Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Flynch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Manassas VA- maybe someone knows this guy?

Hey- I'm posting under my husband's account, I asked him if it would be OK for me to share this story I saw today on a horse forum- I thought that in the motorcycle community- surely someone knows this guy.

Summary- A bridle path crosses a busy road at the Battlefield park. Traffic in both directions had stopped to allow horse riders to cross the road and a motorcyclist crossed double yellow and went around the stopped cars and gunned it at the horses causing a spook/wreck with injuries.

Sadly the description in the news stories isn't all that good- they don't even give a type of motorcycle but it's possible that the police know a little more than they are saying. Saddlebags, AK, and black and green jacket.

It sounds like this same guy did this at least twice recently- this woman was seriously injured- the extent of her injuries was really just a toss of the dice- she could have been killed.

Most motorcyclists are VERY considerate around horses, and sometimes you might accidentally startle a horse if you don't know there are there or how strong their reaction might be- but this dude is intentionally menacing women on horses and I hope karma comes a-knockin'.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/27...yclist-in-park

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2334111...#ixzz2e0sTx0dg
Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Best way for riders to be banned from parks.

I hope karma will catch this asshole.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,911
Holy crap. What a fuckstick. Hope he is found and has his teeth non-surgically removed.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Best way for riders to be banned from parks.

I hope karma will catch this asshole.
Hard to ban vehicles from public roads.

US-29 (Lee Highway) and VA-234 (Sudley Road) intersect within the battlefield.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”

rocker59 screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 11:12 AM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Seems he uses the road regularly, I would park my butt in the area and watch for him.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrulz View Post
Seems he uses the road regularly, I would park my butt in the area and watch for him.
Yep.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,802
major road

Quote:
Lee Highway is a major road. Lots of people use it. He did this on purpose and so he knows what he did. Likely he has a new jacket now or takes the car for the next few days.

This is also the same type of person that would blast past a stopped school bus letting off kids. The only way to stop a person like that is to catch them and take away their license for some time. Suspension of the license and fines are the only way to change that behavior. I hope he is caught.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Yeah, this was posted over on our local sport bike board the other day. Drawing mixed reactions there.

I also posted it to our local area rider Facebook page. IDK if anything will come of it.

Selling my CBR
SxyRdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Suspension of the license and fines are the only way to change that behavior. I hope he is caught.
Long jail sentence with a room mate named "bubba"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
Yeah, this was posted over on our local sport bike board the other day. Drawing mixed reactions there.
What kind of "mixed" reactions?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean

Oddometer: 73
If this guy is indeed a repeat offender I hope you do catch him.

I will go as far as to pull over and shut down completely if I see horses coming my way....and I have to kick to get started again!

If the critters are stopped or going my way I am on eggshells passing them. It should be common decency for all riders, regardless of horse or bike, to wince at the thought of causing another rider to fall off.

If it makes you feel any better some idiot on a bicycle screamed out "behind you!" at the last second while I was longboarding a hill this week and I got run right off the road. Guy forgot he had brakes.....I guess its a common problem.

Maybe its the same guy. Short, foreign accent, silly spandex clothes, can't drive well, doesn't know where the brakes are. I will let you know if I run into him again.
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Hard to ban vehicles from public roads.

US-29 (Lee Highway) and VA-234 (Sudley Road) intersect within the battlefield.
It was a figure of speech, I know nothing about the Manassas National Battlefield Park.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,861
I am not defending the motorcycle actions in the least. You know what they say about 2 people and 3 opinions....

However as fellow horse rider that hacks down the road for trail access, I am often amazed at how much fellow equestrians expect of traffic. It's a public road. Quite frankly, it is entirely your responsibility to keep your horse "on the aids" in adverse conditions. People do shitty things, and you unfortunately should be planning to keep your horse under control for it all. I've had them honk, swerve, yell, thrown stuff, jake brake, rev, drag race, dust me, and the list goes on.

Certainly the news doesn't list all the details leading to accident, but they always say there is more than one reason for any accident. I know that it's tough to hear this as most riders don't have the proper training or a steady horse, but a "revving engine" should not send you into a tailspin, especially if you chose to cross a pubic road while mounted!

The bad news is stories like this do more to close trails to equestrian use, than to right-the-wrong. I wish her a speedy recovery and maybe she can spend sometime getting some books read on how to desensitize her horse as she convalesces or maybe mapping trails that don't cross roads.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 1,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
I am not defending the motorcycle actions in the least. You know what they say about 2 people and 3 opinions....

However as fellow horse rider that hacks down the road for trail access, I am often amazed at how much fellow equestrians expect of traffic. It's a public road. Quite frankly, it is entirely your responsibility to keep your horse "on the aids" in adverse conditions. People do shitty things, and you unfortunately should be planning to keep your horse under control for it all. I've had them honk, swerve, yell, thrown stuff, jake brake, rev, drag race, dust me, and the list goes on.

Certainly the news doesn't list all the details leading to accident, but they always say there is more than one reason for any accident. I know that it's tough to hear this as most riders don't have the proper training or a steady horse, but a "revving engine" should not send you into a tailspin, especially if you chose to cross a pubic road while mounted!

The bad news is stories like this do more to close trails to equestrian use, than to right-the-wrong. I wish her a speedy recovery and maybe she can spend sometime getting some books read on how to desensitize her horse as she convalesces or maybe mapping trails that don't cross roads.
Bitch.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,861
Be careful Gastone, or I'll get that misbehaving horse to kick the "good" side of your X-challenge frame for a matched set
Old 09-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 1,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorito View Post
be careful gastone, or i'll get that misbehaving horse to kick the "good" side of your x-challenge frame for a matched set
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote