User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
hippiebrian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,944
The "sport" of motorcycling?

I keep reading and hearing people saying that we need to attract more people to the "sport" of motorcycling. What they really mean is to put more people on motorcycling. Why is it people call motorcycling (the type most of us do, commuting, travelling, touring, etc) a sport?

Racing, stunting and trials, etc, are sports, as there is competition there. If you are being competitive on the street, you don't belong there. Take it to the track. If you are being competitive on open dirt trails, you don't belong there either. Set up or go to a closed motorcross track or closed course.

Outside of that, motorcycling is transportation, a hobby and, for me, a life long obsession. But not a sport. Callign it a sport gives it, imho, the wrong image.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
I keep reading and hearing people saying that we need to attract more people to the "sport" of motorcycling. What they really mean is to put more people on motorcycling. Why is it people call motorcycling (the type most of us do, commuting, travelling, touring, etc) a sport?

Racing, stunting and trials, etc, are sports, as there is competition there. If you are being competitive on the street, you don't belong there. Take it to the track. If you are being competitive on open dirt trails, you don't belong there either. Set up or go to a closed motorcross track or closed course.

Outside of that, motorcycling is transportation, a hobby and, for me, a life long obsession. But not a sport. Callign it a sport gives it, imho, the wrong image.
Maybe I am being a semantics pedant, but I agree.

Competitive riding is a sport, and it is good to see people getting into it. Many of have dabbled in "the sport", or still do. However, for the most part motorcycling is a just a way to get around, or a hobby..... albeit an obsession for some!

Aj Mick screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 08:08 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,268
Quote:

You seem awfully uptight for a hippie!

It is a passion, an obsession, a penis enhancer, an ego machine and yes, even a sport, if that is what you choose to call it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,649
i think its sporty, so to speak. sporting, of sorts. and it would seem many ride primarily for sport. and for others its a big part of it

i consider the guys who ride the canyons on supersports amateur sportsmen. what else could it be but sport? i have no inclination to do that. i mean i like a good ride in the hills and some spirited riding, but i am not matching a ridng suit to the color of my bike or scraping knees around turns just for the sake of it. that to me is sport

as is some off road riding, etc. when i am splitting lanes and dodging traffic i feel athletic sometimes. body control, coordination, split second "better make this shot" decisions. its somewhat...physical. as well as mental. kinda like sport can be

anyway these waters go too deep. just call it what you want 'n keep the rubber side down :)
Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,333
Talking It feels like a sport to me!

Quote:

So if your not Competing against someone its not a sport. You need to relax a little on the semantics. It takes coordination skill and physical ability to ride trails at a normal pace with the flow of the trail. Same way on the road, If I am going the 55vmph speed limit and the suggested speed of the corner is 25 it takes a little skill and physical ability to make the turn. I say its a sport no matter what level you are riding, its not just sitting in a seat. I think calling it a sport gives it a way better image than the pirate costumed biker gangs image most of these turds want to convey. After all you meet the nicest people on a ADV/Sport/Metric cruiser.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
In the broad view, anything that you do, that isn't work, is sport.
But then again, organized professional sports are work......
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Sport:

1) an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

2) a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.

3) diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

4) jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.

5) mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.

Debate all you want about the first two, but the last three certainly fit this forum!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:

No competition... Not a sport! Like Jogging... NOT a sport.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 291
Cool2

Aren't we all competing against gravity?
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Is Time Competition?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
hippiebrian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Actually I agree...jogging is just running when you don't have to.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
If ping pong is a sport.......
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,138
Quote:

I'm offended when someone calls it a "sport." Or they say "If you want to play, you have to pay." I live riding motorcycles. I may die riding motorcycles. While I enjoy my motorcycling life, it's not really play. The passion is something more than that.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #14
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,354
Kinda' like golf. I know I may be desecrating hallowed ground here for some of you FFs.

If you go out and play a round of golf by yourself, is it a sport or is it just an activity of accuracy?

Then if you take your Panagale out and run a bunch of curves just right OR clean a woods section on your first try on your WR250- and that leaves you with a smile.

Which is a sport or just an activity?

BTW, IMHO I'd rather whack a throttle than whack a ball.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #15
sloweddy
Tree Hugger

Oddometer: 93
What Is a Sportbike?

I know many people want to insist that the term "Sport" only apply to competitive activities even though the dictionary definitions and common usage are clearly at odds with that narrow of a viewpoint.

People design, build, buy and ride Sports Bikes, Sport Tourers and Dual Sports Motorcycles knowing that the joy of riding (even - or maybe especially - when there is no competition involved) can be a fantasitic experience whether you call it a sport, hobby, passion, pursuit, amusement, obsession, past time, or two wheeled motorized transportation.

From the article linked below:

"A sport bike, aka "sportbike" and "sportsbike", is a motorcycle optimized for speed, acceleration, braking, and cornering on paved roads, typically at the expense of comfort and fuel economy by comparison with more standard motorcycles.

Soichiro Honda wrote in the owner's manual of the 1959 Honda CB92 Benly Super Sport that, "Primarily, essentials of the motorcycle consists in the speed and the thrill,"..."

" Cycle World's Kevin Cameron says more prosaically that, "A sportbike is a motorcycle whose enjoyment consists mainly from its ability to perform on all types of paved highway – its cornering ability, its handling, its thrilling acceleration and braking power, even (dare I say it?) its speed."

"Sport touring motorcycles share many features of sport bikes, but they are generally considered a class all their own. These are mid- to large-sized motorcycles that offer more carrying capacity, more relaxed ergonomics, and more versatility than specialized sport bikes, while being lighter and more agile than touring motorcycles"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_bike

sloweddy screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 05:28 AM
sloweddy is offline   Reply With Quote