is the day I brought her home

And as I purchased her as a road tripping (sport touring) I use touring liberally. She been almost flawless. She will do forest service roads with ease

And how she looks now, a few farkles later:

To summarize this Bike.. I love it! Been one of the most reliable bikes I've owned. Low Maintenance, smooth and a fantastic power band. Oil change is straight forward about 15 to 20 minutes. I can purchase oil filters at Walmart and oil too. I been running Shell Rotella 5x40 with no problems.

I rode to Canada with a friend this past summer and he was so impressed (he was on a BMW1150) he bought a XC800 when he got home. I can ride through towns at around 35 mph and never down shift from 6th (but I mostly idle through in 5th gear, then just roll on the throttle and away we go.

Only real problem I had was an overheating issue in Wyoming back in 08 turns out it was a bad radiator cap. NAPA took care of that with a 80's Toyota Radiator Cap.

The one thing I am having to watch out for is I am a western rider and Bagheera's sweet spot is 80-90 but I have to really watch myself here in SE to 60ish... but hey I'm getting great fuel economy!

You may have noticed I replaced the OEM panniers with aftermarket. Well the OEM are just fine for an overnight-er to grandma's house but not for long periods of time.. as in living off the bike.

The right OEM had almost no usable space as it was lost for the exhaust pipe.

You may also notice people like to mod their bikes my are stock, and have served me well as is. And yes! the pipe sings riding down the road an almost jet turbine sound till you throttle on then the sweet sweet growl unique to the triumph Tiger.

Man after that I'm salivating to get down there and mount up

2 days and I'm outta here.

Aldous Huxley
Old 02-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #73
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,500
Sam---you been holding out on us----I spied that TW200 on the porch.
Whenever you get to go on a really big ride--you can get er' out
Been wantin' one of those.

Lookin' forward to your trip and a tiger ride----those bikes have some of the best motors out there.

BigDog

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #74
RatPatrol
Adventurer

Thanks Idahosam, awesome bike with a lot of character. You're pretty good at loading that bike down with gear, well done. Good luck on the trip, stay safe, and I look forward to reading more.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #75
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures View Post
Sam---you been holding out on us----I spied that TW200 on the porch.
Whenever you get to go on a really big ride--you can get er' out
Been wantin' one of those.

Lookin' forward to your trip and a tiger ride----those bikes have some of the best motors out there.

BigDog

Hey BigDog, I had that TW for 13 years and kick myself in the butt for selling it to my daughters then boyfriend (they have broke up) I still stay in touch with him as he'd come over to see her and spend most the time in garage with me chatting about BIKES turned him into a diehard M/C rider. The TW is starting to look good again the older I get.

Triumph Triples are awesome motors!

Quote:
Thanks Idahosam, awesome bike with a lot of character. You're pretty good at loading that bike down with gear, well done. Good luck on the trip, stay safe, and I look forward to reading more.

Just printed out my boarding Pass

Aldous Huxley