Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #31
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,515
As for Wiseblood's eyeball calculation of distance, it is well established that distance is difficult to measure from a moving vehicle.

This is why the "two second rule" was developed. People really can't guestimate what the number of car lengths, or feet, they are from another vehicle with any accuracy, but can measure seconds away from a vehicle more easily using fixed points as reference.

The distance was likely different than the 50 feet stated, and was also considerably less than two seconds from the car in front of the bike.

If it had been a trained Harley rider they would have not only avoided front brake use for fear of going over the bars, but would have executed the standard "lay 'er down" emergency maneuver.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #32
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Hi, Sim!

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #33
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Weight will transfer to the front even if you're just using the rear brake. Try it tomorrow.

I can't tell that he NEVER applied the front brakes. But, he wasn't giving them more than a tickle, if anything. I can tell 'cuz he couldn't stop. Idjit just slid and slid and slid with blue smoke billowing from his rear tire contact patch.

One time I was on a ride with two friends -- one in front and one behind. I lost focus for a few seconds, and when I clued back in, my friend in front was stopped waiting for a left turn. The friend following me said my rear wheel made it about two feet in the air. That's what emergency braking looks like.
Umm...not on a KLR.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #34
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post
What is your basis for comparing a Kawi ZX6R to a Harley?
He didn't compare the Kawi to a Harley; he said the guy was a Harley rider, meaning he can't stop or turn well. No mad skillz!!
Old 09-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #35
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,392
This thread seems to be moving along nicely...
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #36
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
One time I was on a ride with two friends -- one in front and one behind. I lost focus for a few seconds, and when I clued back in, my friend in front was stopped waiting for a left turn. The friend following me said my rear wheel made it about two feet in the air. That's what emergency braking looks like.
lmao

No. That is called "panic braking."
You frickin panicked and through sheer dumb luck stayed upright.

Unless of course you can properly explain to us how any motorcycle stops more quickly and safely with one wheel on the ground as opposed to both?

You're one 'STOP' away from being a "I had to layer down" clown...

I'd also submit you are a poor rider and one of the many reasons why I choose not to ride with inexperienced riders....
Saying you 'lost focus for a few seconds' just doesn't cut it because your attention had been distracted for more than a few seconds as (by your own words) "my friend in front was stopped waiting for a left turn."

How the hell do you miss your friend coming to a complete stop in front of you!

Red9 screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 06:39 AM
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #37
wiseblood OP
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
lmao

No. That is called "panic braking."
You frickin panicked and through sheer dumb luck stayed upright.

Unless of course you can properly explain to us how any motorcycle stops more quickly and safely with one wheel on the ground as opposed to both?

You're one 'STOP' away from being a "I had to layer down" clown...

I'd also submit you are a poor rider and one of the many reasons why I choose not to ride with inexperienced riders....
Saying you 'lost focus for a few seconds' just doesn't cut it because your attention had been distracted for more than a few seconds as (by your own words) "my friend in front was stopped waiting for a left turn."

How the hell do you miss your friend coming to a complete stop in front of you!

Well, well...

First off, my situation was all my fault. I was fiddling with my GPS, and not keeping my eyes (and brain) where it ought to be.

All emergency braking is panic braking.

The measure of success is whether you were able to avoid what you were about to hit, not crash, and stay in control.

If you don't think fuck ups can happen to you, or if you think you're so experienced that you don't have anything left to learn, then you are dangerous, and should probably give up riding.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #38
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, well...

First off, my situation was all my fault. I was fiddling with my GPS, and not keeping my eyes (and brain) where it ought to be.

All emergency braking is panic braking.

The measure of success is whether you were able to avoid what you were about to hit, not crash, and stay in control.

If you don't think fuck ups can happen to you, or if you think you're so experienced that you don't have anything left to learn, then you are dangerous, and should probably give up riding.

Most of us measure success not by how close we came to missing what we weren't paying attention to but by paying attention and assessing correctly the situation before hand.

Truthfully, if you hadn't made the disparaging Harley statement to begin with, I would never have posted.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #39
wiseblood OP
Hall Monitor

Quote:

Most of us measure success not by how close we came to missing what we weren't paying attention to but by paying attention and assessing correctly the situation before hand.

Truthfully, if you hadn't made the disparaging Harley statement to begin with, I would never have posted.
Yeah, I got that. This guy was on a Sportbike, so the statement was pretty obviously ironic.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #40
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, I got that. This guy was on a Sportbike, so the statement was pretty obviously ironic.
You know what?

I apologize for giving you a hard time.
You seem a decent fellow.

Ride safe.

Red
Old 09-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #41
wiseblood OP
Hall Monitor

Quote:
You know what?

I apologize for giving you a hard time.
You seem a decent fellow.

Ride safe.

Red

Old 09-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #42
air-cooled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216

i saw this clip, reminded me of this topic
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #43
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by air-cooled View Post
i saw this clip, reminded me of this topic
That rider there in that video does not have the skill to go that fast. The car does not just jump up in front of him, and as he brakes, he also makes a weird maneuver to exactly the wrong direction, probably in panic. Should have gone as far left as he can, then he wouldīve had some free room in front of him even if the car does come into the left lanem and he finds out he canīt slow down in time. Clearly did not have a īplan Bī, and at those speeds that can be lethal.

(and I could be 100% wrong here, and itīs just my 0.00000000000000002...)
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #44
air-cooled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
mwoahh

overhere, most left part of the left lane always have some dirt laying around which is not that good for hard braking.

that said, to reduce your speed from 280 till 130 needs some effort, everybody can go fast but i thought that this braking, was well done. if it was smart to do that speed over there, i guess not, but that is something different, good thing is than again, he was paying attention and not using the rear brake.
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #45
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by air-cooled View Post
overhere, most left part of the left lane always have some dirt laying around which is not that good for hard braking.

that said, to reduce your speed from 280 till 130 needs some effort, everybody can go fast but i thought that this braking, was well done. if it was smart to do that speed over there, i guess not, but that is something different, good thing is than again, he was paying attention and not using the rear brake.

He wasn't even going FAST, 230? Thats metric mph not hardly even movin!!!

FWIW, I think his skill is fine, he avoided colliding with the cager. He probably shouldn't be going that much faster than the rest of the traffic though.