ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #121
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,308
A Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
Hokey Smokes...I think Don was trying to leave some dead bodies on the trail.
How was the A loop?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #122
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,509
Probably not that much tougher than the B loop from the sound of it...really rocky and some true single track. It wouldn't have been that bad if it was just some small sections, but it seemed to go on and on.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #123
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
great event

Had a fun time at the ATR event this week. great group and super event. I will be back next year. Thanks to the Crown King FD for Lunch on Saturday and Thanks to the Elks club for dinner, great food
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #124
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,220
Howlin' from the Tucson bunch

A loop B loop, I'm Pooped

So we all came up Friday, Skip (Rpage11), John (Emerson Bigguns) , Allyn (HoosierDaddy) and me Cathy, aka Weeble or (yzfcathy).

Sat morning Skip & John took off on the B loop. Allyn and I opted for the A.
The A had a nice steep loose hillclimb early on, and that caused a bottle neck of sorts. After grovelling and paddling up that thing we continued on. A bit later we came across a little step up bottle neck and waited for some bikes to clear ahead before blasting on. Another climb with a rumor of someone up ahead with a broken thumb.

We got through all that and decided if we wanted to make Crown King and find any food left we might want to jump to the B loop, it was getting late in the morning. Surely the B will be faster.

It started out faster, then we hit a long wash section with some sand, and some big rocks that kept grabbing me and sucking me down, one side then the other. Eventually, around 1:00p, we arrived at CK.

Skip and John had apparently come and gone. Allyn and I thought that if we stayed on the B we might actually catch them. We figured they were likely only an hour ahead at most. Turns out they left CK by 11:30a.

We launched out of CK at 1:30p and got to the turnoff at Senator highway by around 1:45. We stopped at the gate about a mile up and as I waited for Allyn to come through to close the gate I saw that my 525 was overheating and spitting water like I'd never seen before.

Well my waterpump seal had given up the ghost and after almost emptying my camelbak into it, I watched water ooze out of the weep hole without the radiator cap even on or the engine running.
That and my left fork seal had also let loose, soaking my brake caliper in fork oil.

Some ATR sweeps came through and kenny D called Don Hood and also was able to call Richard and Pam at CK to see if they could grab my bike at Senator highway. I could coast down that grade back to Senator highway without too much trouble I'm sure.

Allyn stayed with me (like any good wingman) and we returned to the turnoff at Senator highway, about 13 miles out of CK. As we waited several riders came by, all either stopped or otherwise communicated whether we needed help. We gave a thumbs up to all as help was on the way.
My memory escapes me, but before Richard and Pam showed up, Zebra truck guy came by and set me up with gatorade and water. Much appreciated by me since my radiator enjoyed most of my afternoon water supply.

With my rescue assured Allyn went out with a group and I waited for Richard and Pam. I was able to text my plight to Skip & John when we were still up on the hill so they knew we were taken care of. That text back from Skip said that they were also having some bike trouble and would see us at the hotel later. They estimated another hour before they saw Prescott Valley. That was at about 2:00p.

So, fat dumb and happy, I waited and sure enough Richard and Pam came along. We loaded up my bike, it had company with broken thumb guy and his wingman's bikes, both in the back of Richards truck.
The two of them were in another truck ahead of us. Probaby self medicating at a local watering hole.

Richard and Pam (& Connie, ruff ruff) dropped me at the hotel where I was surprised to see Skip & John nowhere in sight. Hmm, thought they would be here showered and already 3 beers to the wind.
Allyn was there and already cleaned up. His bike had however lost 5th gear during his ride back.
So there were were, our bikes in the hotel parking lot, dripping fork oil, anti freeze and transmission oil all over their blacktop.

After unloading I called Don to check myself and Allyn in as arrived. I asked if he had heard of Skip & John's whereabouts. Nothing yet.

I texted Skip, took a shower and waited. Finally at about 5:30p Skip & John staggered in. They had been riding with Brad (refocus) since lunch, 11:00-11:30 and they had had a few "issues" along the way.

Skip broke a handlebar and a fr brake lever, the new brake lever wasn't working very well due to the earlier crash that removed the previous lever also damaging the lever adjustment. Who needs a fr brake anyway right!
John had snapped the antenna off of his GPS and Skip's GPS had decided to not recognize any pionts within about 300 miles.
Skip also busted his seat pan and it was now attached only by the 2 rear subframe bolts, nice.

The A and B loops were the same out of CK in the afternoon. Once the carnage occured, they no longer had GPS's to find the B loop turn off. So they unknowlingly stayed on the A loop. It had been a long day, lots of brokrn stuff and fatigue and dehydration was settling in the afternoon sky. They just wanted out. They came across the ATR sweeps who pointed them (led them out) in the right direction.

Perhaps needless to say, at the end of the day we all had broken bikes and sore, sore muscles. John being the only one who had a bike that would still run the next day, albiet without any navigation.

We all opted out of Sunday and ate and drank heartily Sat evening at Left T's steakhouse.
I wanted to stop by the Elks afterwards, but was so tired along with everyone else that we just went back to the hotel and passed out.

I didn't get many pix, after the first hill climb I was already thinking about ways to conserve energy and pulling out the camera was wasting valuable energy resources. Here's the few I got.

Sat morning at the Elks

My KTM squat peeing anti freeze

Looking up from the halfway point of one of the many climbs

Waiting for my wingman

Overlooking Prescott Valley (I think)
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project

yzfcathy screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 09:31 PM
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #125
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 670
Another Great Event! My 4th year in a row doing H@M's and I must say it was super dusty and warm this year compared to the past.

Saturday's A-Loop was great and included lots of B-Loop routes....which were challenging for everyone. Good Job Don! My ODO said about 122 miles for Saturday. Some pics:

This Ford Zebra Bronco actually had a tail and made it to CK!

Traffic Jam! A dozen riders 2-abreast blocking the route.

My buddy Dave and his 2-Stroke had a few issues early that morning but he warmed up to the rocks quickly.

All the Single-Track was awesome. It was a mix of well-used rocky trail to small cow trails that you thanked the good lord the batteries in the GPS were still working. Felt like we were the only ones on the trails.

This would have been a great spot to build a cabin (cool trees around it and it had a spring nearby):
Old 10-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #126
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Sunday's Pics

Sunday wound up being just under 80 miles. We all did fine on our stock tanks, nobody ran out of gas in our group of 3.

Fall Colors! This wash was super fast and fun with about 50 'wall rides' and cool sights:

someone needs to build a trail on the edge of this ridge!

Lunch Spot

We played king of the roof

Braap

The new ST on Sunday was excellent! We liked all of it. Uphill climbs, ridgeline views, fast sections, and tight turns.

The trail back to Prescott wasn't bad either! Loved the colors:

I didn't win anything in the raffle but next year I want to bet on this dog to get to the finish first!

Thanks ATR and everyone else who helped put on another great event!
Old 10-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #127
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Great time

Ok I have done some of the B loop in august and I didn't feel like working that hard and pounding my body. so I opted for a leisurely ride on the Saturday C loop. I enjoyed the scenery and had a great ride.

Starting out at the Elks

some scenery along the way

Palace station

I had to get a picture of the Bike

That dust down there is from riders on the B-track. I have ridden this little stretch with Don H. and some others in August. After riding with Don on two occasions. I have learned when he says come on out for some fire roads and jeep trails there will be no single track. Don't believe him. Also if he says there is a fun little hill or section that is code for blood and Carnage. all Kidding aside, I think Don did a great job laying this out.

I think this is from Senator Hwy

Crown King for Lunch

More Riders coming in

some dedicated ATR members who chose to work this event and not ride

More scenery after CK

This guy definitely belonged on the C route

Thanks go out to ATR, Crown King FD and the Elks.
you can't fix stupid.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #128
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
Ok I have done some of the B loop in august and I didn't feel like working that hard and pounding my body.

That dust down there is from riders on the B-track. I have ridden this little stretch with Don H. and some others in August. After riding with Don on two occasions. I have learned when he says come on out for some fire roads and jeep trails there will be no single track. Don't believe him. Also if he says there is a fun little hill or section that is code for blood and Carnage. all Kidding aside, I think Don did a great job laying this out.
Rode the A/B section to Crown King on my 990. Had a great time until I wedged my foot in between my foot peg and the side of one of the downhill sections twisting my left foot back. X-rays this morning. Fractured the 3rd metatarsal.

Besides my bad luck it was a great ride.
Thanks to Aaron for sweeping me to make sure I got out ok.
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #129
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post
Rode the A/B section to Crown King on my 990. Had a great time until I wedged my foot in between my foot peg and the side of one of the downhill sections twisting my left foot back. X-rays this morning. Fractured the 3rd metatarsal.

Besides my bad luck it was a great ride.
Thanks to Aaron for sweeping me to make sure I got out ok.
We're you riding with a camo gun rack sticking up on the back. If so I saw you enter this little single track section
you can't fix stupid.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #130
F_G
new2ds

Oddometer: 127
On behalf of the Arizona Trail Riders I want to thank every participant that supported the Howlin' at the Moon this year. Everyone was awesome, we got nothing but rave reviews about you guys from the Elks and Crown King FD.

We knew the routes were a bit tougher this year, but that seemed to be what people were asking for following previous events. Please keep the feedback coming and be honest, we need to hear it to make the next event better.

Speaking of the next event, we have already been granted a sanction and booked a venue for the next years event. Wickenburg, Arizona - November 8-9, 2014. HHHOOOOOWWWWLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

BTW, the "Zebra" Bronco was the Sat/Sun C sweep vehicle, along with the brandy new 1190 from MotoCity.
"Father Goose"

F_G screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 01:16 PM
F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #131
F_G
new2ds

Oddometer: 127
Keep the great pictures and stories coming.

Eric, sorry to hear about the foot, hope you have a complete and speedy recovery.
"Father Goose"
F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #132
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,308
Nightstalker

What happened to the photo king Nightstalker? I didn't see him at all.......
Old 10-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #133
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Here's a pic of what Crown King looked like on Saturday.
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #134
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
What happened to the photo king Nightstalker? I didn't see him at all.......
I think he went hiking.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #135
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
We're you riding with a camo gun rack sticking up on the back. If so I saw you enter this little single track section
That was 'ewilly' or Eric W. He makes custom racks for ADV Bikes and decided to showcase his fab and riding skills on a BMW F800cc. He rode the B-Loop and finished it, but he has some great stories to add; like when he saw his stock alloy skid plate go sliding past him down the trail.