Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #31
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Clearly, the elitists don't spend much time in Manassas. A careful look at the site you linked shows the city is safer than 37% of the cities in the US while places like Alexandria are safer than 38%. I can see how you would sneer at those peasants outside the Beltway.
I've spent plenty of time there! I stand by my assertion that it sucks! Try hanging out in Manassas Park!

Btw name calling doesn't help the case that the locals are good people!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #32
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I've spent plenty of time there! I stand by my assertion that it sucks! Try hanging out in Manassas Park!

Btw name calling doesn't help the case that the locals are good people!

Jim
Ummm... Manassas Park is a completely different city. That would be like saying hanging out in Arlington reflects the realities of living in Alexandria. I didn't call you a name either. I simply pointed out that elitists need to get their facts straight. I stand by that statement, especially in light of your confusion over which Virginia city you are lambasting.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #33
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

A responsible equestrian will not ride a questionable mount in an uncertain environment.

Aggressive, attack like behavior can spook even the best trained animals
So, which is it? Unsafe horse or unsafe rider? You crack open the throttle on a high performance street bike with an aftermarket muffler and you'll scare anything in a 1/4 mile radius, if they aren't expecting it.

Besides, the trail crosses the road, doesn't parallel it.

What the fuck is wrong with people now days? When I was growing up, about 20 miles west of Manassas, people came up on a slower moving vehicle or animal they slowed, waited until a safe place to pass, then waved(with the entire hand) as they drove by.
Now days people don't use their brakes unless they're fixing to run off a cliff, Ride your ass, pass in unsafe places, give you the bird and just generally do what the fuck they please, as long as a LEO isn't around.
Ignorant MFer's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Try hanging out in Georgetown South!
Fixed!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #34
SxyRdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Supposedly Georgetown South is improving? Haven't lived in Manassas since the mid-90s. Used to live over in the apartments at Hastings and Dumfries.

We live down south of Nokesville now...
2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #35
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
We live down south of Nokesville now...

M
Old 09-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #36
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
So, which is it? Unsafe horse or unsafe rider? You crack open the throttle on a high performance street bike with an aftermarket muffler and you'll scare anything in a 1/4 mile radius, if they aren't expecting it.
Totally unsafe MC rider, and possibly poor judgment by the equestrian?

A horse is a dumb animal that will react instinctual unless trained to do otherwise, and its rider should know how it will react to anything it may encounter in a public environment..
Old 09-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #37
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Totally unsafe MC rider, and possibly poor judgment by the equestrian?

A horse is a dumb animal that will react instinctual unless trained to do otherwise, and its rider should know how it will react to anything it may encounter in a public environment..
What part of this...

Quote:
Summary- A bridle path crosses a busy road at the Battlefield park. Traffic in both directions had stopped to allow horse riders to cross the road and a motorcyclist crossed double yellow and went around the stopped cars and gunned it at the horses causing a spook/wreck with injuries.
don't you understand? I'd put money on well trained Police horses getting spooked under those circumstances.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #38
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
A responsible equestrian will not ride a questionable mount in an uncertain environment. The best course of action when encountering horses is to simply continue with what you are doing.

On the other hand, what the motorcycle rider did was totally wrong. Aggressive, attack like behavior can spook even the best trained animals
Horses are prey animals which rely on flight as thier primary defense. From the description, the riders were using a crossing and were almost across when the motorcycle passed behind them and revved his uncorked engine, mere feet from the backs of the horses.

People can say all they want about thier supposedly well trained horses, but my opinion after a lifetime around horses is that 99 out of 100 horses would've bolted or reared when put in this situation.

The guy on the motorcycle is pure douchebag and I hope there are some friends of the injured equestrian watching for this fucker out there on Lee Highway.

As for taking a questionable mount in to uncertain circumstances, the animal has to be exposed to new stimuli to become desensitized, so it's a chicken or egg kind of deal.

I haven't looked it up, but I wouldn't doubt that Virginia is like many States and lists horses alongside bicycles and motorcycles as legal users of the roadways with cars and trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

Besides, the trail crosses the road, doesn't parallel it.

What the fuck is wrong with people now days? When I was growing up, about 20 miles west of Manassas, people came up on a slower moving vehicle or animal they slowed, waited until a safe place to pass, then waved(with the entire hand) as they drove by.
Now days people don't use their brakes unless they're fixing to run off a cliff, Ride your ass, pass in unsafe places, give you the bird and just generally do what the fuck they please, as long as a LEO isn't around.
Ignorant MFer's
I spent the summer of 2006 in the Manassas area. Bristow/Brentsville, actually. Liked the area. Hated the people and the congestion. I had more road rage incidents in three months there than I have the rest of my life. Probably experienced more rude and shitty people that summer than in the entire rest of my life. I don't know what the deal is in NOVA and DC, but people are generally fucked up.

It's a shame, really, because the country is beautiful. I don't have any plans to return there, though...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”

rocker59 screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 09:09 AM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #39
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

I'm not defending the MC riders behavior in any way, I'm simply pointing out the equestrian may have made a poor choice of where they rode, and that you shouldn't need to be afraid of their possible reactions to normal circumstances.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #40
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
you shouldn't need to be afraid of their possible reactions to normal circumstances.
You would describe this as a "normal circumstance"?

" a motorcyclist crossed double yellow and went around the stopped cars and gunned it at the horses "
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #41
Navy Chief
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post

" a motorcyclist crossed double yellow and went around the stopped cars and gunned it at the horses "
Not in any way defending the asshat who perpetrated this... However I would say that riding a horse in an area where you know you will be crossing roads it is not unthinkable that they may encounter engine noise in the course of the days ride. The circumstances of this incident are unusual, but not really that different than if the path paralleled the road and somebody revved their engine while passing.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #42
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Not in any way defending the asshat who perpetrated this... However I would say that riding a horse in an area where you know you will be crossing roads it is not unthinkable that they may encounter engine noise in the course of the days ride. The circumstances of this incident are unusual, but not really that different than if the path paralleled the road and somebody revved their engine while passing.
This is a known, and signed, path crossing on US-29/Lee Highway about 3/4 mile east of Sudley road. There are yelow diamond advisory signs for the motorists to be aware of horses crossing the 2-lane roadway.

From the description, as I read it, the motorcyclist raced towards the horses and passed within a few feet of them as he raced through the crossing.

Sorry, but what would you people be saying if a pedestrian had been injured in a crossing due to the actions of a driver or motorcyclist ??

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 09-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #43
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post

Again, I am not defending the MC riders actions in any, and what he did is NOT "normal conditions", but an equestrian choosing to ride on or across a public road should be prepaired for such bad behavior because loosing control can cause harm, ergo being over cautious around horses is not nessary.

I am not disagreeing with you.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #44
SxyRdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
If you see a silver CBR1kRR riding around with a red Wee and/or a silver BMW R12RT... that's me on the CBR. I don't work up north except the occasional weekend so I'm rarely traveling up through that area. But the boy (Wee) and I went to Winchester last weekend and took the long way around (via Luray, 211 and Warrenton) to come home.
2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #45
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm not defending the MC riders behavior in any way, I'm simply pointing out the equestrian may have made a poor choice of where they rode, and that you shouldn't need to be afraid of their possible reactions to normal circumstances.
I'm simply pointing out that the motorcyclist made an even poorer choice of where to be a dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief
Not in any way defending the asshat who perpetrated this... However I would say that riding a horse in an area where you know you will be crossing roads it is not unthinkable that they may encounter engine noise in the course of the days ride.
Normal engine noise yes. Some squid gunning an uncorked sport bike right next to the horse just to be a dick, NO!