User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
nunzo OP
nunzo

Oddometer: 282
3500 rpm stutter

My 08 990 Adv has always has the notorious jerky/snatchy throttle at low rpm. The 16tooth CS helped some. I then changed the mapping (Tune ECU) from Stock (lean) to the HEX with the Akros. The bike is all OEM except for Leo Vince slip on pipes. After the 15 minute idle trick, it seemed run pretty well...for a while. Now there is a noticeable stutter around 3500-4,000 rpm. When on the gas hard, i fly right through the issue without hesitation. However, when tooling around in traffic at those rpm, it bucking like a wild bronco! A lot of clutch modulation helps, but the 2-3 rd gear zone around 3500 rpm is killing the fun.

Any advice would be appreciated. I could start playing with the maps again, but it sure would be nice to ride this beast around town with out losing my motorcycle license!
nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Lots of things going on at those RPMs.
The ignition has a strange curve to it, in and around those rpms, the second fuel table comes into play at that spot also.

Have you ran the bike with the O2s turned off yet?

I tweaked the stock map for my bike, i added 3% to the fuel trim table up to 10% throttle (1% at 10% throttle then 2% then 3% to idle), and straightened out the ignition and set the F/L switch points much lower.

I dont run the second butterflies on my bike, before TuneECU came out i removed them because it was like a light switch, either on or off. That cured that issue for me.

I could go get that current map from my bike if you would like to look at it? You would need to reactivate the secondary flies if you want to try it.

The simple test for me whether or not a map is going to make me smile or not is to start the bike and run the throttle to different RPMs and hold it in one spot, if it is not stable and hunts and doesn't holds a steady RPM it's not going to be smooth when riding.
edit; That is with a fully warmed up bike.

Dusty screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 03:05 PM
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 712
I have a 06 with Akras. Mine was a bit jerky. What I found works well was TuneEcu Akra map, Throttle cam, 17/45 gearing, make sure valves are correct, then I would check TPS and Throttle ballance. The last 3 things must be right or you will chase in circles for years. No fun !
Mine runs buttery smooth right thru Hmmmmmmm !
Old 09-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
nunzo OP
nunzo

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Lots of things going on at those RPMs.
The ignition has a strange curve to it, in and around those rpms, the second fuel table comes into play at that spot also.

Have you ran the bike with the O2s turned off yet?

I tweaked the stock map for my bike, i added 3% to the fuel trim table up to 10% throttle (1% at 10% throttle then 2% then 3% to idle), and straightened out the ignition and set the F/L switch points much lower.

I dont run the second butterflies on my bike, before TuneECU came out i removed them because it was like a light switch, either on or off. That cured that issue for me.

I could go get that current map from my bike if you would like to look at it? You would need to reactivate the secondary flies if you want to try it.

The simple test for me whether or not a map is going to make me smile or not is to start the bike and run the throttle to different RPMs and hold it in one spot, if it is not stable and hunts and doesn't holds a steady RPM it's not going to be smooth when riding.
edit; That is with a fully warmed up bike.

Dusty-Appreciate the offer and would like to take you up on that map. I am new to Tune ECU if it's not already obvious I assume it's a click of the box to reactivate the 2ndary butterfly?

When additing the % on the fuel map I assume it running much richer with no bog?
nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
"E=nunzo;22273596]Dusty-Appreciate the offer and would like to take you up on that map. I am new to Tune ECU if it's not already obvious I assume it's a click of the box to reactivate the 2ndary butterfly?

When additing the % on the fuel map I assume it running much richer with no bog?[/QUOTE]
Yes

You forgot to answer my question...Have you ran the bike with the O2s turned off yet?

3% is 50% less then the Arko map.
I am running the stock 07 map.... the leanest map ever put on these bikes from the factory, same as your stock map. Its not running fat.

You need to get very familiar with TuneECU, always use the compare maps feature to make certain you are putting on what you want. DarkOrange"