Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Is snow skiing a sport? No competition there. How about all those bicyclists with their $5k carbon bikes and spandex clothing? Is that a sport? How about track day riders? They just do laps.

Commuting is commuting, but trail riding is a test of sorts, and I think of it as a sporting activity. I would say that motorcycling in general is a pastime, but it has sporting elements that are not necessarily racing.

What I don't understand is why the OP wants to lecture us about it.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #17
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Others have hit it: OF COURSE motorcycling is a sport. Except when it isn't.

Swimming is a sport, except when it's exercise, or when it's relaxation, or when it's to keep from drowning.

Bicycling is a sport, except when it's exercise, or when it's relaxation, or when it's commuting.

Etc., etc.

Now, do I think 99.9% of riders are engaged in "sport" riding? No, I don't. But many riders certainly engage in *sporty* riding, i.e. riding that is distinguished from competitive riding only by the lack of competition, or a change in venue.

I have no trouble calling it a sport. Or a hobby. Or commuting. Same tool, different applications.

So, the rest of you cranks, get your sticks outta the mud.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #18
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Is snow skiing a sport? No competition there. How about all those bicyclists with their $5k carbon bikes and spandex clothing? Is that a sport? How about track day riders? They just do laps.

Commuting is commuting, but trail riding is a test of sorts, and I think of it as a sporting activity. I would say that motorcycling in general is a pastime, but it has sporting elements that are not necessarily racing.

What I don't understand is why the OP wants to lecture us about it.
yeah OP also calls it "a hobby" which i would never call it and i think it conveys "the wrong image", too. as he put it

so he can call it a hobby but others cannot a sport? i mean to me a hobby is the internet, not riding my bikes. to my mind riding is more a sport then a hobby

its most likely just our own POV's. for instance i HATE the term "toy" to describe any motorcycle and took umbrage recently when used to describe some motorcycles in a post. poster said "well, how about "Big Boy Toys?"

hey, fine with me. i still think a grown man referring to his stuff as "toys" is a bit desperate for my sensibilities but wtf do i know or care?

so you want some BIG BOY TOYS, be my guest!

just don't be too sporting on 'em
Old 09-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #19
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,819
I consider it a sport, among other things. I really don't care how you define it. It is what it is.

It is a competition, even on the street. When I ride, I compete with myself, trying to ride that perfect line through that curve, or just improve my skills. I compete with gravity, trying to remain upright. I suppose if you ride your bike the way the typical cage driver drives, then it is not a sport. Then it's just transportation and the bike just an appliance. Your skills will never improve beyond a basic level.

Even when I ride for transportation, I enjoy the ride and view every curve as entertainment and a chance to practice my skills. It's transportainment...............and a SPORT.

Off road, it's definately as sport. Riding hard off road can be as tiring as any other sport I have tried. Anyone who doesn't consider off road riding a sport has never ridden anything challenging.

klaviator screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 01:25 PM
klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #20
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
Actually I agree...jogging is just running when you don't have to.
When you are running from a mugger then it IS a sport because you have to, right?

I think that some people who wouldn't put forth the effort to compete prefer to massage their ego by calling their pastime a sport. Thus, after enough time in use this way the lexicon accepts the alternative definition as valid.

Somewhere recently I read that the Oxford English Dictionary has added SRSLY as a defined English word. Go figure. I don't think that was very sporting of them to do so.

Words don't have meanings, people have meanings for words.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 12:42 PM
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
DJFlowe
Ginger

Oddometer: 222
In a way, constantly referring to riding as a sport marginalizes us. I especially hate it when we're lumped in with jetskis as "powersports."

This is why people look at me like I'm crazy when they hear that I commute on a motorcycle year-round. They think what we do is play, is a sport, and there's no way a serious adult would consider two wheels as a valid method of daily transportation.

IMHO, the guys that ride $5k bicycles in spandex do the same to biking. It's no longer a reasonable method of transportation- it's a toy and a competition.
DJFlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #22
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean

Oddometer: 73
Let me tell you something.

If you could have seen me spend all night having a catharsis on the porcelain throne, and then pack the exhaust with some Calmol and hop on the bike in order to make it through traffic to work in time before the next Sharknado hit...

...you'd call it the best dang Sport you ever saw.

Riding can be a Sport.

Discussion over, lets talk about ATGATT.
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #23
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
When you are running from a mugger then it IS a sport because you have to, right?

I think that some people who wouldn't put forth the effort to compete prefer to massage their ego by calling their pastime a sport. Thus, after enough time in use this way the lexicon accepts the alternative definition as valid.

Somewhere recently I read that the Oxford English Dictionary has added SRSLY as a defined English word. Go figure. I don't think that was very sporting of them to do so.

I like the way you write, and we agree on a lot, but if you look deeper, I think you'll find on this you are wrong. Sport came to connote competition later in its usage, originally it meant a pastime, a diversion. You'll get a lot of people griping about hunting and fishing being called sports, but they are; specifically, they are blood sports. No competition necessary.

David B.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #24
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post

well, people have interpretations of the meanings. looking for the truth is something that has been done since the beginning of time

"what is sport and how does it apply." that is the question here. in that sense you are right. the word means nothing but to suggest something. but a single word itself cannot define anything

my head is about to explode

anyway this is sport. anything more, less, or otherwise...you guys figure it out

Old 09-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #25
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I like the way you write, and we agree on a lot, but if you look deeper, I think you'll find on this you are wrong. Sport came to connote competition later in its usage, originally it meant a pastime, a diversion. You'll get a lot of people griping about hunting and fishing being called sports, but they are; specifically, they are blood sports. No competition necessary.

David B.
As for what it originally meant the etymology is interesting. Motorcycling is indeed a sport.

All I wanted to convey is that through use the meaning of a word can change. Sport taking on the meaning of competition is an example.

Thanks, I had it backwards.

As Emily Litella would say.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #26
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post

David B.
I believe it is a sport, so long as you compete with someone, even yourself. I often try to be smoother, quicker and with better timing. To me, the best competition is against myself!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #27
justafurnaceman
Imaginary

Oddometer: 965
In the Army most Senior Leadership label motorcycles as recreational vehicles. Mine isn't.

Guess what? I ain't going to win any arguments trying to explain that mine is my primary transportation as long as there isn't any snow on the ground.

If I was you I would take a deep breath, take my right hand and reach behind me and try to untwist my panties! With names like SPORTBIKE people are going to continue calling motorcycling a sport.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #28
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

^

i too have tried to explain to others its not a sport for me, hobby, toy time, an escape (i loathe that one) or recreation. its my daily life, a large part of WHO i am. those close to me know this but even they can't quite grasp what it is to me or why imo. they are distant when i speak of riding, and generally oblivious of its nature

so i just let it be

i do wonder about the "white sneakers" crowd on the supersports, though? this seems to be a "sporty" uniform for some? same as Harley guys in pirate garb only for sport bike riders

i think to myself "did everyone just decide to wear horrible WHITE sneakers to ride today or is it a bad dream?"

oh so....sporty!!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #29
justafurnaceman
Imaginary

Oddometer: 965
OH, I forgot that we probably should ask HD to rename the SPORTster.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #30
BillsburgGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Soon to be the most agreed upon response?

I have carefully considered all of your comments. All have merit. Distilled:

I hereby declare declare sex a "sport".
BillsburgGS is offline   Reply With Quote